Is it better to not drink while you eat?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Is it better to not drink while you eat?

Post by Winston »

Some people tell me that you should not drink while you eat, and that you should wait at least 30 minutes before and after you eat to drink something. Otherwise, the drink will dilute your food and mess with your digestion. Is that true? Is this why some people do not drink while they eat?

Is this the reason why Taiwanese people do not traditionally drink beverages at the same time that they eat? (Many canteens in Taiwan do not serve drinks, only soups, amazingly).
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

onezero4u
Freshman Poster

Post by onezero4u »

ive usually just drank a small amount (1 cup or so) and always tibid and warm liquid. icy drinks retards the digestion process (imo)
marriage is a 3 ring circus: engagement ring, wedding ring and then suffering.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

i think the drink has to be warm to help your digestion, so tea or warm soup maybe part of the reason asians are so skinny. of course it has mostly to do with genes and what they eat

also water is really good for you, but if you drink it during or after you eat it goes through your digestive system. what i do is drink a cup or more of water when i wake up 10 or more minutes before i eat breakfast. if you want to lose weight one of the best things you can do is drink a liter of water in the morning. (hopefully filtered free of sodium fluoride, etc) and of course there's no better time to work-out/exercise because you're burning off accumulated fat and not the food you just ate mid-day.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is it better to not drink while you eat?

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:Some people tell me that you should not drink while you eat, and that you should wait at least 30 minutes before and after you eat to drink something. Otherwise, the drink will dilute your food and mess with your digestion. Is that true? Is this why some people do not drink while they eat?

Is this the reason why Taiwanese people do not traditionally drink beverages at the same time that they eat? (Many canteens in Taiwan do not serve drinks, only soups, amazingly).
Liquid dilute the digestive fluids, it doesn't matter if it's from soup, hot tea, iced water, or watermelon (92% water, 6% sugar). Some Taiwanese do not like chilled drinks with their (hot) meals, but would drink hot tea or hot water, and hot soup (not sweet and sour soup) after the meal. Back in 1980's western style fine dining restaurants in Taiwan would serve clear/hot beef consommé soup by default with steak dinners, but most don't prep it in traditional French style, which is a pity. You won't find consommé jardiniere or consommé au vermicelli on the menu. ;p

Many Taiwanese canteens do carry chilled drinks for those who like them, popular ones are "sour plum soup" (with lots of sugar), orange juice (sugar added), and Taiwan Beer. Fizzypops are not as popular except western style fast food chains. The Vietnamese's version of plum drink is soda xi muoi, which is preserved plum with sugar and club soda.

Recently there has been some interesting fusion drinks, such as sea-salt coffee served by 85C bakery. You can read about it here:
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 35,00.html

Is it harmful to drink fluids while eating? Like most other things in life, in moderation is probably fine.

Here's a few pics of soup stocks I made in class:

Last edited by momopi on February 7th, 2011, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I personally almost only drink liquids while eating and I haven't noticed any health negatives because of it in my life. I find it difficult to just drink liquids casually without food unless I force myself to. I hate having to take a piss every so often, its annoying, especially at night while trying to sleep. Another example like drinking alcohol, I only do it socially but almost never at home. I'll drink plain water if i'm really dehydrated but it only on the hottest days or if i'm exercising and sweating a lot.

I've never got into the habit of carrying around water bottles or other liquids, like coffee or whatnot. I always drink when eating for the most part. I've recently took up the task of bringing thermos to work with me cause i prefer to have cold liquids and in the heat of the Philippines they don't stay cold for long and also the 7-11's and Ministops don't keep their fridges very cold so the drinks you but warm fast.

One thing I do not like however is when places chock my drinks full of ice. All it is is a means to dilute the original drink so the place can save money. i almost always ask for no ice. Philippines is notorious for filling cups with mostly ice.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.