Is it possible to reverse grey hair? How do you treat it?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Winston
Site Admin

Is it possible to reverse grey hair? How do you treat it?

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
With more hair strands on my head going gray, I was wondering if I should use that "Just For Men" product that my dad uses, where you wash your hair with it and it dyes your hair black. Is that a good idea?

The problem is that I don't see it in the Philippines.

I read an online article that said that you can use shampoos with certain vitamins such as Omega 3 and emu oil that may darken your hair and reverse the graying process. But I don't see anything like that here. How do you find shampoos like that? And what brand are they?

Is it better to use a shampoo with darkening vitamins or the Just For Men hair dye product?

Any experiences?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

If you are in the RP, get it dyed. It will cost you nothing.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

globetrotter wrote:If you are in the RP, get it dyed. It will cost you nothing.
Huh? I don't know of any salon here that would do that for free!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

I just go to the store and buy the same hair dies women use. It's easy to put on yourself and gives a natural color. The stuff they sell to men is low quality and noticable.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Winston wrote:
My haircut, dye job, and a fresh shave and facial/cranial massage cost me 20 CNY last week.

That is $2.93 USD.

A closer sum to "nothing" I have never heard of in the past 60 years.

You do have $3 bucks, yes?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

globetrotter wrote:
Winston wrote:
My haircut, dye job, and a fresh shave and facial/cranial massage cost me 20 CNY last week.

That is $2.93 USD.

The salons here charge at least 1000p to dye your hair, not $3. No way. You must live somewhere else.

My hair is short and I keep it short. Dying my hair would not last very long at all, as I get it cut short every month. I was looking for a hair wash like "Just for Men" that my dad uses in which you wash your hair with it everyday like shampoo. Where do you get that here?

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Like I said to you before, buy some henna shampoo; Sunsilk makes it and use that everyday. Since your hair is naturally black it it will cover up your gray within a few days of using it. I think you can even buy conditioner also with henna in it. It should cost less than 100 pesos for a big bottle. Problem solved.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S wrote:Like I said to you before, buy some henna shampoo; Sunsilk makes it and use that everyday. Since your hair is naturally black it it will cover up your gray within a few days of using it. I think you can even buy conditioner also with henna in it. It should cost less than 100 pesos for a big bottle. Problem solved.
I have been to the supermarket many times and bought all the Sunsilk shampoos of all colors. I don't remember the word henna on it. But I will look for it specifically next time. What color is it?

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

It's either Sunsilk or Creamsilk brand. I've tried it before. It's essentially what you are looking for, it darkens your hair gradually as you use it and is more of a natural coloring system. If you stop using it your hair will revert to normal eventually once it washes out. Next time I go out I'll see if they sell it here. It's possible they don't make it anymore since it was 4 or 5 years ago when I last used it. But You could probably go to a store that sells lots of different brands of shampoo and find a different one. They definitely have them in Manila, perhaps not in Angeles. If you want I can just get you a bottle when I see one and you can pay me back.

I think it's in a purple/black/white bottle...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Winston wrote:
globetrotter wrote:
Winston wrote:

That is $2.93 USD.

The salons here charge at least 1000p to dye your hair, not $3. No way. You must live somewhere else.

My hair is short and I keep it short. Dying my hair would not last very long at all, as I get it cut short every month. I was looking for a hair wash like "Just for Men" that my dad uses in which you wash your hair with it everyday like shampoo. Where do you get that here?
I live in China and you price quote is 8X what I pay even in a bigger city. You must live in a large city and/or get the gwapo gringho price.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

Funny I should stumble on this thread now, since I have an appointment to get my hair colored in an hour. I say get a professional to do it, even if it is costly. I used to pay an arm and a leg to get my hair dyed, but when I got bummed about the money I was spending, I just reminded myself that at my age, I was lucky to still have all my hair, even if it was going gray. Now I have a friend who's a hairdresser, so she gives me a huge discount on my hair cuts and coloring. Maybe you should start dating a hairdresser, Winston LOL.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Before treating gray hair, I'd suggest checking to see if the gray hair makes you look better or worse.

There are instances where some gray hair actually makes the man look more mature and professional, so you have to evaluate it on case by case basis.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S,
I found the henna shampoo in Watsons. But I got another one called Dual Care next to it that said it would banish gray hair.

The thing is, it said it would take 2 to 3 months to work. But my hair is always short and I get it cut every month, so by the time it's next month, the part of my hair that was in the previous month is already cut off.

So would that still work for me? Does this thing treat the roots?

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Gray hair is not usually a liability if you keep yourself up otherwise. That you have hair on the top of your head is more important. If not, just shave yourself bald for a new younger hip look.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

Grey hair ages me 10 years easily. I don't look younger or better with it. I just look old and tired.