Winston's high blood pressure/hypertension problem

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Question about Winston's hypertension medicine

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: Or should I just stop taking all medications altogether and start lifestyle changes such as losing weight, dieting and exercising, reducing intake, etc. which all sources said should reduce hypertension and bring blood pressure to normal levels?
I'd take the lifestyle changes over meds.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

WiseTruth
Freshman Poster

Re: Question about Winston's hypertension medicine

Post by WiseTruth »

'where there is no health consciousness'

What did you eat in Philpines??, I know you dont eat meat so how the hell did you get fat?
It's no great mystery how he got fat. He's lazy, he over-ate, and he indulged in all kinds of unhealthy foods that taste good but are bad for you. And since doing nothing is easier than doing something, he chose the former.

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote: Or should I just stop taking all medications altogether and start lifestyle changes such as losing weight, dieting and exercising, reducing intake, etc. which all sources said should reduce hypertension and bring blood pressure to normal levels?
I'd take the lifestyle changes over meds.
I disagree. I think this free-thinking, charming, handsome intellectual should go right ahead and do what he's been doing all along. He's obviously serious about solving his personal problem -- can't you tell? Hell, he's been on hypertension meds for 10 years! He must be doing something right, don't you think? Seriously, Winston: for a guy who's about to hit 40, you don't sound like a jackass at all!
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Post by onethousandknives »

At 19 I was diagnosed hypertensive. My blood pressure was 150/90. I weighed 220 or 215lbs or so. I found out just eating garlic would drop it to higher 130s, after a month of exercise, 130/80, 4 months, 120/60, also dropped to 180lbs. And this is with a doctor telling me " don't think you can solve this with just exercise and diet alone." Yeah whatever. It took almost no junk food, lots of fruits and veggies, and an hour a day of exercise everyday, plus an extra hour 3/7 days of the week.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

It looks like the doctor was right about Atenolol. According to studies, beta blockers like Atenolol seem to increase the risk of heart attack or stroke. See below.

http://www.theheart.org/article/913561.do

http://voices.yahoo.com/if-re-taking-at ... 52368.html

But at one time though, Atenolol was said to be safe. How can you trust any of these drugs when doctors keep changing their mind about them all the time?

I have no idea what I'm taking now though. It just says "Lostan" on the back of the package, but when you Google it, nothing comes up. The rest of the words are in Chinese. But it doesn't seem to work. My diastolic reading is still high.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Winston wrote:It looks like the doctor was right about Atenolol. According to studies, beta blockers like Atenolol seem to increase the risk of heart attack or stroke. See below.

http://www.theheart.org/article/913561.do

http://voices.yahoo.com/if-re-taking-at ... 52368.html

But at one time though, Atenolol was said to be safe. How can you trust any of these drugs when doctors keep changing their mind about them all the time?

I have no idea what I'm taking now though. It just says "Lostan" on the back of the package, but when you Google it, nothing comes up. The rest of the words are in Chinese. But it doesn't seem to work. My diastolic reading is still high.
You don't trust them, that's what.

Anyway, ever try traditional Chinese medicine? I've used some TCM things with good results. Also, if you want, garlic will drop your blood pressure. But you'll smell like garlic. But it will lower your blood pressure. Mine used to be 150 and it'd drop to high 130s with garlic.

But yeah, the only permanent high blood pressure solution is exercise, diet and weight loss. Medications should be used basically as bandaids, not longterm solutions to problems.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Correction: The hypertension medicine I'm taking now is called Losartan Potassium.

http://www.rxoutreach.org/wp-content/mo ... ssium.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28856 ... potassium/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Walk three miles a day and eat garlic and several other raw vegetables regularly, and the hypertension will be gone. Once they have you in the clutches of their medication regime, your chance for health is all but gone. You spend so much time worrying about far-fetched conspiracies, Winston, and lose sight of the transparently real ones, like Big Pharma's efforts to get you hooked on medicine for the rest of your life.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

gsjackson wrote:Walk three miles a day and eat garlic and several other raw vegetables regularly, and the hypertension will be gone. Once they have you in the clutches of their medication regime, your chance for health is all but gone. You spend so much time worrying about far-fetched conspiracies, Winston, and lose sight of the transparently real ones, like Big Pharma's efforts to get you hooked on medicine for the rest of your life.
So are they lying when they say that hypertension is genetic? Is that a scam to get you to take their drugs for life?

When you say garlic do you mean raw garlic? I tried doing that before but couldn't stand it. It was very hard to chew and swallow. I don't care about the smell, but the taste was hard to endure.

onethousandknives
Junior Poster

Winston wrote:
gsjackson wrote:Walk three miles a day and eat garlic and several other raw vegetables regularly, and the hypertension will be gone. Once they have you in the clutches of their medication regime, your chance for health is all but gone. You spend so much time worrying about far-fetched conspiracies, Winston, and lose sight of the transparently real ones, like Big Pharma's efforts to get you hooked on medicine for the rest of your life.
So are they lying when they say that hypertension is genetic? Is that a scam to get you to take their drugs for life?

When you say garlic do you mean raw garlic? I tried doing that before but couldn't stand it. It was very hard to chew and swallow. I don't care about the smell, but the taste was hard to endure.
lololol, I know Chinese folks that smell like garlic all the time. Need to get more Asianness in you to tolerate raw garlic. Raw garlic imo is best, but if you wanna swallow a spoon of garlic powder it'll be beneficial, and if you can't handle that, they make garlic extract pills, but overall raw garlic would be cheaper and more effective. Pills will make you smell least, though. Raw garlic goes through your skin and everyone hates you and you smell like garlic. So maybe just buy garlic pills. If you can't tolerate garlic (though pills you won't notice) you can always eat more onions and leaks, too.

And are they lying about saying it's genetic? More or less, yeah. I mean I'm sure you could say there's some sort of genetic link to any problem you have in life ever. But, in your case, it's not genetics. It's a combo of high stress levels, poor diet, no exercise, and being overweight. I can only off the top of my head think of one condition with high blood pressure as being genetic, and that's people with XYY chromosome disorder that have unnaturally high testosterone levels that because of that cause them to be like naturally on steroids all the time.

And yes, almost everything medically nowadays is a scam to try to get you on drugs and getting surgeries for life.

How the hell do you even get fat in Taiwan? You can go to street food vendors and buy real food, and their gyms look really nice there, too, at least from what I see in Frank Yang's videos.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just checked my blood pressure with a home device. It's 128 systolic/100 diastolic now. The systolic (heart pumping out) isn't that bad, just a little high. But the diastolic (heart pumping out) is way too high. It's supposed to be under 80, yet mine is consistently over 100. Sometimes it's even 110!

What can I do about it? The medicine I'm taking from Taiwan doesn't seem to help that much, if at all.

pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Winston wrote:I just checked my blood pressure with a home device. It's 128 systolic/100 diastolic now. The systolic (heart pumping out) isn't that bad, just a little high. But the diastolic (heart pumping out) is way too high. It's supposed to be under 80, yet mine is consistently over 100. Sometimes it's even 110!

What can I do about it? The medicine I'm taking from Taiwan doesn't seem to help that much, if at all.
Agree with the other posters. Forget about using pills and get yourself healthy again. Don't always look for the easy way out. Yes excersize and diet take mental fortitude and determination but find a way to make this happen before it's too late. With all due respect Winston, you are too young to be hooked on all these meds bro.

From one tennis player to another, start playing again! You've stated you don't like the hot Asian sun but find a buddy to hit with and wake up early and play. You already know tennis is a good workout so what's stopping you? Hey I stopped playing tennis for 30 years and I'm back into it again. When you are doing something that you enjoy it doesn't even seem like it's hard work. I'm a busy guy too but I don't let that be an excuse. Make time for excersize Winston.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Winston - my father is a cardiologist.

It's very simple - exercise, eat raw food and unprocessed cooked food with zero to very little oil, preferably olive oil. The exercise can just be walking (3 miles is good) and calisthenics.

Before you knock it and think your problem is based on genetics, give exercising and a diet overhaul a chance. But you have to make the effort.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

I agree with AmericaninBankok.

Eliminate all of the white in your diet. That means no rice, no potatoes, no corn, no pasta, no bread, no flour (flour eliminates cookies, cakes, etc).

Your veggies will be plaintain, sweet potato/yam and anything green and leafy.

Stick to that and you will lose weight over time.

Also, if you exercise, start slowly. Work out every other day for a month or until you feel very energetic. Then every day after 4-6 wks. The work your way up to an hour a day. If you start out too hard too fast, the cortisol level will rise in your body causing weight gain.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this site selling some simple exercise program for $49 that claims it is guaranteed to lower your blood pressure. What do you think? Should I get it? It's kind of strange though. If these exercises are so simple, why should I have to buy them?

http://blueheronhealthnews.com/site/the ... am-2?opt=1

anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

There is no substitute for hard work and a proper diet, believe me Winston. I trained pro fighters, my father is a cardiologist, and my mother is a doctor of dietetics. My own weight goes up and down because I have always trained as and like a fighter...I trained for 6-8 weeks, then don't do anything for a month. In that 6-8 weeks I might drop 20-30lbs. Then I'd gain most of it back in the time off.

Now that I'm older and my body is banged up, I'm more concerned about being healthy and not as concerned about my weight. Don't worry so much about your weight, just eat healthy, eat in moderation, and exercise...even walking is good.