Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.

View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme

What's your best weight loss tip?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Gazzio
Freshman Poster

Re: What's your best weight loss tip?

Post by Gazzio » May 23rd, 2019, 10:54 am

I believe that if you want to lose weight, then first of all you need to pay special attention to what you eat, start counting calories, or at least keep a food diary. So you can find the food that is harmful to your health and adds weight. Also, if you don't want to completely eliminate the pork ribs with beer, then you need to find the activity that you like - cycling, gym or home workouts. Perhaps you will enjoy group fitness classes, it also perfectly helps to lose weight and fit your body. Also don't forget about vitamins, supplements and enough water. Here waterbladderbag you can find an overview of various fitness drinks. This will help you be healthier and get the desired shape.

Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!

CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam » May 23rd, 2019, 1:45 pm

I went from "somewhat pudgy" to "slim" simply doing the following:
1. Cut alcohol consumption down by 90%. Only a light beer or two every week.
2. Eliminated desserts and snacking.
3. Eating very little after after 5pm.

Neo
Freshman Poster

Post by Neo » May 23rd, 2019, 2:48 pm

There are only two ways to lose weight. Here they are:
1. Reduce calorie intake.
2. Burn calories through exercise.

Probably better to start off exercise really slowly and lightly. Then gradually increase intensity, frequency, and duration over a few weeks to a few months.

I used to start off with walking 30-45 minutes daily, progressing on to jogging for 30-45 every other day or daily.

Some people go up to 2 hours a day with the cardio when they really want to get slim. One hour morning, one hour evening.

Results can seem to come very slowly, and the scale is not a good indicator. The fit of clothing is the best indicator for me.

Shemp
Junior Poster

Post by Shemp » May 23rd, 2019, 4:26 pm

Exercise has essentially no effect on weight. If you exercise, then you'll fidget less the rest of the day to compensate for the energy you burned exercising, and vice-versa. Eating less is the only effective way to lose weight in 99.9% of cases.

Stress definitely increases appetite, so reducing stress should be goal one. Sleep more and sleep better, in particular. Moderate exercise may reduce stress. Heavy exercise may increase stress, and thus appetite, causing overeating that more than offsets calories burned during the heavy exercise.

Intermittent fasting (eat once a day) has been shown over and over to be close to a miracle in reducing food intake, assuming you eat more or less healthy at that one meal. (One dessert okay, not a whole meal of nothing but desserts.) There are good physiological reasons for effectiveness of intermittent fasting, some of which relate back to stress reduction, since eating itself is a form of stress on the body.

HouseMD
Experienced Poster

Post by HouseMD » July 4th, 2019, 4:54 pm

So I've lost almost 30 pounds in the last two years using this one simple trick: portion control and cutting way back on alcohol. I have one day where I eat like I used to in order to keep my metabolism from slowing way down, but generally consume about 1000 calories less a day than previously. I also only eat when I'm hungry, rather than having fixed meal times, and stop eating when I feel satiated rather than full. I no longer keep snacks in the home or on me at work, and I was never one to eat sweets. Goal is to lose 15-30 more pounds.

Shemp
Junior Poster

Post by Shemp » July 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Stress causes an increase in appetite, which makes evolutionary sense because you need to pack emergency supplies onto your body, where no one can steal them, when times get tough. So my best weight loss tip is reduce stress. Especially get enough sleep. Practice breath control to reduce heart rate. Get some daily exercise and time in nature. Cut back on caffeine and other stress inducing substances. Reduce stress from work and home relationships, if possible. Cortisol is the most significant hormone associated with stress. High cortisol => high appetite.

Second tip is practice intermittent fasting. If you eat all your food in 3 hour period like me, and the food is fairly low fat and bulky (lots of fruits and vegetables and whole grains, limited oils, butter, cheese and nuts) it's very difficult to overeat. In particular, if you stuff too many carbs in at once, they'll ferment in the stomach. After that happens once or twice, you'll learn your lesson and be unlikely to repeat the mistake unless you enjoy nausea. Remarkably, intermittent fasting actually reduces hunger, converse of the old saying "eating restores the appetite". Technically, hunger hormone ghrelin diminishes during sleep and stays low until you resume eating. So that one big daily meal should be late in the afternoon, to ensure you still have food on your stomach, and thus no hunger, when you go to sleep again. Takes a few days before intermittent fasting feels comfortable.