Mexico's obesity epidemic...is it going down?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Mexico's obesity epidemic...is it going down?

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Two years ago, Mexico surpassed the U.S. as the world's fattest nation, with its obesity rate peakingat 30 percent at the time. Early last year, the Mexican government enforced a tax on junk food and soft drinks to help combat the obesity epidemic. As we know in America, the food industry places profit over health, which is totally insane. So I'm hoping the obesity rate in Mexico is down from the last couple of years, partly because I don't want to find out that every attractive woman in Mexico is taken, just like it is in America.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Mexico's obesity epidemic...is it going down?

Post by fschmidt »

When I first went to Mexico, there were almost no fat people there. Their diet was high in sugar and lard. Then came NAFTA and this made them fat. They replaced sugar with high fructose corn syrup and lard with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. American food is just poison. Mexicans will remain fat as long as they keep importing American food.
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Re: Mexico's obesity epidemic...is it going down?

Post by MattHanson1990 »

fschmidt wrote:When I first went to Mexico, there were almost no fat people there. Their diet was high in sugar and lard. Then came NAFTA and this made them fat. They replaced sugar with high fructose corn syrup and lard with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. American food is just poison. Mexicans will remain fat as long as they keep importing American food.
When I was in Ciudad Juarez, I noticed differences in the food there compared to American food. For instance, sodas in Mexico tasted different from their American counterparts; they had actual sugar and not corn syrup. A big part of my weight loss this year was eating food abroad.