Is Asian mall food just as bad in Asia?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Someone
Freshman Poster

Is Asian mall food just as bad in Asia?

Post by Someone »

Here in America typical Asian mall food is Panda Express, Sarku Express, Thai Chicken, etc. It's not good at all. They don't use white chicken (mostly dark chicken, which is cheaper), it's not very fresh and not flavorful.

But they're very pushy in getting you to stop by, they try to give you "free samples" of their shapeless dark chicken, knowing that Americans are easily impressed.

How's the mall food in Asia? Just as bland and mediocre as here?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

pete98146
Experienced Poster

Re: Is Asian mall food just as bad in Asia?

Post by pete98146 »

Someone wrote:Here in America typical Asian mall food is Panda Express, Sarku Express, Thai Chicken, etc. It's not good at all. They don't use white chicken (mostly dark chicken, which is cheaper), it's not very fresh and not flavorful.

But they're very pushy in getting you to stop by, they try to give you "free samples" of their shapeless dark chicken, knowing that Americans are easily impressed.

You'll see a lot of open air/hole in the wall type restaurants that are popular in Asia. The trick is to look for a place that is frequented by the locals. This pretty much ensures that the food is good, well priced and fresh. I've never eaten at a mall in Asia because there are so many of these types of places on every street corner.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

I've eaten has Hawker Centers as well as inside the malls. The biggest difference is that you get Aircon inside the malls while you eat. Also, the food is slightly more expensive inside the malls. Which is better is really dependent upon where you go...it really varies.

Asian food in Asia is much different than Asian food in the USA. Portions are smaller and it tastes different. Someone from the USA might not like Asian food in Asia. They do eat some things that would take some getting used to (or things you just refuse to eat) as a westerner.

Also, everywhere in Asia is different. Philippines won't have "Asian" food like most are used to. Food in Singapore is very simple and portions are very small. They import practically everything so some things are pretty expensive (beef in particular). I had some great food in Hong Kong that was reasonably priced. Thailand was probably the best bang for the buck for food quality and portion IMO.

I don't eat at Panda Express or any of those places in the US. I prefer to go to family run Asian food places (often run by immigrant families) as the food is more authentic and flavorful.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Taco »

Most Asian people won't eat American-Chinese food and you won't find it anywhere in Asia because its crap at its finest. When Asian people eat food at malls in the US its always American fast food. That said, a lot of authentic Asian food is crap too. Food like stinky tofu, balut, chicken intestines, pork blood on a skewer, chicken feet etc... Thailand is supposed to have the best restaurants in Asia from what I've heard.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I heard the hawker stands in Singapore, serve incredible food. I want to try it one day, whenever I get to Singapore. ...

As Pete mentioned in his post: go to any food stall that serves many people and is constantly busy; that's always a good sign. Never go to a place that is always empty (bad sign).

Since I've been in China, I've lost maybe, 20 pounds (seriously!). Yeah, some of it may be unappetizing for a Westerner, but don't tell me the food in Asia isn't healthier for me than the crap they call 'food' in the United States. Otherwise, I wouldn't have lost all this weight, naturally, without working-out much.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

zboy1 wrote:I heard the hawker stands in Singapore, serve incredible food. I want to try it one day, whenever I get to Singapore. ...

As Pete mentioned in his post: go to any food stall that serves many people and is constantly busy; that's always a good sign. Never go to a place that is always empty (bad sign).

Since I've been in China, I've lost maybe, 20 pounds (seriously!). Yeah, some of it may be unappetizing for a Westerner, but don't tell me the food in Asia isn't healthier for me than the crap they call 'food' in the United States. Otherwise, I wouldn't have lost all this weight, naturally, without working-out much.
There are some good places to eat there, but not all hawker centers have great food. I was lucky enough to leave near an area that had some great places to eat...all within walking distance. There are also some stalls near the mall in China Town that serve some amazing food as well....I really miss it.

Thailand has good food as well and portions are bigger for the same $$. It's really easy to lose weight in Singapore if you eat like a local...that is for sure.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Is Asian mall food just as bad in Asia?

Post by momopi »

Someone wrote:Here in America typical Asian mall food is Panda Express, Sarku Express, Thai Chicken, etc. It's not good at all. They don't use white chicken (mostly dark chicken, which is cheaper), it's not very fresh and not flavorful.
First, "Asian Mall Food" is a very broad term. The kind of food you'd find at a mall in Singapore would vary greatly from SM Mall in Philippines.

Second, in many Asian countries, the preference for chicken is dark meat, and chicken breast is considered dry and unappetizing. In Taiwan, for example, chicken breast is cheaper than legs and thighs at the market.

Third, in Asia food courts are not limited to malls. In Singapore you'd find food courts located in front of many residential blocks, and in Taiwan you'd find a variety of food served at night markets. Hypermarts and department stores in Asia also have large food courts.

Food served (or originated from) ethnic groups that are traditionally very poor tend to use cuts and leftovers that the wealthy did not want. For example the ethnic Koreans in Japan cooked with horumon (offal), such as intestines, hearts, tripe, etc. In Vietnam and Taiwan you'd find food like pig's blood pudding, which is reflective of blood sausages popular with poorer rural folks around the world. Generally these authentic "poor people's food" are not served at more upscale food courts, and you have to visit night markets or hawker centers to find them.