Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Dr. William Davis: Wheat Belly - Does wheat cause all your health problems and obesity?

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
October 4th, 2023, 5:04 am
@MrMan

Well the term GMO is nebulous. It depends on your definition of GMO. To some, manipulating wheat like America did in the 60s is GMO. To others it isn't. You should listen to Dr. William Davis' lectures to learn why he thinks it is GMO. And see the CBC documentary above too, which presents both sides. Regardless, if millions of people say that something works, I'd rather listen to them than some dumb "food scientist" who is government funded. It's a no brainer. Why would I trust anything a corrupt government says?
I thought GMO referred specifically to when they split the genes and add in another gene. The previous method was breeding plants together to get seeds from plants that came out a certain way. It's more similar to breeding dogs for certain characteristics. Breeding is not the right word.

Suppose there was a plant that made a natural insecticide that kills a bug that likes wheat. They use some kind of technique to replace part of corn DNA with the insecticide DNA.... and we get to eat the corn. Yippeee! That's GMO, at least how I understand it.

Even if they use traditional techniques used after Gregor Mendel figured out genetics, or before that, they can still end up with a low nutrition... except for carbs... plant.

Maybe the blog is right and stuff like Roundup is causing some of the health issues. From the first article, I don't get the impression that wheat was originally bad.

It is harder for me to keep my weight down as I age. I'm taking turmeric, in a soup I make, with kale as part of a liver cleanse. I need to go low carb for two weeks. A study shows that can reduce liver fat by 40%. My theory is the liver becomes less efficient at processing carbs if it is too fatty, so I want a more efficient carb-processing system.

I don't care to be on low carb forever, but if I could change my diet up, that could help. The season will eventually draw to a close, but we get lots of green beans from the garden these days. In the past few years, my wife has become a skilled gardener and has turned our back yard into a vegetable jungle that impresses gardeners who see it. We'll see how the greens she planted fare, but the kale is taking off. I suppose for a few months out of the year, I could eat green beans and cut out rice and bread and still get carbs. We have to dig up our sweet potatoes.

I am interested in buying that cassava starch to see if I can still eat carbs after I lose some pounds on a low carb diet, and keep it off. It could be the right carbs would work.

I have a daughter who likes to bake. If we just gave her organic whole wheat flour to work with, I wonder if that would work for not adding on pounds, or if some niche variety of wheat would work.

Dr. Grundy's videos kind of got me down on grains and beans. But you have to eat something, and I don't really trust his theory. He might have lost weight because switching from bad fluffed up refined wheat with Roundup on it to sweet potatoes which are full of fiber helped him lose weight.

I need to get my wife and the girls who cook around here on the same page when it comes to mixing up the cooking with lots of veggies.

We have some greens growing, but we don't eat them that much. And my wife can make the best greens I've ever tasted. Maybe I should harvest them, and put them on the counter for her to cook when she's cooking. She put a lot of work into the garden, though, and might feel robbed if I do too much of the harvesting. She likes to do that.