Best Country To Get Fit

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Best Country To Get Fit

Post by Jester »

I read that older expats who move to Belize start looking younger and healthier.

Noone is sure why.

What about it - are there some countries where it's easier to get fit?

I suppose the Germany, Austria, Holland, Scandinavia and New Zealand would be great, with free outdoor fitness parks, abundant bicycles, etc. And I know South Africans are nuts for sports and outdoors.

But I'm talking about Latin America, Asia, and the FSU. Are there places where an American expat could live for a while, where the society, the air, the chi, whatever, encourages rebuilding fitness?

For example in Tijuana, there was an atmosphere of fear (along with the greed), and I saw noone working out, and noone at the beach. Down the coast in Ensenada, there were joggers and cyclists along the beach, and a nice walkway along the port (I forget what this is called).

I would go a lot further than Mexico if there is a health-and-fitness benefit to it.

I have noticed that the company I keep (or don't keep) has a LOT of influence on how much I exercise, and what I eat and drink. Are there are some peoples - or some places - that have a mysterious positive influence on health? Or are conducive to getting back in shape?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

yes interesting topic. the turks in ankara are very anti-sport. one feels like a guy from outer space while doing sports. but recently they build a lot of traing machines in the parks. it looks little bit disturbing turks doing training. they look like from another time.

in germany for example the guys have high end sports outfit and they look very professionell with it.

bottom line i feel quite out of place here in terms of sport and activity. western culture is good for sports.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Where you live, southern California, is about as good as it gets for that, though I suppose you could find a better food supply and air. But no place else where the culture encourages fitness as much and the year-round climate is agreeable.

Hard to say about Asia, but I don't think the FSU would be particularly conducive to fitness, with the constant cold and grey. Hot and humid, as in Latin America, doesn't do it for me either. Maybe the coastal breezes mitigate that a bit in Belize.

I spent a couple weeks in Cuenca, Ecuador in 2011, which is being pushed as a great retirement destination, in part because of the health benefits. The year-round mild climate in the Andes, Vilcabama, the valley of centenarians, and all that. I concluded, though, that it wouldn't be a good place to focus on health. Two or three sorry-ass gyms, one nine-hole golf course, and so forth. It just didn't even compare to where I live in Tucson, and now it's more expensive because expats have driven up real estate prices.

Bottom line: I think you go abroad to pursue a better human climate and social life, but the best all-round place for fitness is probably where we are in the sunny American west. My deal is going for both, spending warmer months in Europe. Shove off for six months in Brussels the end of March.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

gsjackson wrote:Where you live, southern California, is about as good as it gets for that, though I suppose you could find a better food supply and air. But no place else where the culture encourages fitness as much and the year-round climate is agreeable.

Hard to say about Asia, but I don't think the FSU would be particularly conducive to fitness, with the constant cold and grey. Hot and humid, as in Latin America, doesn't do it for me either. Maybe the coastal breezes mitigate that a bit in Belize.

I spent a couple weeks in Cuenca, Ecuador in 2011, which is being pushed as a great retirement destination, in part because of the health benefits. The year-round mild climate in the Andes, Vilcabama, the valley of centenarians, and all that. I concluded, though, that it wouldn't be a good place to focus on health. Two or three sorry-a** gyms, one nine-hole golf course, and so forth. It just didn't even compare to where I live in Tucson, and now it's more expensive because expats have driven up real estate prices.

Bottom line: I think you go abroad to pursue a better human climate and social life, but the best all-round place for fitness is probably where we are in the sunny American west. My deal is going for both, spending warmer months in Europe. Shove off for six months in Brussels the end of March.
I was losing weight naturally in Bangkok just from eating ricey meals THREE TIMES A DAY and a lot of water. No sweets whatsoever because the Thai hardly had sweets available, but their cuisines and street food tasted so much better that dessert wasn't even necessary whatsoever.

I deliberately avoided Cuenca because I knew it was the "Cancun" of Ecuador sotospeak....I'm not fond of American expat groups unless they are uber-professional environments. I cannot be myself around westerners when it's outside of the conducting-of-business paradigm.

E.g. one time I was in SAntiago de Chile, and I met these Irish tourists at the hostel we all were staying. One of the women had a wonderful shape that I really had not noticed until later on that night when all of us were getting beers and wines and spirits to drink.

I told her to stand up - out of 2nd nature reaction - she flipped out saying, "OMG I cannot believe you disrespected me" [just because I had "objectified" her]. The Irish manginas didn't say anything and they left with her almost immediately after I told her that, leaving me there to sit alone.

Yup strictly "hello how are you doing" etiquette, and I keep it moving from thereon after.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

I lost about 3 kilos in 2 weeks in Davao, mainly over swimming, walking and generally sweating under the sun, and eating a diet of very little rice (one cup per day, usually at lunch), chop suey veggies, grilled fish (mainly grilled squid and tuna kinilaw) and plenty of fresh mango juices/smoothies. A few San Miguel Light every other night didn't seem to hurt too much either.

They don't have great parks in Davao, and I didn't hear much better about Metro Manila. Best bet is to exercise at home, with a mat and a few free weights. I heard gyms that offer a per-session fee are also popular, although I don't know how much they charge (I would expect not more than 100/200 pesos per session).
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

I found Korea good for that as there was a mountain to walk part way up and a river with dinky exercise machines to run around in the morning. Such facilities are common there. Also I just seemed to be strangely magically healthier and fitter, despite leading a mostly sedentary lifestyle and constantly catching colds from the students. I'm sure there is various crap in Western food designed to make us fat and unhealthy.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

publicduende wrote:I lost about 3 kilos in 2 weeks....
How much is that in normal units?

jk!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote:I found Korea good for that as there was a mountain to walk part way up and a river with dinky exercise machines to run around in the morning. Such facilities are common there. Also I just seemed to be strangely magically healthier and fitter, despite leading a mostly sedentary lifestyle and constantly catching colds from the students. I'm sure there is various crap in Western food designed to make us fat and unhealthy.
Thanks, this is the kind of thing I would love.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

gsjackson wrote:Where you live, southern California, is about as good as it gets for that, .......

Bottom line.... the best all-round place for fitness is probably where we are in the sunny American west..
:cry:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Billy wrote:yes interesting topic. the turks in ankara are very anti-sport. one feels like a guy from outer space while doing sports. but recently they build a lot of traing machines in the parks. it looks little bit disturbing turks doing training. they look like from another time.

in germany for example the guys have high end sports outfit and they look very professionell with it.

bottom line i feel quite out of place here in terms of sport and activity. western culture is good for sports.
Armenia was like that in Soviet days. They joked that their favorite outdoor activity was "smoking".
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

my plan was always to migrate to the CANARIAN islands (who is with me?). they have the best climate in the world so probably the best sport circumstances. the spaniards and the tourist like sports.

wasn´t here a guy who lived in the canarian islands who did post on ha?

at the moment ankara is super nice. but last year it was a long winter i have been said. i am afraid of going to antalya as humidity is f***ing annoying for doing sport or just walking outside even ankara is annoyingly hot in summer. this is also one point why SEA is difficult for me (yakuza problem: to hot)

so after my obligatory world tour i will try to settle there for a while if i with my money can afford it.

here a random list of a commentator which looks quite accurate:

Canary Islands
Malta
Hawaii
Cyprus
Panama
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Uruguay
Bahamas
Ajjiac (Mexico)
ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao)no hurricanes.
Southern Brazil
Northeast Argentina
Israel
southeast Australia

http://www.touristmaker.com/other/what- ... world.html
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Billy wrote:my plan was always to migrate to the CANARIAN islands (who is with me?). they have the best climate in the world so probably the best sport circumstances. the spaniards and the tourist like sports.

wasn´t here a guy who lived in the canarian islands who did post on ha?

at the moment ankara is super nice. but last year it was a long winter i have been said. i am afraid of going to antalya as humidity is f***ing annoying for doing sport or just walking outside even ankara is annoyingly hot in summer. this is also one point why SEA is difficult for me (yakuza problem: to hot)

so after my obligatory world tour i will try to settle there for a while if i with my money can afford it.

here a random list of a commentator which looks quite accurate:

Canary Islands
Malta
Hawaii
Cyprus
Panama
Costa Rica
Ecuador
Uruguay
Bahamas
Ajjiac (Mexico)
ABC Islands (Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao)no hurricanes.
Southern Brazil
Northeast Argentina
Israel
southeast Australia

http://www.touristmaker.com/other/what- ... world.html
Great list and link, thanks.

Some out-of-the-box ideas there.

Canaries would be great. I think they even have a "running of the bulls" there.

Haha and PS I like the idea of an HA colony. Like those guys building housing developments in Chile and Argentina - InternationalMan, Simon Black the SovereignMan. Same thing but with a LOT less money.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

ha colony aren´t those guys called retirees :). europ´s most loved retiree paradies are the canarian islands.

only in SEA one can be a true HA memeber because there are the cheapast cheaks. HA abroad is in RP, follow the leader leader(winston).

anyway, maybe there are some hidden locations like mediterrean hot climates where mountains are nearby so in the sommer it does not get that hot for example in antalya there are some mountains which can used for cooling down.

many of the top climate locations are isles. but isles are normally more expensive and are as i heard psychollogically challenging but i have to find it out myself. maybe i am going to check cyprus in the next time.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Billy wrote:ha colony aren´t those guys called retirees :). europ´s most loved retiree paradies are the canarian islands.

only in SEA one can be a true HA memeber because there are the cheapast cheaks. HA abroad is in RP, follow the leader leader(winston).

anyway, maybe there are some hidden locations like mediterrean hot climates where mountains are nearby so in the sommer it does not get that hot for example in antalya there are some mountains which can used for cooling down.

many of the top climate locations are isles. but isles are normally more expensive and are as i heard psychollogically challenging but i have to find it out myself. maybe i am going to check cyprus in the next time.
Mountains are nice indeed.

I guess Im going to do as you say, try the Phils in the footsteps of The Great One. Not for the climate, but in spite of it.
zacb
Experienced Poster

Re: Best Country To Get Fit

Post by zacb »

Jester wrote:I read that older expats who move to Belize start looking younger and healthier.

Noone is sure why.

What about it - are there some countries where it's easier to get fit?

I suppose the Germany, Austria, Holland, Scandinavia and New Zealand would be great, with free outdoor fitness parks, abundant bicycles, etc. And I know South Africans are nuts for sports and outdoors.

But I'm talking about Latin America, Asia, and the FSU. Are there places where an American expat could live for a while, where the society, the air, the chi, whatever, encourages rebuilding fitness?

For example in Tijuana, there was an atmosphere of fear (along with the greed), and I saw noone working out, and noone at the beach. Down the coast in Ensenada, there were joggers and cyclists along the beach, and a nice walkway along the port (I forget what this is called).

I would go a lot further than Mexico if there is a health-and-fitness benefit to it.

I have noticed that the company I keep (or don't keep) has a LOT of influence on how much I exercise, and what I eat and drink. Are there are some peoples - or some places - that have a mysterious positive influence on health? Or are conducive to getting back in shape?
Perhaps you can ask John Mcaffee, who is being chased by the cops :D
The Daily Agorist, Learn to Live Independent of the System! http://www.theagoristreview.blogspot.com