How to get in shape

Discuss health, wellness, fitness, nutrition and food.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

How to get in shape

Post by Cornfed »

If anyone is out of shape and wonders how to get fit, it is of course easy.

1. The Diet: Three principles - Paleo/Carnivore diet, food combining diet and water fasting. Just google them. No processed crap or trans fats obviously.

2. The Exercise: Initially just walking or similar. Then walking and mobility exercises (plenty on YouTube). Then whole body daily workouts involving weights or other resistance training. I would build up to very high reps with the major exercises and get into oxygen debt regularly during the workout. Whole body exercises such as burpees if you are capable would be a good addition.

That is all you need. With an ounce of common sense you will be in good shape within a few months.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How to get in shape

Post by Cornfed »

Here is a sample minimal equipment workout video I put together just for fun. I wonder whether people would be interested in this sort of thing for the instructional value.

https://rumble.com/vret3q-sample-workout-1.html
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Do you mean to bend forward like that on the squats? Everyone else says the back should be straight and upright. I'm going to have to give those one-handed clean and press with kettlebells a try. How much weight you got in there? Corn, you look like you could beat the crap out of Bagel Bro. I take it previous injuries from resistance training have gotten better.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
December 25th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Do you mean to bend forward like that on the squats? Everyone else says the back should be straight and upright. I'm going to have to give those one-handed clean and press with kettlebells a try. How much weight you got in there? Corn, you look like you could beat the crap out of Bagel Bro. I take it previous injuries from resistance training have gotten better.
I was probably bending forward a little more than I should to touch the ground, but it seems natural to bend forward. Obviously you would with a bar, or at least that is the advice I was given. The kettlebells are 12kg/26.4lb, hence the highish reps for a lot of things. Yes, no particularly problematic injuries at the moment, touch wood. Who is Bagel Bro?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

You compared yourself to him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTusGC1eSEA
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:
December 25th, 2021, 6:35 pm
Do you mean to bend forward like that on the squats? Everyone else says the back should be straight and upright.
Now I think about it, the person who told me to bend forward in squats kind of like I did in the video was the great Precious McKenzie himself. He was giving a seminar in the gym in my home town about 15 years ago. Before the seminar he saw me doing squats with my heels on a board, which he thought was sacrilege, and told me to squat flat footed and bend forward more to get below parallel. I think he make a joke about men doing squats worrying another man was behind them or something. I'll take his word over the current fashion any day.
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

First I've heard of McKenzie. Quite a story.

So I'll do body weight squats your way. I'm never going to use any significant weight doing them because the fake hip doesn't like it. And in getting back to my sports here in the U.S. -- handball (the Irish-American version) and golf -- it's clear that the main trick is going to be getting an old back to loosen up. So hands to the floor it is.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Maybe I'll try and develop some kind of Internet fitness brand. I'll call it BoomerX Fitness (TM) or something and give general commentary for free while selling workouts and such to help flabby/scrawny middle aged men get in shape with negligible equipment. Since it seems the fashion to post exercise-related videos, here is one commenting on body weight squats. I'm not sure how interested people are in this kind of thing, but maybe it is worth a try.

https://rumble.com/vrlz7o-body-weight-squats.html
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

You can put apolitical content on Youtube and probably get far more views. just be careful you don't get too incisive about health matters, since Youtube is all in on the effort to destroy human health.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Looking at the stats on Rumble, it seems that no-one likes my religious commentary, whereas the exercise videos are universally popular. It seems the Internet has spoken and garage workout videos are where it's at. I really have to figure out a way to monetise this.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Herness wrote:
January 3rd, 2022, 8:22 am
1) Stop eating junks and start eating healthy food
2) Exercise more
3) Drink a lot of water
You're not wrong of course, but this could do with being fleshed out a bit. I think my summary was about as brief as you can go while still being useful to the average person.