Poll: Does Winston give a damn about his own forum?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

No, he doesn't get rid of trolls or clean up the spam since they make it look more active. Claiming he had to let all trolls back in due to a technicality was just an excuse
50%
Intermediate opinion
14%
Yes, but he is so hell bent on free speech that prefers to err on the side of freedom.
17%
Does Winston really make a living out of this?
19%

Total votes: 36
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

You may select two options
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Poll: Does Winston give a damn about his own forum?

Post by Cornfed »

About half the latest 100 posts are spam posts. They are easy to spot. Why is it so hard for Winston to go through and delete them all?
Tsar
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Tsar »

Cornfed wrote:About half the latest 100 posts are spam posts. They are easy to spot. Why is it so hard for Winston to go through and delete them all?
I asked that question more than a month ago.
I'm a visionary and a philosopher king 👑
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

droid wrote:You may select two options

What I see is that traffic is down substantially. Trolls choke the forum much of the time, and often they are the bulk of activity. An average guy looking through here might get one whiff of all the outlandish moonbeam stuff and write it off.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

There are even troll-postings in the 'Banning and Warning Announcements' since days.

I think, Winston should clean up his forum more frequently, maybe he should control it daily, but it seems he is not always available.

He is not making a living out of this forum, I guess this is merely a hobby and a side-business, he often said there are other sources of income (renting out space? or something like that?)
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

OutWest wrote:
droid wrote:You may select two options

What I see is that traffic is down substantially. Trolls choke the forum much of the time, and often they are the bulk of activity. An average guy looking through here might get one whiff of all the outlandish moonbeam stuff and write it off.
I've tried to initiate threads with varied topics worth discussing but they go unnoticed, while sensasionalistic crap like "90% of humanity should be exterminated" elicit plenty of responses. Or endless infantile stuff on whether some chick is hot or if she is white / black etc :lol:

Aside from all this, i think a nice feature Winston could add would be to automatically bump a random thread from the archive everyday, this would stimulate discussions.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

I wonder how Winston spends most of his time. It seems like he would have plenty of time to maintain his own forum given that he doesn't work and has sources of passive income.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Wouldn’t it at least be possible to have new member posts not posted to the Top 100 Posts Page so they wouldn’t contaminate it pending their deletion?
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

Clearly they're signing up by hand, as not even Winston's personal question stopped them.
Some chump somewhere probably gets $0.01 to do it. Then the bots get to send whatever crap.

The problem is somewhere in the 100-topics page php, as i suggested before.

https://blog.phpbb.com/2009/11/09/how-t ... nal-pages/

The phpBB catches the posts ("topic does not exist") but they don't get sifted by the latest topics page.

It probably needs just a one liner like this

if(t.topic_status == ' .REMOVED . ') {continue;}

Fschmidt could probably solve it in five minutes if Winston gave him some incentive
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Winston should be careful as I've had two online businesses whose income has nosedived very quickly indeed. You need to keep reinvesting some of the profits to keep things fresh.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

The spammers are becomming a problem again. The idea would also be to go through the membership and ban all suspicious usernames that haven't posted yet.
starchild5
Veteran Poster

Post by starchild5 »

Winston ..Its time to upgrade the forum man...Get new vBulliten software, it will reduce the spam considerably and you will have more control.

The whole forum experience is very 90s.

Well, I don't just say it...I will do it for free and help you install the software etc..The software cost a bit more but its worth it..90% of all forums have vBulliten software and they have excellent support.

It also have inbuilt SEO which will help appear your post in Google ranking. Your China posts need more exposure...The reason HA posts don't appear in Google often is due to phpbb not secure in the eyes of Google.

https://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php

Its 195 USD/ year and its is the most used forum software on the internet.

Go for it.
Daddy Wu
Freshman Poster

Post by Daddy Wu »

Winston! Son!

Your forum very messy! Too much spam!

Reminds me of your room when you were child. No good!

Now you are big boss, Winston! Not child anymore! You must act like wise ruler, and mind store!

Need to clean forum, not do silly comedy with women!

From,
Daddy Wu
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

^^ that's not so funny Trusted Advisor, be more creative. i wouldn't mess with his dad either as he is currently sick
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Traveler wrote:I wonder how Winston spends most of his time. It seems like he would have plenty of time to maintain his own forum given that he doesn't work and has sources of passive income.
He spends his down time researching his religious topics from Michale Tsarion, and truth projects. You'll see when he comes up with his next thread about how he's seeking some truth.