Should annoying posters be banned?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should annoying posters be banned?

Yes, they are trolls and we don't need them. They may drive good posters away.
69%
No, they should be protected under free speech. Being annoying does not violate forum rules.
31%

Total votes: 16
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Yohan wrote:One thing is for sure, any forum without moderation at all is ending in a chaos. So what to do? Well, the decision how to moderate and what is the purpose of the forum is with the site owner/administrator only.
There is a difference between moderation and censorship. One can have moderation without censorship which means only removing spam and personal attacks, and this works fine. It's called free speech.
For the banned user it's not a big deal anyway, I am with Niceguy-Forum and don't care about OrientExpat anymore. You and Fschmidt are with HappierAbroad. - The internet is wide and if one site does not fit you, the only way is to leave and signing up with another site.
Stalin would feel very much at home in the modern world. The problem is that every forum is an echo chamber full of morons who only want to hear their own views repeated by others and never want any of their views to be challenged. This system guarantees the preservation of bad ideas and prevents truth from reaching most people.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

fschmidt wrote:But over those 6 years, your forum gradually deteriorated into the shit hole it is now.
Members are coming and going, after a while some are not posting anymore and do not log in anymore - just forgotten, others like you are starting a dispute with the admin and are asked to leave...

I can only say, that banning in the Niceguy-Forum by the admin Solaris is very very rare, if you ask me who else was asked to leave, I don't even remember another person who was banned during the last year.

You consider the Niceguy-Forum as a shithole and you found another forum with another admin which fits you better.

OK, so what? Good luck to you.

-----

About myself, I also will leave this HappierAbroad Forum soon, I just signed up after the idiot-admin of the OrientExpat Forum banned me after 11000 postings accusing me for saying things about him and his family I never did. I was laughing when I read some comments of Cornfed, who gave him back a dose of his own medicine in this HappierAbroad Forum. I also made a few comments replying to troll-like mangina-comments of a member called Argaluza.

About HappierAbroad/WinstonWu and his life-style, it's really different from NiceguyForum/Solaris.

While both forums are somewhat into 'men are going their own way', both forums are going into different directions and do not have much in common together.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

fschmidt wrote:The problem is that every forum is an echo chamber full of morons who only want to hear their own views repeated by others and never want any of their views to be challenged. This system guarantees the preservation of bad ideas and prevents truth from reaching most people.
Might be so. I think, you are right. Well, every forum is somewhat the mirror of the admin/owner. - In small private forums like HappierAbroad or NiceGuy it's just like that and I see no change in future.

In big forums, like those of news agencies, situation is much worse due to full automatic moderation. Sometimes your comment appears, sometimes not. There is hardly any dialog among members anymore existing.

Do you know how many are considering HappierAbroad or Niceguy as an echo chamber full of morons? And on the other side, there are many who think that's the best website/forum they ever found on the internet?

There are no solutions, only work-arounds for an individual, I think.

1 - you have the option to join a certain forum, you think which fits you,
2 - you have the option to create your own internet site (blogs, forums, etc. whatever you like),
3 - you have the option to retire from the internet and not to be active anymore (clearly there are now many who are tired of it)

What else?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Yohan wrote:There are no solutions, only work-arounds for an individual, I think.

1 - you have the option to join a certain forum, you think which fits you,
2 - you have the option to create your own internet site (blogs, forums, etc. whatever you like),
3 - you have the option to retire from the internet and not to be active anymore (clearly there are now many who are tired of it)
Yes, I have done #1 and #2.
What else?
4 - One can point out the hypocrisy of others. Liberals claiming to be for liberty are hypocrites. Feminists claiming to be for equality are hypocrites. And MGTOW claiming to be for Men Going Their Own Way are hypocrites. MGTOW should be shortened to MGOW standing for Men Going One Way, because this is what it means now. I point out hypocrisy whenever I can. Of course pointing out hypocrisy generally isn't well received. Jesus did it in Matthew 23 and look what happened to him.