Should the forum theme be changed?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Should the forum theme be changed and upgraded?

Yes, please upgrade the theme. The current one looks outdated.
60%
No, it's fine just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
40%

Total votes: 20
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi folks,
Check out the new theme I installed in my SCEPCOP Forum. It's called Artodia Ultra Blue and it looks very nice and modernized. Check it out. What do you think? Should we install it for our HappierAbroad forum too?

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/index.php
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What do you think of the Subsilver2 theme? I think it looks better than Prosilver and looks like a decent blue theme, similar to this one.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... ver2/demo/
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

When I read about the 'theme', I'm thinking the theme of being happier abroad. What is a 'theme' in this context? The color and layout of the page?

I'm already married. Bikini girls all over the place make the site look a little sleazy for me, no offense. Someone pointed out the files that load are unnecessarily large. I was somewhere recently where bandwidth was limited and did not participate because of that.

I agree with putting most recent poster information and other information like that seen on other forums in the top 100 list.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Should the forum theme be changed?

Post by Winston »

Just to give you a glimpse, this is what the forum may look like in the photo. The developers created this preview for the next version in the future. It looks simpler and caters to mobile devices it seems.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2485796

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Should the forum theme be changed?

Post by Winston »

Someone suggested we change the forum theme to this one called Tropic, because it looks more colorful and has retro style and character. It also fits the HA theme since it looks travel related. What do you all think?

Tropic theme
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... c/demo/3.2

Another suggestion is Blue Turtle.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... e/demo/3.2

And also 1996, which looks like outer space.

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/1996/demo/3.2

What do you all think of those? lol. I'll post screenshots of them below.

Tropic theme

Blue Turtle theme

1996 theme

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What do you all think of this Latte theme? lol. Doesn't it look nice and earthy?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/style/latte/demo/3.2

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

Sorry folks, but we cannot install the Tropic theme or the Blue turtle theme. They are not updated to fit the latest version of the forum, phpbb 3.3. Until the developer updates them, we can't use them. However, the 1996 theme is up to date though. It looks neat. But hey come on. We aren't kids here. This isn't a Star Trek forum. The dark theme we already have should suffice for people who want that kind of theme.

Post by Guest »

Stop stalling and give us the beach themes :!:

I checked they're at 3.2.7 and you only upgraded to 3.3 weeks ago. And how is pro-silver 3.3 when it does not have the same features as elegance? So don't tell me you need 3.3 for its new features when you use something that is identical to what you had in 2007. The features of elegance (primarily how quotes are done) are unnecessary and actually worse than pro-silver.
HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

They're at 3.2.1 and 3.2.7 and you can make them work. Why did you upgrade to 3.3 weeks ago? Newer isn't always better, they didn't add any good features they added stupid features and took away good features that forums have had for many years.
Last edited by HappyGuy on May 16th, 2020, 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

If we used a theme that's only updated to 3.2.7 it may have bugs and is not guaranteed to work. Besides, Elegance looks great. Clean and beautiful and the dirty white is easy on the eyes. It has all the features that Prosilver has. What does Prosilver has that Elegance does not? This is a modern theme that the best forums are using.

Nice to see that you figured out how to post as a guest HappyGuy. lol

HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
May 16th, 2020, 4:01 pm
Besides, Elegance looks great. Clean and beautiful and the dirty white is easy on the eyes.
No it doesn't, it looks terrible and bland like a hospital room. And it's not easy on the eyes. :? What is more easy on the eyes, beaches with clear blue water or bright white as bright as the emergency room of a hospital at 1am?
Winston wrote:
It has all the features that Prosilver has. What does Prosilver has that Elegance does not?
If you quote a post shows what date they made that post instead of linking to their post.
Winston wrote:
This is a modern theme that the best forums are using.
A big reason why I came to HA is because you were smart enough not to upgrade to the newest internet technology which is awful and will only get worse. If you accept elegance you will accept the other bad upgrades they will give you in the future.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

HappyGuy,
Ok well I could install those themes you like on the board, but not as a default theme. Only as alternate themes you can select in your UCP. You'd use them at your own risk of course, since they are not guaranteed to work with the latest version of the forum. But I can upload them into the board themes folder so you can select them as your individual theme from your UCP. But that's all. They wouldn't be the main theme of course. Would that be ok?

HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 8:59 pm
You'd use them at your own risk of course, since they are not guaranteed to work with the latest version of the forum. They wouldn't be the main theme of course. Would that be ok?
Yes keep Elegance for the lurkers that come here from Roosh. Give members the option for the nice themes. If something goes wrong they know what to do. We're used to it.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I've installed the three new specialty themes. You can view them or test them out at the links below. If you want to set one of them as your default theme, you can do so in your UCP under board preferences.

Tropical theme
index.php?style=28

Blue Turtle theme
index.php?style=27

1996 theme
index.php?style=26

Remember these themes are not guaranteed since they haven't been updated to fit the latest forum version. But I've tested them and so far they seem to work ok.

Maybe we should set each one as the default theme here for a few days, overriding everyones board preferences for a while to force them to use each theme for a while, for fun. Lol. So they can try them out for a while. Is that a good idea? Lol

Btw I haven't added navigation links to these new specialty themes yet. I'll do that later. Hope you all enjoy them. Lol

HappyGuy

Post by HappyGuy »

Winston wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 10:42 pm
Maybe we should set each one as the default theme here for a few days, overriding everyones board preferences for a while to force them to use each theme for a while, for fun. Lol. So they can try them out for a while. Is that a good idea? Lol
Yes you can justify it as Tropical Tuesday, Turtle Thursday and Retro Friday. Like Hawaiian shirt day at work. That should irritate some people! :D Try it into next week and while you're at it throw in some usable themes :lol: similar to Pro-Silver and see what people prefer.

These joke themes wouldn't be bad if you kept the default banners and added a HA title but right now you have the HA banner covering the tropical banners. If you have time create a theme where the background is a wallpaper of famous international spots like Railay Beach Thailand and you could cycle the wallpaper every hour. That would be really impressive for visitors and this forum has the content to back it up and very few forums do. Think of a video game where every level has a different background. You'd have to get the transparency right.