Mr S, why free speech can't be invoked to defend everyone

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Mr S, why free speech can't be invoked to defend everyone

Post by Winston »

Mr S,
Someone PMed me this, about why your "free speech" defense can't be invoked to defend everyone. Does it make sense?
Hi Winston,

I know this is your forum and I don't want to tell you how to run it, but I would like to say this:

The forum is your house and your space. If you want good people in, you have to remove the troublemakers. Posters like billy and OilTradingAcademy (or whatever name he is posting under now) remove value from your service, and discourage members who actually want to contribute and learn something (such as myself, and probably man many others) from posting or getting involved. I've seen it happen before - just one or two bad apples can and will spoil the entire bunch.

It's not about free speech or censorship. It's about cultivating the right environment and having respect in your own house. If you invited those two guys to your physical house and they proceed to behave with such vitriol and belligerence, you would surely kick them out.

There is no reason to behave any differently here. You have a great forum, but these guys are souring it for both your newcomers and regulars.
Would you also argue that OilTradingAcademy (now Iliganbound) be allowed to stay as well, even though he's clearly dangerous and insane, in the name of free speech? Is there anything that crosses the line?

What if someone typed out your full name here and then called you a rapist and pedofile? Should they be allowed to do that, in the name of free speech as well? Where do you draw the line?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne