Chinese Free Thinker Murong talks censorship

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Chinese Free Thinker Murong talks censorship

Post by El_Caudillo »

Winston you are always saying you are the only Asian free'thinker...I would contend that you are the only Asian free-thinker you are aware of! I agree that Asian society does not encourage free thinkers, but they are out there...

Here is an example, Murong, a novelist from Chengdu, here talking about censorship in China. I really recommend his novel 'Leave me Alone' too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archi ... om/275527/
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Chinese Free Thinker Murong talks censorship

Post by OutWest »

El_Caudillo wrote:Winston you are always saying you are the only Asian free'thinker...I would contend that you are the only Asian free-thinker you are aware of! I agree that Asian society does not encourage free thinkers, but they are out there...

Here is an example, Murong, a novelist from Chengdu, here talking about censorship in China. I really recommend his novel 'Leave me Alone' too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/china/archi ... om/275527/
He is on a different level. An actual intellectual vs ...well
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Outwest my idea is to gently nudge Winston in the direction of tempering his social commentaries with some historical and political context. For example the 'fear' element Taiwanese people display could be somewhat attributed to either having the bogeyman of the Chinese Communist Party wanting to come and gobble them up, the Martial law period under the Kuomintang, losing their relevance as the gateway to China for the West and/or the perversion of the morals of Confucius etc. I don't really know the answer, but I've got those things on my radar. Also if we can hook him to be interested in what writers, free-thinkers and intellectuals etc. in the mainland have gone through with an oppressive government, maybe he'll become a better writer. Anyway must go I think a pig just flew by my window.
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

El_Caudillo wrote:Outwest my idea is to gently nudge Winston in the direction of tempering his social commentaries with some historical and political context. For example the 'fear' element Taiwanese people display could be somewhat attributed to either having the bogeyman of the Chinese Communist Party wanting to come and gobble them up, the Martial law period under the Kuomintang, losing their relevance as the gateway to China for the West and/or the perversion of the morals of Confucius etc. I don't really know the answer, but I've got those things on my radar. Also if we can hook him to be interested in what writers, free-thinkers and intellectuals etc. in the mainland have gone through with an oppressive government, maybe he'll become a better writer. Anyway must go I think a pig just flew by my window.

I bet it was that red pig with the green wings again...what are the odds? Well actually, it could be worse...