Seeking life before the internet

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
vlkmo
Freshman Poster

Seeking life before the internet

Post by vlkmo »

What do you think about a town where the internet doesn't exist in everybody's lives as much and a lot of things are done as if it is still the 80s and early 90s. I feel like the 90s was the last decade that had a good balance of tech and human interaction. I loathe the trend of everything we are doing is moving to cyberspace and moving all-digital. I love analog things and brick-and-mortar stores. Some people say it is better today but hearing about what it was like from older relatives makes me feel like I want society to be like that again.

Does such a community exist or what are people's opinion about creating one?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Seeking life before the internet

Post by fschmidt »

vlkmo wrote:
September 16th, 2023, 6:58 pm
What do you think about a town where the internet doesn't exist in everybody's lives as much and a lot of things are done as if it is still the 80s and early 90s. I feel like the 90s was the last decade that had a good balance of tech and human interaction. I loathe the trend of everything we are doing is moving to cyberspace and moving all-digital. I love analog things and brick-and-mortar stores. Some people say it is better today but hearing about what it was like from older relatives makes me feel like I want society to be like that again.

Does such a community exist or what are people's opinion about creating one?
Yes, in Mennonite areas. Try central Pennsylvania or Colonia Vianna in north Mexico.
vlkmo
Freshman Poster

Post by vlkmo »

I'd like to see more of a discussion about this here.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

vlkmo wrote:
September 18th, 2023, 10:19 am
The Internet is alright if the government censor brain melting sh*t like Tiktok, Onlyfans, Instagram and others.
You can live like the Amish, but even the Amish sometimes use technology

https://www.amishbaskets.com/blogs/blog ... %20minimal.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
September 18th, 2023, 10:27 am
The Internet is alright if the government censor brain melting sh*t like Tiktok, Onlyfans, Instagram and others.

The internet is never alright for children. Almost all children who grow up with the internet will become moronic scum.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

fschmidt wrote:
September 18th, 2023, 3:26 pm

The internet is never alright for children. Almost all children who grow up with the internet will become moronic scum.
:lol: I agree.. Maybe allow them to use the internet when the child turns 18 or something. Make them read books and write in pen and paper and sh*t. And I think the government should ban brain melting sh*t like Tiktok, Onlyfans, Instagram and facebook.
Epsilon99
Freshman Poster

Post by Epsilon99 »

The old internet was great. No normshits, no toilets, no trannies and other mentally ill degenerates, no woketards, no globohomo controlling everything, etc. It quickly went to shit after smartphones became popular and every retard went online. The internet used to be a place to escape our shitty world. Now it's a place for social media, TikTok, OnlyFans, Tinder, and NPCs wanting to shut down and censor freedom of speech.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Epsilon99 wrote:
September 18th, 2023, 7:34 pm
The old internet was great. No normshits, no toilets, no trannies and other mentally ill degenerates, no woketards, no globohomo controlling everything, etc. It quickly went to shit after smartphones became popular and every retard went online. The internet used to be a place to escape our shitty world. Now it's a place for social media, TikTok, OnlyFans, Tinder, and NPCs wanting to shut down and censor freedom of speech.
100% agree. Old internet was the best. New Internet is complete garbage for your brain.
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Try somewhere in the Sahel or Papua New Guinea.

Mount Athos works too.
Guts
Freshman Poster

Post by Guts »

Epsilon99 wrote:
September 18th, 2023, 7:34 pm
This!
vlkmo
Freshman Poster

Post by vlkmo »

vlkmo wrote:

Don't have a problem so much with using technology itself when really necessary. But, oh do the Amish have a point.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

vlkmo wrote:
September 20th, 2023, 10:13 pm
vlkmo wrote:

Don't have a problem so much with using technology itself when really necessary. But, oh do the Amish have a point.
Well at least they don't use brain melting sh*t like Sh*t-tok, Onlyfans, Instagram, etc.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

What I don't like about the Internet is always being forced to use apps to get stuff and being pressured to constantly sign long agreements.

Email your congressmen to raise the taxes of any corporation that requires Eula and privacy agreements more than a few pages long.

I also don't like people always listening to studd when you want to talk to them, but I saw that on a college campus with the i-pod just before Apple's launch of the the i-phone introduced the smart phone to the market.