Example of how racist people are in the Pacific Northwest

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Winston
Site Admin

Example of how racist people are in the Pacific Northwest

Post by Winston »

From a letter I received:

"Hi Winston!

I was born in Southern Calif and lived there most of my life. I also spent some time in Houston, Texas and Nevada. All the people there were *normal*, friendly, and I had no problem making friends. The people had manners, too, like returning phone calls.

Anyway, we moved to Aloha/Beaverton, OR which are suburbs of Portland. At first everything seemed okay. Then we adopted two children from China. May I ask if you feel any of the discrimination you experienced in Bellingham was due to being Asian? I noticed many friends "disappear" after we adopted our children. When we moved to a new neighborhood, no one lets their kids play with ours.

I *so* want my kids to experience what "normal" "friendly" people are like and what true "friends" are like. The people here are so not any of that. What they consider "friendship" is so shallow and unable to be relied upon in a time of need. Heaven forbid you actually ask for some help in a time of need.

So all this to say, I agree with your writings about Bellingham and Washington, but would add Oregon to the list of "anti-social", unfriendly, and everything else you said. And yes, people here actually do consider themselves "friendly".

We bought a lot to build on in Ocean Shores, WA near the beach. Now I am wondering if we should really move much further away, either to the south or abroad. We can't afford to move back to southern california, or I would in a heartbeat. Where people are normal and friendly.

So where are you living now? I hope you have found happiness and normal people.

Looking forward to your reply,"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

By and large mixed areas are more tolerant( although not necessarly more accepting) than the more homogenous ones. Oregonians are basically New Englanders of the West Coast. So, it figures.
Most of America is racist to a greater or lesser degree. Some places are VERY racist, some are a bit LESS racist. But I do not think any of it is normal really. Kind of like Siberia being a cold place. Some areas of Siberia a bit less cold; some are a bit more cold, but it is still a cold place.
People are normal in Argentina and Brazil, for one. In America, there are always race problems.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's an interesting rant about why the Northwest sucks, from an ESL teacher:

"Hi!

I am not sure WHEN you posted about Russia on Daves Cafe but I just read most of it now. I don't know if you are in Bellingham now or where but there's one thing that I really wanted to point out. I agree with EVERYTHING. It's a shock when you realize how other places flow socially. Then you realize, that's all it really takes to make yourself actually happy. HOWEVER, I'm in Portland now, after having lived abroad off and on for years (Brazil and Mexico), and in Chicago, California and also Ashland, Oregon, I've noticed that people from the Northwest generally have the BEST time abroad. Why? Because the Northwest vibe sucks.

Completely.

Comparing it to other parts of just the US? ....Work place environment is more anal here, weather is shitty that makes people totally paranoid, there's sooo many clicks and crap like that....even when you are older. I know it's all over the US to some extent but I'm telling you, it's horrible here. I'm so pist I moved back here and wish to god I were in California or anywhere with a friendlier, higher energy going around. I LOVE people and am really social. You can put out and put out all that energy in the NW and get little or NONE of it back. My god, Yakima, Washington has more to offer in that department. How pathetic is THAT?

Anyway, if you are back in the states, get OUT of the northwest. Move to the Carolinas or even NYC! California, New Mexico, Arizona...god, anywhere but up here.

My friends that come to visit me here are like "shit, it's amazing how depressed and sick everyone looks here....I'm so glad I don't live here anymore".

Yep, I'm movin on even though i have the best job ever here. A good job doesn't make up for a lame social scene and wasted energy. I'm only 30 and I am not ready to cave up in my apartment, smoke all day and PAINT. I'll do that when I'm 85.

Just some thoughts.

Kari---fellow ESL teacher"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
lime
Freshman Poster

Re: Example of how racist people are in the Pacific Northwes

Post by lime »

How about moving out of the freakin' suburb man???
WWu777 wrote:From a letter I received:

"Hi Winston!

I was born in Southern Calif and lived there most of my life. I also spent some time in Houston, Texas and Nevada. All the people there were *normal*, friendly, and I had no problem making friends. The people had manners, too, like returning phone calls.

Anyway, we moved to Aloha/Beaverton, OR which are suburbs of Portland. At first everything seemed okay. Then we adopted two children from China. May I ask if you feel any of the discrimination you experienced in Bellingham was due to being Asian? I noticed many friends "disappear" after we adopted our children. When we moved to a new neighborhood, no one lets their kids play with ours.

I *so* want my kids to experience what "normal" "friendly" people are like and what true "friends" are like. The people here are so not any of that. What they consider "friendship" is so shallow and unable to be relied upon in a time of need. Heaven forbid you actually ask for some help in a time of need.

So all this to say, I agree with your writings about Bellingham and Washington, but would add Oregon to the list of "anti-social", unfriendly, and everything else you said. And yes, people here actually do consider themselves "friendly".

We bought a lot to build on in Ocean Shores, WA near the beach. Now I am wondering if we should really move much further away, either to the south or abroad. We can't afford to move back to southern california, or I would in a heartbeat. Where people are normal and friendly.

So where are you living now? I hope you have found happiness and normal people.

Looking forward to your reply,"
josephty2
Freshman Poster

Re: Example of how racist people are in the Pacific Northwest

Post by josephty2 »

Thelogicjunkie (youtube) describes Pacific northwest as sulky, "cloak & dagger", clandestine, holier than thou, etc. Also natives always trying to test city smartness. Though he describes Portland as two faced.

But Seattle seems to never let me leave. Those reptilians ...
Then again, some people go all the way (cognitive dissonance/fallacy of incomplete evidence).

Eat dates.

The problem is iphones.