US Territories?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Katmandu
Freshman Poster

US Territories?

Post by Katmandu »

Does anybody here have experience with American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands? They're part of the USA but do they share the same culture as the rest of the US? I have a family member who is thinking about going to American Samoa so I'm wondering what our outlying territories are like.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: US Territories?

Post by Shemp »

Supposedly, the obesity rate is close to 100% in these places. All they do is eat SPAM (the canned meat product, not junk emails) and other junk food all day, ride around e the tiny island on their motorbikes and watch television. Be careful you're not prone to island fever: I'm quite serious. A man can easily go crazy before the next plane or boat out arrives.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

Guam has a many factories that employ foreign workers from Philippines, China, etc. You can date them on their day off. If you're just looking for a vacation go to the source country. Only go the US Territories if you have a job there.
Katmandu
Freshman Poster

Post by Katmandu »

retiredfrank wrote:Supposedly, the obesity rate is close to 100% in these places. All they do is eat SPAM (the canned meat product, not junk emails) and other junk food all day, ride around e the tiny island on their motorbikes and watch television. Be careful you're not prone to island fever: I'm quite serious. A man can easily go crazy before the next plane or boat out arrives.
It sounds miserable but my family member who's thinking about going to one of those islands might be happy there. He gave up on trying to lose weight along time ago and he doesn't go very far from home even though he's more physically active than just watching TV.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Don't any of the people live traditionally? Or at least eat that way? I'd think the island diet could be very healthy. Where there's a lot of fish & coconuts, that'd be some good situations- especially if you eat the fish Vietcong style (the heads are surprisingly good for you & the meat comes off them like on ribs).

Return to “North America, Domestic Relocation”