Bankrupt American Cities

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Bankrupt American Cities

Post by Taco »

This weeks announcement of Detroit's bankruptcy is not an isolated case, there's lots of American cities in decline right now.

Bankrupt American Cities
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2013-07-2 ... -city-next
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Bankrupt American Cities

Post by Jester »

Taco wrote:This weeks announcement of Detroit's bankruptcy is not an isolated case, there's lots of American cities in decline right now.

Bankrupt American Cities
interesting post and comments.

i wonder when state of california will follow.

article blames "population loss" but actual leading indicator would probably be "white population loss". this is actually worse than overall population loss, because of the huge inward tide of nonwhite immigrants which masks the problem.

even productive, working immigrants tend to rely on low-income programs, medicaid, etc., and commit more minor crimes than the whites who are leaving. so they do not really shore up the crumbling system.

sad to watch. if there were no conspiracies, thinktanks would be suggesting ways to solve the problem, rather than ignoring it.

i wonder what it feels like to be an honest old-school liberal, watching their cherished illusions crumbling right along with cities, schools, and families.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Bankrupt American Cities

Post by OutWest »

Jester wrote:
Taco wrote:This weeks announcement of Detroit's bankruptcy is not an isolated case, there's lots of American cities in decline right now.

Bankrupt American Cities
interesting post and comments.

i wonder when state of california will follow.

article blames "population loss" but actual leading indicator would probably be "white population loss". this is actually worse than overall population loss, because of the huge inward tide of nonwhite immigrants which masks the problem.

even productive, working immigrants tend to rely on low-income programs, medicaid, etc., and commit more minor crimes than the whites who are leaving. so they do not really shore up the crumbling system.

sad to watch. if there were no conspiracies, thinktanks would be suggesting ways to solve the problem, rather than ignoring it.

i wonder what it feels like to be an honest old-school liberal, watching their cherished illusions crumbling right along with cities, schools, and families.
+1 Of course they will be in denial till the end....for all the talk about who "built" America, it becomes un-built pretty fast when whites and similar leave an area...
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Another factor will also be that in a city like Detroit, you had huge manufacturing plants (auto and other manufacturing). It seems also like Milwaukee as well that was a huge hub of American manufacturing but most companies left and then the cities started to fall.

Yes, non-white (Hispanic and Black) work in low-income jobs and basically contribute to crimes in the bankrupt cities. There is also a large illiteracy rate for Detroit's residents. I think it is about 40 percent or so which is sad and depressing. However, the article mentioned fails to account for businesses drive local economies and when businesses leave, this leave a hole that will not recover until other businesses come back.

I believe that if there wasn't so much corruption, the US.gov could pursue infrastructure projects, push for more innovation in technology and for better incentives for small businesses. A big factor is creating currency from computer ledger to buy Treasury Bills.

+1 to Outwest; when Whites leave an area and I can give a real life example: Washington DC. During the 1980s and 1990s there were many areas in the section of DC known as Southeast which was poor and crime was constant. Once people started to rebuilt the area and businesses started to invest, the 'whites' came in and the value of the area sky-rocketed.