Should I bring my laptop overseas?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Should I bring my laptop overseas?

Yes, always
88%
Yes if it's a safe, first-world country, No if it's not.
13%
No, never
No votes

Total votes: 8
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

YoucancallmeAl wrote:Thanx all for the ideas.
'Nother question:
My current laptop is a piece of shit I've had for 3.5 years and is getting slower and slower and freezing up all the time.
Since I'm planning to go to the Philippines in just a couple months (and spend 8+ months there), should I buy a new laptop BEFORE I leave or bring the shitty one on the road and buy a new one once I get there?
In other words, are there better cheaper deals on laptops in poorer countries or are they just as expensive no matter where you go?
Brand new laptops can be bought for $300 and up from Best Buy or Walmart. Smaller netbooks start at $250 ish. Netbooks are great for traveling and light usage from the hotel, or where wifi is avail. You can also look into used laptops on craiglist. If you buy a Mac laptop, I would suggest buying the Apple Care extended warranty. Buying laptops with your AmEx card may also include extended warranty coverage.

My old traveling laptop was a Sony VAIO, I think it's around 3 lbs. These days I have to haul my large work laptop with me and it can be a pain. Usually I put the laptop in the laptop bag and stuff it inside my check-in luggage.