How difficult is it to move abroad if you're 25?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

How difficult is it to move abroad if you're 25?

Post by USA_luxury_prison »

I'm a 25(just turned 25) yr old guy that lives at home, don't have any kids, or any major responsibilities besides help parents with bills(no rent).

I've traveled to different states from Texas all the way to North Carolina since I was a kid to visit family and now that I think about it and after having read/observed most of the things Winston says on here(the truth's/taboos about this country) I've found that I would rather live elsewhere than to be a wage slave and watch the years go by as my life slowly rots away in this country. Seriously, I live in Texas and have family that live in one of the most peaceful/beautiful cities(a tourist location) in this state and after having lived there for 7 months I've noticed all the things Winston says about this country are true. Even there the people aren't sane anymore although I'd rather live there (if I could afford it) than anywhere else in this state.

How difficult is it to move abroad or at least travel to another country? Do you guys think its easier if I make a move now at my age than wait any longer?
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How difficult is it to move abroad if you're 25?

Post by MrMan »

I'd say your age and situation is about the easiest time to move abroad.

What do you do for a living? Do you have a degree? If you want to travel for leisure, you need money and time. It's easier to find the time when you are single.

If you have a college degree, you could probably find a job teaching English abroad that pays up to $2000 a month, plus housing, depending on the country you go to. That's not a huge amount of money, but it beats minimum wage in the US, and a single man can live on it.

Whatever country you go to, there will be irritating things about that country, too.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

For tips and advice on moving abroad if you're young and have little money, see the book by Ghost "Expatriation Apocalypse":

http://blog.happierabroad.com/2015/07/3 ... -read.html
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26979
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

You can search for books by "English Teacher X" on living and teaching abroad.

Overall, it will require a lot more mental flexibility and agility than staying in one place. It will be a learning experience, sometimes a "Oh no! Not another learning experience". It will make your life richer.

I've spoken to some folks who went to Japan on the JET program who loved it.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

USA_luxury_prison wrote:I'm a 25(just turned 25) yr old guy that lives at home, don't have any kids, or any major responsibilities besides help parents with bills(no rent).

I've traveled to different states from Texas all the way to North Carolina since I was a kid to visit family and now that I think about it and after having read/observed most of the things Winston says on here(the truth's/taboos about this country) I've found that I would rather live elsewhere than to be a wage slave and watch the years go by as my life slowly rots away in this country. Seriously, I live in Texas and have family that live in one of the most peaceful/beautiful cities(a tourist location) in this state and after having lived there for 7 months I've noticed all the things Winston says about this country are true. Even there the people aren't sane anymore although I'd rather live there (if I could afford it) than anywhere else in this state.

How difficult is it to move abroad or at least travel to another country? Do you guys think its easier if I make a move now at my age than wait any longer?
NEWSFLASH ASSHOLES!!!
25 IS THE EASIEST TIME TO MOVE!!!
With no responsibilities at 25. It only gets more difficult to move out of the country as you get older.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Johnny Law,

No one was even disagreeing with your positon. Why the insults?
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

MrMan wrote:Johnny Law,

:twisted:
WHY NOT
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Because he's going crazy living in some Thai backwater village with no one around who speaks fluent English and associating with women who are unfit for ltr and with no real long term plan for his own financial future. He's a fine example of why maybe moving abroad at 25 is not such a good idea.
Jonny Law
Experienced Poster

Post by Jonny Law »

retiredfrank wrote:

Because he's going crazy living in some Thai backwater village with no one around who speaks fluent English and associating with women who are unfit for ltr and with no real long term plan for his own financial future. He's a fine example of why maybe moving abroad at 25 is not such a good idea.
When you are right, you are right :oops:
What you say about me maybe true.

FACT JACK!
You and your generation of Baby Boomers are pieces of shit!
You go overseas and take beautiful women. When younger men do the same shit you say: "maybe moving abroad at 25 is not such a good idea."
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Apparently Johnny teaches English so if you're ever over in Thailand and come across a youngster that greets you with a "hey asshole", you know you're in his village. :wink:
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Cathy and I just got back from Chiang Mai Thailand. It's turning into the "digital nomad" capital of the world. Plenty of young guys living over there. Some teach, some program and the latest trend is guys making a living overseas selling stuff on Amazon. It's something that I'm going to check out.

Many different ways to sell stuff online. One popular way is to use a program like Jungle Scout. This will show you some goods that are 1) selling well and 2) room for expansion. Find a product that you like and put your own personal logo onto it. The product could literally be anything under the sun. You name it, people are buying it online these days.

But basically you purchase goods from a place like Alibaba and have them put your personal logo on it. They'll then send it to Amazon from China. Amazon will store the goods in their warehouse. Once an item is purchased, it will go to a 3rd party shipping company that sends the item to the customer. You never see the product!

Many people start slow and keep adding products to their line of goods. Some guys are making an absolute killing! The world is changing. Brick and mortar stores will be a thing of the past soon. Now is a great time to dip your toes into this endeavor.

My goal is to make $1000-$2000 a month and I'd be ecstatic!
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Pete,
That sounds good, but expect it to be temporary. Why? The regular folks in Thailand and other parts of the world can learn to do the same thing. Expect more competition over time. If folks are making a really good living at it, more people will enter the business until they earn 'normal profits.' Amazon also has a lot of power. They hold the cards. They can increase prices for their services to optimize their profits until you only earn normal returns.

But normal returns could be up to $2000 a month for this. But I suspect people in developing countries are willing to earn much less in profits than that, which could put downward pressure on what you receive.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

MrMan wrote:Pete,
That sounds good, but expect it to be temporary. Why? The regular folks in Thailand and other parts of the world can learn to do the same thing. Expect more competition over time. If folks are making a really good living at it, more people will enter the business until they earn 'normal profits.' Amazon also has a lot of power. They hold the cards. They can increase prices for their services to optimize their profits until you only earn normal returns.

But normal returns could be up to $2000 a month for this. But I suspect people in developing countries are willing to earn much less in profits than that, which could put downward pressure on what you receive.
Perhaps what you say is true. But I'm convinced that as traditional brick and mortar retail disappears, Amazon will be screaming for small independent vendors that specialize in millions of products that are sold online. Amazon is a marketplace. Can't have a marketplace without vendors.

Sure margins may evaporate down the road but I still think the endeavor has some legs. Suppose the good news is that you don't need to make a ton of money to live in places like Vietnam, Phils, Cambodia, Thailand etc.

I can never figure out how to post videos but pull up eFlip on Google and then hit video tab. Interesting stuff indeed. What's cool is you'd be able to start small, buy a few books and resell them. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm looking into it. I'm trying to work less on Saturdays and this will be a pet project to research.

Other examples are joining BOLO groups. BOLO stands for "be on the look out". You may get a text that Costco is selling a certain good selling tow for $25 and it's going for $50 over on Amazon. Go buy a few, send them into Amazon and skim the profits.

Selling online is in it's infancy. I think there's room for a lot of growth.
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Post by Shemp »

Here's an example of a guy who is making an incredible killing in this way. Recently I needed a plastic SDHC card holder. Such a thing can be bought wholesale for $.05 in China. I ended up paying $4 for 3 of these gizmos. Huge markup. Multiply by a few hundred sales per month and the guy is doing very well on this product for very little work. And this was just one of about 100 products that guy was selling, all unrelated, all very specialized niche products. Was I stupid to pay so much? No, because a lot of the vendors had burned their credibility, according to reviews, by selling defective containers or photo didn't match what they were selling, etc. I was planning to travel soon and I wanted reliability, so I paid up. Its just a couple bucks and I ready needed this container. Now eventually, competition will drive down the price, but dont underestimate the ability of people to screw up, which means there will ALWAYS be little micro markets like this which are extremely profitable fur a while. You just have to be agile and keep moving around as these opportunities come and go.
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

retiredfrank wrote:Here's an example of a guy who is making an incredible killing in this way. Recently I needed a plastic SDHC card holder. Such a thing can be bought wholesale for $.05 in China. I ended up paying $4 for 3 of these gizmos. Huge markup. Multiply by a few hundred sales per month and the guy is doing very well on this product for very little work. And this was just one of about 100 products that guy was selling, all unrelated, all very specialized niche products. Was I stupid to pay so much? No, because a lot of the vendors had burned their credibility, according to reviews, by selling defective containers or photo didn't match what they were selling, etc. I was planning to travel soon and I wanted reliability, so I paid up. Its just a couple bucks and I ready needed this container. Now eventually, competition will drive down the price, but dont underestimate the ability of people to screw up, which means there will ALWAYS be little micro markets like this which are extremely profitable fur a while. You just have to be agile and keep moving around as these opportunities come and go.
It's much like marrying a woman from abroad. Guys can come to this forum and learn a framework on how to reduce your risks and succeed. Yet MAYBE 2% of the forum members will actually pull the trigger. Same thing applies to opening up an online business. You gotta get up to the plate in order to get a hit. 98% of the folks will be happy sitting in the dugout. The 2% that apply themselves stand a good shot of making money.