A suicide victim who gave up too easily

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: A suicide victim who gave up too easily

Post by Cornfed »

On the subject of the guy’s suicide, it just goes to show how precarious economic life is for men in the West these days. However successful you have been, one little thing can go wrong and you can be broke, and whereas in the past you could get back on your feet again, these days if you are over a certain age you are most likely screwed.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

desembarazarse wrote:
Zambales wrote:To be fair, it's common for the average person to endure financial hardship on one or more occasions in their life - but how many actual commit suicide because of it? 1 in 100 perhaps? Maybe not even that.
I haven't seen statistics for this, but my guess is that the population of people who are experiencing financial distress, who are over 40, and who have neither children nor living parents is particularly at-risk.

Unless one has family who are well-off and charitable to boot, the chances of getting bailed out from a financial mess are quite slim I would say.
xtravel
Freshman Poster

Post by xtravel »

Boxman wrote:Such weakness. He wasn't that bad off at all. Shoulda just quit everything and moved to Thailand, China, Phillipines, Eastern Europe, Russia or any # of other possibilities. He was obviously ready to throw away everything anyways, so at that point why not take the leap and go happier abroad or die trying? He'd completely given up on his current life; that could have been the best thing to ever happen to the guy. Instead he wasted that defining moment and chose death instead.
Agreed. When I was laid off a couple months ago, my girl friend (in South East Asia) told me that while she was confident I would find a good replacement job (I did), if not we would just move up our plan to live together in Asia and retire. What little I have after my divorce won't go far in a developed country, but it is enough to live securely until Social Security kicks in. The girl friend of this man seemed to have an income and seemed like she would have stuck it out with him, for a while at least.

Moreover he would not have had to go as far as the places you mention. Outside the USA, there are plenty of places in Mexico. In the USA, he could have rented a manufactured home for a pittance in Florida or Arizona.
Boxman wrote: Pathetic.
Harsh. Depression is real. He could not see the big picture. I am fortunate to have traveled extensively in Asia, and read lots of web sites like HA, stickman, etc. Not everyone sees the forest for the trees.

Best to use this man's death as a lesson to us all. Happiness is a choice, which is what HA is all about.
Citizen
Freshman Poster

Post by Citizen »

Boxman wrote:Such weakness. He wasn't that bad off at all. Shoulda just quit everything and moved to Thailand, China, Phillipines, Eastern Europe, Russia or any # of other possibilities. He was obviously ready to throw away everything anyways, so at that point why not take the leap and go happier abroad or die trying? He'd completely given up on his current life; that could have been the best thing to ever happen to the guy. Instead he wasted that defining moment and chose death instead.

Pathetic.
Maybe he wasn't allowed to move. When somebody is important or a potential threat do you think that the current powerful establishment are going to just let that person escape their grasp? Nope.

Easy for a nobody to walk away. They are not a threat. Have no impact upon the world so those in power say good riddance, fck off. Go live in a sh*t hole someplace. Won't affect the world.