Dave ESL cafe?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Dave ESL cafe?

Post by chanta76 »

I took a look at that site. It seemed to have allot of info. I signed up and it seems to be heavily moderated. I think I understand why. I think David wants the troll off and to keep it civil. For what ever reason allot of expat or international forums has a layer of sexism , racism and trolling. I kind of respect that.''Wondering other people experience.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Dave ESL cafe?

Post by Cornfed »

They are politically correct scumbags who should be avoided. They were only useful back in the day when the Asian EFL market centered around Korea. Now they just suck as well as being politically correct. The sensible and moral thing would be to avoid them like the plague.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Post by Kradmelder »

What is more racist and intolerant than to only allow people who think and talk like you? It is no different than me saying I refuse to tolerate anyone who is not a Christian white hetersexual male and only talks of such things.

Far better to talk to darkies, jews, faggots, race mixers etc :lol: :lol:
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

A better website for ESL teachers in Korea is http://www.waygook.org. Dave has really cracked down on free speech on his boards.
El_Caudillo
Freshman Poster

Post by El_Caudillo »

Long ago it was a good forum, especially 'China Off Topic', which Dave made only available to members because of the politically incorrect content about China there. One of the posters wrote a scathing book about the education system in Hong Kong, he was a very interesting fellow, who'd studied German philosophy. He had the habit of getting into long wars with people - but they were a step above the turgid name calling you normally get. There was also a psychology professor from the US who had ended up teaching in China - he was a bit holier than thou, but entertaining in his pomposity. Sadly forums are like everything else they only stay interesting and fun for a limited amount of time - then you waste a lot of time finding another worthwhile one....
Even Billy knows that, just ask Mr S!
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

traveler,

I can see why Dave moderate his forum. I 'm aware of waygook.org.. What I don't understand is if people think Korea or any other Asian country is racist? Why be there? Scanning waygook I can tell there are those ESL teachers belly aching about Korea but again no one is forcing them to be there.
Traveler
Freshman Poster

Post by Traveler »

chanta76 wrote:traveler,

I can see why Dave moderate his forum. I 'm aware of waygook.org.. What I don't understand is if people think Korea or any other Asian country is racist? Why be there? Scanning waygook I can tell there are those ESL teachers belly aching about Korea but again no one is forcing them to be there.
Like the author of the klownisms: life in Klown (Korea) blog says, the simple answer is money.

"I get asked a lot about why I would stay in a place I despise so much. Fair question, but complicated to answer in the single-sentence, monosyllabic way most Klown kommenters want to hear. The dumbed down answer is money. I have my public school gig, which after 8 years in country is finally a decent one. I work morning corporates, then tutor in the evenings. On the weekends I do some freelance classes and more tutoring. I pull in decent coin, maybe 7-8 m krw monthly."
https://klownisms.wordpress.com/2014/05 ... ucker-burn
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Post by chanta76 »

traveler,

Oh this guy...I heard of him. It seems in the net world the expats that really bitch is well known. It's like small circle of guys that jerk off . Sigh..honestly ESL teaches that work or over work in Asia (not just in South Korea) can make some money but I don't know the stability in it. That's what is holding me back. At the same time what do you expect?

It's like years ago I worked as cold caller for brokerage company. It was common for brokers to bad mouth the industry. I think the ESL industry for some workers are like that. I heard it all . The dishonest hagwons or the over work hours that you don't get paid for.

Allot of it is because when it comes to workers rights there isn't any in Asia. It's common for Asian people to work really long hours and get abuse . So when you have expats who go there . The work life is similar but saying that some ESL schools aren't all that bad. I'm still in the position that expats in Asia are usually social outcast in the west. It's not bad or good thing ..look at most posters here. Main stream folks would think we are weird.

Right now the trend is China. South Korea was like CHina 15 years ago..You have fake diploma ..shady esl teachers and fly by the night school. Still they want that blond eye stereotypical English teacher regardless if they actually have English skills. It is for what it is.