Planning trip to Balut Island

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Panksie
Freshman Poster

Planning trip to Balut Island

Post by Panksie »

Ok, I was all excited about going to the Philippines, specifically to the Balut Islands, as someone I know lives there.

It was no surprise to me to find out the she was telling the truth that it is a very remote place. This place is so remote that it is not only at the bottom of the bottom of Philippines but there are no planes to fly there and very few boats go there and at select times. The transportation I learned about was from reading about it recently.

To be honest, I really should have known this was a very remote place from all the pictures she has sent me and you can see the scenery from the background, where much of it seem untouched. It is so remote that a flower delivery service will not go there, something else she has informed me about.

Now, I see why when I am on the phone with her, I get poor call quality and many dropped called.

Now it did not bother me about my concerns of being there when in the course of a month, she got Dengue fever, a cold and then a bad dog bite, which she sent pictures of that too to prove to me that she was in the hospital. I really wish she didn't show me the pictures of her in the hospital and her leg as that was my first time ever seeing a real wound even though I been in many motorcycle accidents. But none of those had gashes as deep as her leg has. But hey, at least when I go there we will have matching legs, as I had a small chink of flesh ripped from my leg when a bike pedal bar broke off. But atleast, I know she really is this very petite woman I see in all the pictures.

But anyways, now I am thinking that me going there will be like the Revanent with Leonardo DaCrapio in it.

Now, I have raised myself to have unbiased views of many things and to block out multiple emotions, despite me never having a real fear of anything, I am definitely scared to go a remote island that even many of the Filipinos aren't even aware of.

The thing is that I was also looking forward to go to the Philippines to get away from this great divide in present situation.

I got a father who only knows how to work but yet understand what a loving and healthy relationship is supposed to be with anyone, a mother who is legally insane but always had a bad temper, loves to gamble, sell drugs, thinks I should deal with her verbally abusive nature. Then there is my psycho soon to be ex wife. She thinks she can abuse the system by keeping a restraining order on me, yet trying to keep me on the back burner, tries to incriminate me to take away my visitations with Johnathan as she had no control or any influence over the general Magistrate's decision for, tries using third party communication with me, because I do not trust her nor do I want to talk to her and not going to yield to her games, I utterly refuse to allow her to establish third party contact me. Because if she really cared about our son, she should have thought about arranging a means of monitored communication with me. instead of always finding ways to point fingers at me for stuff, threaten me and make claims that I am a bad parent.

With me, the stuff does not end with my first wife, Jackie, I even go so tired of her stunted I had called the police and even brought it up in a court hearing. Yet, I am growing increasingly frustrated on how they can worry about her rights to protection but want to do nothing about her actions.

To make matters worst, the people who are supposed to be supporting me, my parents, does not see much fault in Jackie's actions nor do they thing she is out of control, which is a surprise as much of my entire family does not like her, how disrespectful she was to my family, how they objected to us getting married and having a child, well they love our son Johnathan to death though, despite him being bi racial and his mother side of the family is racist.

Sorry to mention much about my first wife as this is not the only time I have mentioned her, but it is just many headaches for me, which is why my first trip to the Philippines was going to be 2 months, plus it would have given me time to really understand my relationship with Sherly.

But here is my concerns with questions.

Does many foreigners even go to the Balut Island?

Is there anything else I need to worry about in Balut Island other mosquitoes and rabid dogs, such as lions, tigers and bears?

Even though this place is remote, in case I needed space and to get away for a bit, am I in a tight situation where I will really have no where to go, let alone finding a secure place?

I read when taking the boat to Balut Island that I need to keep my possessions secure, especially if I am a heavy sleeper and the boats apparently, leave at midnight. So with me having a $2,000 dollar laptop that I use for college work and game development, I am especially scared to leave America with it. Is there a way to make sure it is safe, during my travels while I sleep as we all know I will not be allowed to put an electric lock around my bag that can discharge small volts of electricity will not be able to make it through airports?

I assume that because this place is very remote, all fantasies of going to a tropical island to enjoy fancy foods and pretty mixed drinks would be limited?

Just for kicked, can't I just take the route of convenience, by jump from a plane to land on the island instead?
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: Planning trip to Balut Island

Post by Zambales »

There are no lions, tigers or bears but there is a terrorist group called Abu Sayyaf who kidnap foreigners and are known to frequent provinces not a million miles away to the west.

A remote island in Sarangani, Mindanao, like Balut isn't the best place to go for your first visit to the Philippines and it's especially foolhardy if you don't trust this person emphatically.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Might be a good place to ride out the end of the world though.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Forgot to mention.

Only bring stuff to the Phils that you can afford to lose, so I would leave that laptop behind if I was you. There's no guarantee it won't get lifted from a hotel room when you're out.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

This island is not without danger and there is no well-guarded accommodation there.
Small islands are known in this area to be full with gangsters of any kind, who quickly appear and are quickly gone using motorboats.

Any place - regardless if on the large Mindanao Island or on small islands near Sultan Kudarat and Maguindanao is highly dangerous for a foreigner.

I would go only to Davao City by airplane and book into a hotel - in Davao still you will find all what you need as a foreigner for a very comfortable stay - and insist to meet your new Philippine friend within Davao City because of safety concern.
She will understand this.

Offer her to pay for the trip from the island to Davao and offer her to pay for her hotel room. If she is refusing to show up in Davao, forget her.
This trip to Balut Island is to dangerous for a newcomer/foreigner to Philippines. I would never go there alone either and I have been in Philippines many times.

Davao City is still considered as safe, despite the attack/kidnapping on Samal Island located near to the city and some foreigners now have no head anymore.

If you want to be nearer you might consider General Santos City, it is smaller than Davao, but so far I do not know anything negative about it.

There are direct flights to Cebu from General Santos City. No problem to go there and to get away and also good and safe hotel accommodation is available in the city.

Be aware, travel to small islands, rural areas in Philippines can be time consuming and is anything else but comfortable, there are often delays too because of weather, breakdown of vehicles and boats etc. etc.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Zambales wrote:There are no lions, tigers or bears but there is a terrorist group called Abu Sayyaf who kidnap foreigners and are known to frequent provinces not a million miles away to the west.
A remote island in Sarangani, Mindanao, like Balut isn't the best place to go for your first visit to the Philippines and it's especially foolhardy if you don't trust this person emphatically.
I fully agree with you, this is not a safe destination for a single inexperienced foreigner visiting Philippines for the first time - such places are dangerous.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

http://saanpowpunta.com/2016/08/balut-i ... ccidental/

A travel report with pictures and ferry information

TRAVEL GUIDE / TIPS

HOW TO GET THERE (Balut Island).
The nearest airport is the General Santos International Airport (GES).
From General Santos City, go to the port in Lion’s Beach (beside Queen Tuna Park) or go to Puting Bato Wharf, depending on the schedule of your trip. The boat trip is usually at night. You can reserve your tickets (and your preferred bunker bed) at an earlier time. The boat leaves at around 10pm – 12mn and the travel time is 6-9 hours.

BOAT SCHEDULE (GenSan to Balut). Depending on the day of the week, the following are the boat schedules (no trip on Sundays!):
Ferry Port Departure Day Fare
M/V Frederick Lion’s Beach Tuesday & Friday PhP 390
M/V Nieky Puting Bato Wednesday & Saturday PhP 320
M/V Sabhan Puting Bato Monday & Thursday PhP 320

BOAT SCHEDULE (Balut to GenSan). Depending on the day of the week, the following are the boat schedules (no trip on Saturdays & Mondays!):
Ferry Port Departure Day Fare
M/V Frederick Lion’s Beach Sunday & Thursday PhP 390
M/V Nieky Puting Bato Tuesday & Friday PhP 320
M/V Sabhan Puting Bato Sunday & Wednesday PhP 320
The return trip from Mabila Port (in Balut Island) to General Santos usually leaves at 9pm.
An alternative and faster boat ride (recommended for day trips) is by hiring a pump boat at Glan, Sarangani. This route is nearer to Olanivan Island.
Hire a pumpboat for the island hopping (around PhP 2000-2500). For a trusted guide/driver, contact Isman at +63-9265800719.

WHERE TO STAY. There is a B&B inn near Mabila Port if you wish to stay overnight or more. The JVL Inn & Cafeteria has rooms for around P1000-2000. Contact Chacha at +63-9053772600. No online reservations.
Tolerable 2G phone signal for Globe subscribers. Poor cellphone signal for Sun & Smart subscribers. Do not expect for a mobile data signal.
You can hike Mt. Balut / Balut Volcano / Balut Island. The forested summit sits at 862+ MASL. If I’ve known earlier that Pinoy Mountaineer will be hiking Balut Volcano few days later, this will most likely be a hiking-related post.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Yohan wrote:This island is not without danger and there is no well-guarded accommodation there.
Small islands are known in this area to be full with gangsters of any kind, who quickly appear and are quickly gone using motorboats.

Any place - regardless if on the large Mindanao Island or on small islands near Sultan Kudarat and Maguindanao is highly dangerous for a foreigner.

I would go only to Davao City by airplane and book into a hotel - in Davao still you will find all what you need as a foreigner for a very comfortable stay - and insist to meet your new Philippine friend within Davao City because of safety concern.
She will understand this.

Offer her to pay for the trip from the island to Davao and offer her to pay for her hotel room. If she is refusing to show up in Davao, forget her.
This trip to Balut Island is to dangerous for a newcomer/foreigner to Philippines. I would never go there alone either and I have been in Philippines many times.

Davao City is still considered as safe, despite the attack/kidnapping on Samal Island located near to the city and some foreigners now have no head anymore.

If you want to be nearer you might consider General Santos City, it is smaller than Davao, but so far I do not know anything negative about it.

There are direct flights to Cebu from General Santos City. No problem to go there and to get away and also good and safe hotel accommodation is available in the city.

Be aware, travel to small islands, rural areas in Philippines can be time consuming and is anything else but comfortable, there are often delays too because of weather, breakdown of vehicles and boats etc. etc.
I was going to suggest this myself but him meeting her in General Santos seeing its nearer. I've heard there are a few foreigners here.

Also, don't send her money for her to travel. Reimburse her when you meet.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Zambales wrote: I was going to suggest this myself but him meeting her in General Santos seeing its nearer. I've heard there are a few foreigners here.
Also, don't send her money for her to travel. Reimburse her when you meet.
Yes, why not General Santos City...

I know only Davao and General Santos City from talks with my Filipino friends here in Tokyo and in Cebu. As they told me, Davao is about 3 times larger than General Santos City however General Santos City seems to be OK too - it is not such a small area with about 600.000 people, and has various hotels, shopping malls, hospitals, nearby beaches, airport etc. - Less choice compared to Davao, but in general almost everything what a foreigner might need is available there.

There is no need for a foreigner, a newcomer visiting Philippines the first time to travel further than this city and to approach unknown islands several hours away by ferries. Stay away from small islands and rural areas, local gangsters will recognize you quickly.

In General Santos City for sure, there are foreigners and not only Chinese and Koreans. Nothing really to worry about if you go there.

About this girl, yes, I agree, when she shows up, either at the airport or in the hotel lobby etc. give her the money for staying overnight and other travel expenses.