Long-Term Living Arrangements While Abroad?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Long-Term Living Arrangements While Abroad?

Post by Wolfeye »

Hey, guys. I was wondering about getting living arrangements while abroad that aren't short term like hotels. A hotel, I figure I just go there with my ID & pay for it. [Speaking of which, do you just show them your passport or do they try to take & hold it for your stay? I'd think the former & I wouldn't likely give someone my passport anyway (ex: "I'm going to NEED your passport"..."Well, only to get it."). Seems like an easy scam.]

Don't get me wrong, I want to learn about the general subject of living conditions, but I figure I'm going to be over there for at least a few months & don't want to go broke getting a place to live. Seeing as I'm a foreigner, I figure I'm not going to get the best prices. Hostels, Airbnb, all that stuff is something I don't know much about. How do I know a good place? How do I get one cheap?
chanta76
Experienced Poster

Re: Long-Term Living Arrangements While Abroad?

Post by chanta76 »

depends on the country you want to go at. There are long term places but you have research it. Unfortunately sometimes this site does not have the answer since some guys are too selfish to share.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Re: Long-Term Living Arrangements While Abroad?

Post by Wolfeye »

Czechia, Slovakia, Portugal, Spain, and any of the non-Schengen countries (since I might hop back & forth from time to time, but I'm not entirely clear on which ones those are). I'm not sure if Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia, and Cyprus have this Schengen time limit or not- since it seems that they are NOT Schengen, but some things I've been reading seem to say that it still applies somehow. I'd appreciate it if someone where to clear that up.

I know Ireland isn't Schengen, so at least Ireland. The UK isn't Schengen, but it seems like it's a royal pain in the ass to live there & they've gotten more xenophobic toward white foreigners (not the middle easterners, but Polish & others- I don't get that). Might as well learn about it, but I think I'd be more likely to head for Ireland than England at this point.