Sensitive to noise induced hearing damage

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
newarrior
Freshman Poster

Sensitive to noise induced hearing damage

Post by newarrior »

For those of us who are more prone to tinnitus, hyperacusis and hearing loss:
How do all of you protect your ears without killing your social ?
How do all these expats, many of who are decades older than me, sit in loud bars all day without destroying their hearing ?

I used ER25s and 37 db ear plugs
I used pink and white noise to mask and treat tinnitus

i take N Carnetine and anti oxidants and biofllavanoids
Found any good ENT drs, audiiologists or hearing aid dispensers

I used to work with an ear doctor who treated US presidents and celebs

Thanks ! Dave

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Sensitive to noise induced hearing damage

Post by Cornfed »

Surely the idea is to just not spent much time in such places. There are quieter bars. I don't understand why you would spend time in a bar so loud your hearing would likely be damaged (and presumably couldn't therefore hold a conversation) and then wear hearing protection.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Sorry but kind of along the lines Cornfed suggested... sit in quieter places, like coffeehouses... and wear those earphones millennials seem addicted to.. earphones make you look cool

And yeah, get outdoors, join a hiking group
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
newarrior
Freshman Poster

Post by newarrior »

Cornfed wrote:Surely the idea is to just not spent much time in such places. There are quieter bars. I don't understand why you would spend time in a bar so loud your hearing would likely be damaged (and presumably couldn't therefore hold a conversation) and then wear hearing protection.
Sir I avoid such places..It is noise exposure from my younger days plus aging plus genetics
newarrior
Freshman Poster

Post by newarrior »

Of course I avoid loud places and engage in many quiet healthful activities..Is everyone here just a bunch of cynical assholes like on Thai Visa ???!!! Expat pricks
dl7
Freshman Poster

Post by dl7 »

I am an audiologist. I usually recommend seei g an ENT physician first and have them rule out any th ing serious. Try relaxation exercises such as deep breathing or meditation. Heari g aids my help if you have hearimg loss. Use hearing protection if you are exposed to loud noise. Sound therapies may help but I usually would give it a few months first to see if there is any improvement.
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

What hearing ids models/brands are the best in your opinion?
dl7
Freshman Poster

Post by dl7 »

I use hearing aids made by Starkey and Sign is for most of my patients. Usually Starkey genesis aids. As far as size the one that go behind the ears with a receiver in the ear canal are.the.most comfortable and have the most natural sound for those with a primarily high frequency hearing loss
glanmit
Freshman Poster

Post by glanmit »

Thanks a lot! I think i am getting very tired of all those hearing issues and in one point i will just check the hearing aid store.
Getting a decent device will probably be the end of tinnitus and other hearing issues, right?
How was this journey for you? When did you realize that you need your first pair of aids?