How do I travel with lighter luggage for better mobility?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How do I travel with lighter luggage for easier mobility

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:
Rock wrote:I like an oversized duffle bag with no wheels (almost weightless), a small shoulder purse, and the computer bag. When I need to consolidate, I can put everything into the duffle bag. Normally when on the plane, I keep out my computer bag but leave shoulder purse in duffle bag.

Total weight of everything consolidated can be 8-13 kg. So it's really not a burden to carry with me.

I don't like backpacks like those in the photos cus it's so easy for people behind you to open things up and take them without you realizing it. Duffle bag can be held towards my front at important time when I'm in crowds.
That's a good point Rock. But isn't a duffel bag held by only one arm or hand? Isn't the weight of it all on one hand or arm, whereas a backpack is evenly distributed between both shoulders? What if your arm gets tired of carrying your duffel bag? How long can you walk with it?

You can carry a backpack in the front too by wearing it in front of you, if you are in the city so you don't get pickpocketed. When I carry a backpack, I usually put expendable stuff on top, such as clothes and towels, and the important stuff at the bottom, so that it's harder to get to. Plus, I have padlocks that I can use to lock up the zippers of the backpack too.

Rock, given a choice between carrying a backpack (as shown in the images above) and a luggage case with wheels, which one would you choose and why?

Have you traveled with backpacks and luggage cases before? If so, what did you think of them?
1. The weight of my stuff is so light that I could carry it around all day with one arm if needed. BUT, my duffle bag has a nice long strap which I can put on my shoulder or even both shoulders if bag is in front of me.

2. Also, I can use my computer bag strapped on one shoulder and duffle bag strapped on other and try to make them of equal weight by moving things around.

3. Last time I used a backpack was in Beijing several years ago. In one of the hutongs, a teenager was stealthily following me trying to open the zipper. I caught him and yelled while chasing him away.

4. My stuff is just too light to bother with wheels. Anything with wheels would add like 10%+ in weight to my total weight lol.

5. I don't get pickpocked cus my stuff is in front pockets and they are very tight and closed.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Re: How do I travel lighter for easier mobility?

Post by Renata »

This is a real usesful way to pack. When u roll the clothes rather than fold it u never get any creases or lines on the clothes. They stay small and neat so u never have to iron them again to wear them. It's the most compact way to pack.
https://youtu.be/so93nqxZLjM

I like this guy's style and shoes. He wears lots of comfortable shoes and it works with anything he wears.
https://www.google.com.tr/search?q=Joe+ ... nich+shoes

For pickpocketers I fill my backpack pockets with sewing pins, it's the straight pins u use for sewing. When they shove their hands in your bag, surprise! http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/sewing-pins-2014232.jpg
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: If I only have room for one pair of shoes, what kind should I bring? The thing is, I find that the more fashionable shoes that are better looking, are less comfortable and bruise my feet while walking. But the comfortable loafers I wear don't look attractive or stylish. So it's a tradeoff. Is there a way to have comfort and style at the same time? If so, what type of shoes should I get?
Also it's hard to find a pair of shoes that looks good with both jeans and slacks and lightweight cotton pants. How do you find a pair of shoes that matches everything yet is comfortable to walk for miles on?
I don't know what type of shoes Rick Steves is referring to above, and some of his outgoing links are broken. Can you post any recommendations with pics or links? What do you suggest?
http://tw.ecco.com/
http://us.shop.ecco.com/

Google "Ecco Taiwan" for store locations. Be warned:
1. Not cheap
2. Not water-proof (wet feet in the rain)

How well a pair of shoes fit is highly personal, you must try it in person at the store.

If a pair of dress shoes isn't comfortable, you might be able to remedy by replacing the insole:
https://www.powersteps.com/ (can order from Amazon)

Winston wrote:Momopi, Rock,
On Rick Steve's packing tips webpages, he features these photos of travelers with a single backpack. See below. Is this the size of backpack that he recommends? Holy cow, it looks like you can hardly fit anything in there. How do you compress 2 or 3 sets of clothes in that? Geez. Can all the items on this packing list: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... cking-list really fit in there?
Do you recommend attempting to travel with the kind of backpack shown in the images below? Does Rick Steves also prefer backpacks over luggage cases with wheels?
For old school packs, some prefer ALICE pack with A-Frame and upgraded shoulder & belt straps. For more modern look, MOLLE packs with padded shoulder and belt straps. For vacation use buy one in plain color and not digital camo pattern. Google MOLLE pack for examples, and pay attention to the measurements before you buy. Some major brand MOLLE packs have lengthy reviews on Amazon or Youtube, example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSQAe89iCSg
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I use this bag for traveling and I've had it for over 5 years now and it's very durable, almost the perfect travel backpack. You can fit everything you need into them as long as you buy the extra stuff that you don't need to travel with like toiletries in the country you're visiting.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/moth ... id=1370035

Read all the positive reviews about it at the above link if you don't want to take my word.

As I have mentioned before if you buy a decent pair of casual Rockport shoes or Hushpuppies they are good for long distance walking plus are good looking enough to use in casual or dress settings and look good with either jeans or Khaki type pants. I usually buy Hushpuppies because they are high quality and last well over 3+ years even if worn every day. If you can get a pair with a Vibram sole, those will last even longer. I have a pair that is over 5 years old and still look and feel fine.

http://www.hushpuppies.com.tw/Web/Index.aspx
http://www.rockport.com.tw/
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Videos on how to roll your clothes properly to save space in your luggage.

More packing tips.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Mr S,
Thanks. That backpack you linked looks perfect. It has all we need and seems to be high quality. However, EBags.com doesn't seem to offer international shipping. It only wants to ship to you if you're in the US. I looked over their help page and it's vague. It mentions that you have to sign up with something called MyUS.com to do international shipping. WTF does that mean? I have to use a third party carrier service to get international shipping? That's like a two step process here.

http://www.ebags.com/help/internationalshipping

How did you receive your backpack from them? Did you get it in the US or in the PH?

Momopi,
The problem is not the sole of the shoes. A lot of shoes don't fit the shape of my foot, so the inside front edges bruise my toes. With each step I take, friction is applied to my toes and causes bruises.

The thing is, I may not notice this while trying out the shoes at the shoe store. I may walk around with them in the store and feel fine. But when I wear it outside for a while, that's when I notice that the friction with my toes and the inside edge of the shoes are starting to hurt and bruise my toes.

Why does that happen? Does that happen to anyone else too? Or is this another problem that only happens to me, like many other things?

There are a lot of weird things that only happen to me but not to others. For example, if I wear sandals or slippers outside, I will always stub my toes by hitting them onto something and bruising them. Or something or someone will run over my exposed feet and cause bruises. It's like once I expose my feet, Murphy's Law takes advantage of it. It definitely is real. No joke.

Also, if I wear shorts, insects and mosquitoes start biting my legs and leaving red lumps which causes itching. Again, Murphy's Law takes advantage if I expose my bare skin. So I have to always wear shoes and long pants. How are other people able to wear shorts and sandals everyday with no problem? Why am I singled out like that?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I bought my bag in the US back in 2010 when I was visiting my father for a few weeks. All you have to do is just sign up with that company that they gave and then once you have ordered the bag then it is shipped to them and then they forward the bag to you for a fee, not a big deal. It's the best travel bag on the market so I suggest ordering it, even if you have to have it forwarded by another delivery company.

Maybe you have wide feet, you can but some shoes in a wide size or buy them .5 larger than your normal fit. If they seem too big then buy a cushion insole which helps with the looseness. I do that with some shoes that I bought on sale and couldn't get my normal size.

I get bit by mosquitoes all the time and they don't bite my kid or her mother as much. They seem to be attracted to certain smells so your odor must be attractive to them, same problem with me. It has to do with what you eat combined with your natural sweat gland odor.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

https://us.shop.ecco.com/ecco-fit-guide.html

"Conventional shoes fit across your feet at the toes, restricting the way your toes spread as you walk. ECCO's Freedom Fit is different; it offers a roomy toe box and fits more narrowly from heel to instep, suitable for most widths. Toes spread naturally to support your weight and foster a more comfortable walking experience. Feet of nearly all widths feel good in ECCO, comfort straight from the box."

(actual fit differs by model, consult with Ecco shoe store in person)

Also, packing more efficiently (google "skivvy roll") to fit is not an excuse to stuff more crap into your pack. You need to pay attention to the total weight on your shoulders. Make a complete list of items by weight and work your way through to reduce total backpack weight to 10% of your bodyweight. Example:
http://graywolfsurvival.com/66545/how-t ... d-bug-bag/

So if you weight 180 lbs, ideally you want to keep your backpack to 18 lbs, or as close to it as you can. If you need to carry additional gear like a canteen, consider using a belt pouch.
Last edited by momopi on June 1st, 2015, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Winston: Try tailor-made shoes or looking for ones with a "munson last." Looking it up will explain it better than I can, but in short: shoes sometimes aren't designed for feet, which is like gloves being designed for a three-fingered hand.

Also, boat shoes might solve a lot of your problems. You don't really need socks, a plus.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on February 21st, 2020, 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wolfeye wrote:Winston: Try tailor-made shoes or looking for ones with a "munson last." Looking it up will explain it better than I can, but in short: shoes sometimes aren't designed for feet, which is like gloves being designed for a three-fingered hand.

Also, boat shoes might solve a lot of your problems. You don't really need socks, a plus.
I've noticed that too. That's why I can only wear tennis shoes or athletic shoes or loafers. They have a soft interior for your toes. But casual shoes and stylish shoes don't fit your toes so they bruise and hurt them as you walk. How are other people able to wear them then? I don't get it. How do they sell?

It looks like the only solution is to buy high end casual shoes. But there are none where I'm at.

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I'll occasionally buy high end casual shoes only when they have sales going on when they are 30% or more off the price. You just have to keep an eye out for what time of the year they change their stock and try to get rid of older models. Usually the end of the year and sometimes mid year are the usual times they have the big sales. When you in the mall just keep an eye out for sales.

You can also like the FB pages of the shoe stores that have their own Taiwan FB page and usually they will notify you when there is a sale going on.

In the Philippines you can get huge discounts on shoes during the Christmas season and after New Years cause they are trying to get rid of certain models, the problem is finding the right size that is on sale. I'm a 10 give or take .5 depending on the shoe and that size seems to be one of the most common and thus more difficult to find shoes on sale in.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Theoretically, you could buy a half-size or a size bigger & padd the inside. Insoles might work. I have a pair of boots that were a size too large, but it was all they had- so they gave me insoles (not sure if there was anything different about them as opposed to any other kind of insole. Couldn't get them back in when I took them out, but they worked before that.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

If you need to take CDs or DVDs, don't put them each in their own case. Put them on a spindle or put more than one in a box. I helped someone repack recently who wasn't very efficient at it.

If you have the cash, a trip to Asia may be a good time to buy some personal clothing. Wear the heaviest shoes you are taking. It's good to have a pair of sandals, but you may be able to buy shoes or sandals there at a cheaper price. I had difficulty finding shoes over size 9 and a half or 10 in South Korea and Indonesia. So you should ask on a website for that country whether you can buy shoes there in your size. I found it hard to find any socks that were held up by more than one rubber band like thing at the top in Indonesia, except for athletic socks. Sock can be small in Asia, too. If you are husky or tall, pants and shirts can be hard to find, too. My experience several years ago tells me that you can get clothes for about half to a third of the US price in Indonesia.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

In case anyone's interested, here are travel bags you can order from Rick Steves' Travel Store, which lets you travel with one easy to carry around bag that has everything you need. Some of his backpacks have wheels and handles so you can drag it around like a luggage case if you get tired of carrying them on your back.

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/travel-bags

"Our travel bags have been personally designed by Rick Steves to bring you maximum durability and practicality for the lowest price. We think you'll agree — Rick's bags are the best travelin' value around!"