TEFL/CELTA/TESOL English Training - Earn Money Abroad!

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: TEFL/CELTA/TESOL English Training - Earn Money Abroad!

Post by xiongmao »

OK now done the CELTA and been teaching in China for 7 months. The CELTA is excellent preparation for going to China. I've been totally left on my own in the classroom. Some courses have textbooks, but that's about it.

To reply to the posters above, yes you get a physical in China. You get a chest x ray, ecg and belly ultrasound which will show things up (I have a kidney stone apparently). Also a blood test. I don't think they would disqualify you from a visa except maybe for being HIV+.

The foreign teachers in my school are mostly old retirees and they're pretty good. One has a MA TESOL. Another was a teacher. They're certainly better than a lot of the local teachers (all that teacher talk!!!).

I would say even lousy foreign teachers do OK here as we are here to get the students to speak. We shouldn't be saying that much. And it's useful for students to gain exposure to bad English, as they will one day need to do business with people from countries where English is just the language of trade.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.