How MANY of you are truly happier abroad?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

How MANY of you are truly happier abroad?

Post by Bao3niang »

The title says much of it, but HOW many of you will be escaping the Anglosphere in the near future, and where will you be heading? For me it is Vietnam as its a cool and less explored country to me PLUS that I wanna change the locals' beliefs that CHINESE=WIFE HUNTER?BUYER. I'm hanging around almost exclusively on www.vietnameselove.com.

If u guys have ur own thoughts+advice for me, just post it here! Thanks!
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'm writing a blog post about whether I was Happier Abroad.

Actually the UK does feel like a foreign country right now - I've been away so long it still feels different.

Good things I've found so far are that geeks are in huge demand and my phone has been ringing off the hook with job opportunities. And there are a load of foreign women here anyway. When I get more settled I'll do some dating but quite honestly anyone who has just spent 6 months in Bangkok will have had enough of women for a while.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
ZaroSath
Freshman Poster

Post by ZaroSath »

i'm also interested in vietnam, i have a friend visiting his grandmother from there and we already have plans to visit for a couple of weeks :D

i suppose the reasons are because its fairly unexplored and unspoiled, i believe there is also a law about a foreigner and a local sleeping in the same room being against the law if they are not married too so be careful.

and as always make sure you are not overpaying for stuff.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 4th, 2020, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sfexcellence
Freshman Poster
Location: Body in Vancouver Canada, Mind + Heart + Soul in the World

Post by sfexcellence »

I was happier abroad in 2011, and am looking to be happier abroad this year, but in terms of relocation, not going to happen anytime soon, unless I choose to start an online business.

I plan on purchasing a monthly membership at www.wealthyaffiliate.com later this month to see if I can come up with an idea for a business and get it off the ground, if I can I'll pursue it, if I can't I'll travel with what resources I have.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I guess the thing is..... If you worry/plan too much, you will never end up going abroad..... I have to avoid this as well.....

You just have DO IT.....

But one of the things I am most afraid of are bugs. Where I used to live in Beijing was infested with cockroaches (:) although over time I became better at using water to drown and kill them). When I lived there I've had roaches sitting on my toothbrush..... Shivers////
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Bao3niang wrote:I guess the thing is..... If you worry/plan too much, you will never end up going abroad..... I have to avoid this as well.....

You just have DO IT.....

But one of the things I am most afraid of are bugs. Where I used to live in Beijing was infested with cockroaches (:) although over time I became better at using water to drown and kill them). When I lived there I've had roaches sitting on my toothbrush..... Shivers////
I think bugs are everywhere. I've had cockroach infestations in many apartments and houses that I've lived in throughout the USA. I've had them next to my toiletries (including toothbrush), in with the silverware, on my towel (roach went down my back when I was drying off, etc).. I have to use poisons to keep them out. However, it seems that many in 3rd World countries don't care about bugs so much. Some locals even EAT them...lol. I remember one experience in the Philippines that I won't forget. I remember going into this extremely small room with a toilet and bucket of cold water. I used a bowl to get water out of the bucket for a "shower". After a couple of bowls of water over my head, I noticed a HUGE roach...biggest one I've ever seen. I thought that thing was gonna kill and eat me...lol. I finished my "shower", dried off and went out of that room. I had the maid (many households have maids for whatever reason even if they aren't particularly rich) kill it, which she didn't seem to want to do. I almost took the shoe away from her so that I could kill it before it got away...lol.

Singapore (one of the cleanest countries I've ever seen) even has roaches that roam the busier streets at night.

I hate roaches, but at least they aren't dangerous really. In Arizona and Nevada we have MANY types of Scorpions, Assassin Bugs, Brown Recluses, Sun Spiders, etc....much worse. I killed a Brown Recluse in my bedroom last year and a Bark Scorpion (the most poisonous kind in the USA) behind the TV. I also killed a few of them outside on the front step...trying to get IN the house.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: How MANY of you are truly happier abroad?

Post by Yohan »

I left Europe about 40 years ago for Asia, and I am living now in Japan.

After my retirement last year I am frequently spending some months in our second home in Thailand.

I never came back to Europe and I never regretted my decision to leave the Western world.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re:

Post by Yohan »

Bao3niang wrote:
January 22nd, 2014, 5:54 am
But one of the things I am most afraid of are bugs...
Such similar problems are everywhere in Asia. Bugs are rather harmless.

I had termites in my home in Thailand in a large condominium building in the 11th floor causing huge damage.
The entire floor and a door had to be replaced.

I also had to fight a rat invasion in our home in Tokyo as we are living near a yacht harbour.
They were causing damages on all wooden furniture and stairs and even were seriously damaging the piano beyond repair.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

I left the USA 7 years ago and am still liking Europe regardless of the current invasion happening. I haven’t even been back to the US to visit as there’s nothing there for me.

Just spent 3 amazing days in a little town in Poland chalk full of amazing women. It was also safer there and less expensive by about 60%
TruthSeeker
Junior Poster

Post by TruthSeeker »

euro, you are in Dublin. Why did you choose to live there? Why not Poland where there are amazing women as you say? Why not Eastern Europe where things are much cheaper. Why did you choose to live in Dublin?
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

I left the U.S. in 2016 and have been living in Mexico since; yes, I even have a steady girlfriend of 9 months. Though I did go back and visit twice, I have no future there, and I don't even see the point in visiting anymore.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

TruthSeeker wrote:
February 4th, 2018, 11:13 am
euro, you are in Dublin. Why did you choose to live there? Why not Poland where there are amazing women as you say? Why not Eastern Europe where things are much cheaper. Why did you choose to live in Dublin?
Salary and career options, nothing more. I could get a job there in Poland but in a smaller town it would be only 1200€ a month and maybe Inn Warsaw I could make 2k gross.

Where as here in Dublin I can make 2-4x more. My plan is to bring one back here and get her up on her feet. Since most speak English and Poland is in the EU this can be done easily.
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Post by Bao3niang »

I see that some of you clearly have career considerations. I do not, as I do not want a career to begin with. Once I get myself back to Asia I'm sure I will be happier, and I never plan to set foot in Canada or the Anglosphere again.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!