Teaching English abroad vs Teaching Subjects abroad

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
tre
Junior Poster

Teaching English abroad vs Teaching Subjects abroad

Post by tre »

OK, I have decided to get a teaching degree. I was going to do a tough Engineering Degree. However, since I'm approaching 40, decided against that for MANY obvious reasons. I've already got an Associates of General Education which I completed many years ago. I'd just need to transfer courses over to a University and then go from there. I think I can work and go to school part-time, year-around and complete the degree in 3 years. I should also be able to pay down my debt or pay off my debt entirely in that time...if I live extremely tight.

Since I will be getting a teaching degree, doesn't it make sense to strive to work at an International School? This would require two years experience and a teaching certificate in a subject. That means it would likely take me 5 years total, including the teaching degree. HOWEVER, it looks like it might be worth it after looking at the differences in salaries. It seems that teaching a Subject in English at an International School will start you out at around $3500+ USD per month. Teaching English abroad seems to only make around $1000-$1500/month. Since my goal is to stay in the country for 10+ years, I think making twice or three times the income will turn out to be extremely worth it. Also, it looks like the options of countries to choose from go WAY up if you are a Teacher of a Subject (with degree and cert) vs Teaching English.

Thoughts or Experience on this topic? Thanks in advance:)
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 13th, 2020, 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

Ghost wrote:You'll make more money, but you'll work a lot harder as well. It's always good to diversify your skill-set though. I think it will balance out for the most part.
In what ways will it be harder once qualified? It will be definitely be harder to qualify myself as it will take 2 years longer (at least). However, once qualified, the hours required for both seem very part-time to what I'm used to. Depending on the country, you can get similar benefits as well. The two biggest advantages that I see with Teaching a Subject in English at an International school is the increased pay (of course) and many more jobs and countries to choose from. I might even go ahead and get a Masters Degree while I'm getting my 2 years of teaching experience...we will see. I am going to be getting the CELTA cert once I have a regular teaching cert...I think that is a wise move to insure that I can something immediately no matter what. Once I'm qualified...I'm out of here for at least 10 years. I just want to be able to make enough to support myself AND save $$. I can't work forever so I need to be putting something away at the same time.

The biggest drawback of my plan is teaching children in the USA. I really don't want to do that, but I'll need 2 years teaching experience and that certification. I am going to get my BA in Education K-8 as I don't think I'd be able to tolerate American teenagers....at all.