Teaching English in China without college degree?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
magnum
Junior Poster

Teaching English in China without college degree?

Post by magnum »

know after July the laws changed making it a bit scandal to teach English without a degree, but I've gotta ask if it's still possible, if anyone is doing it and how hard they're coming down on schools about the credentials of the teachers.

From what I read, they can charge the school or the teacher for 100k RMB and the crazy part is, you can be rejected exit of the country until you pay that money back, effectively jailing you in china as teaching English was probably your only source of income in the first place.

I'm curious if any of you are teaching now or know of anyone teaching and if the risk is really all that bad, I'm interested in doing this my self, but I don't want my relationship and my life to be destroyed because of something like this.

The articles I've read though seem very biased though, I know a lot of it's true, I just don't know the extent of the crack down.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Teaching English in China without college degree?

Post by momopi »

magnum wrote:know after July the laws changed making it a bit scandal to teach English without a degree, but I've gotta ask if it's still possible, if anyone is doing it and how hard they're coming down on schools about the credentials of the teachers.
If your goal is to be in Japan, then you should probably ask English teachers in Japan about the expected requirements. Suppose if the better jobs require BA degree, teaching cert and experience, China might be one solution to obtaining the experience requirement. But you'd still need to get a BA degree from an accredited university. While it is possible to be an English teacher without a bachelor's degree (numerous web sites on this subject), not having the degree means less choices and opportunities.

If an oversea English teacher with BA degree tell you that it's pointless/worthless to get a college degree, don't bother trying and you're better off staying where you are, that person doesn't want you to come and compete against him in the same job market.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

Thanks for the information, I guess not much has changed on the subject then, it's all paperwork and scare tactics as far as I'm concerned.

online college while teaching English in china seems to be more and more the rout I want to go.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

magnum wrote:Thanks for the information, I guess not much has changed on the subject then, it's all paperwork and scare tactics as far as I'm concerned.

online college while teaching English in china seems to be more and more the rout I want to go.
Yeah, my college degree was done online, and I'm teaching in China, so don't worry about it. Here are a few suggestions in terms of reputable online colleges:

UMASS Online--University of Massachusetts

UMUC--University of Maryland University College

Penn State Online World Campus--Penn State University

Depaul University Online--Depaul University

CUNY School of Professional Studies--The City University of New York Online

San Jose State University Online--San Jose State University
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I figure I could teach without a degree as much as it would suck.....and try my hand at getting a engineering degree with a online college, save up cash, once I get my college paper, branch out and pray the over seas market is still what it is now, by the time i'm 35... i'll still look young and be in even better shape, no matter if I marry my girl friend or not, I don't see finding a woman over seas a problem after that amount of success.
tre
Junior Poster

Post by tre »

magnum wrote:I figure I could teach without a degree as much as it would suck.....and try my hand at getting a engineering degree with a online college, save up cash, once I get my college paper, branch out and pray the over seas market is still what it is now, by the time i'm 35... i'll still look young and be in even better shape, no matter if I marry my girl friend or not, I don't see finding a woman over seas a problem after that amount of success.
There are many online degrees you can get, but I really don't believe that Engineering is one of them. Engineering is one of the hardest Bachelors Degrees you can get. You might be able to knock out some beginner courses toward the degree online, but I think you will find that you'll need to be in an actual classroom for the latter half at very least. Also, Internships (starting your Junior year) are just as important as getting the degree. The Engineers that have a hard time finding jobs are those that didn't get the experience outside of school. Engineering is also what I plan to go into so I've done alot of research about it. I recommend you do the same as you may find that another Degree may be better suited for your goals (to get out of the country ASAP). Getting a degree in Engineering is a serious commitment....
Dragon
Junior Poster

Post by Dragon »

tre wrote:
magnum wrote:I figure I could teach without a degree as much as it would suck.....and try my hand at getting a engineering degree with a online college, save up cash, once I get my college paper, branch out and pray the over seas market is still what it is now, by the time i'm 35... i'll still look young and be in even better shape, no matter if I marry my girl friend or not, I don't see finding a woman over seas a problem after that amount of success.
There are many online degrees you can get, but I really don't believe that Engineering is one of them. Engineering is one of the hardest Bachelors Degrees you can get. You might be able to knock out some beginner courses toward the degree online, but I think you will find that you'll need to be in an actual classroom for the latter half at very least. Also, Internships (starting your Junior year) are just as important as getting the degree. The Engineers that have a hard time finding jobs are those that didn't get the experience outside of school. Engineering is also what I plan to go into so I've done alot of research about it. I recommend you do the same as you may find that another Degree may be better suited for your goals (to get out of the country ASAP). Getting a degree in Engineering is a serious commitment....
He's right. I'm studying engineering a legitimate state school. Engineering is considered a professional degree, meaning it involves licensing. That means it requires serious rigor and professional standards as dictated by ABET. Any engineering program not certified by ABET is worthless, and as far as I know, ABET does not certify any online undergraduate degree program in engineering.

Also, think about this: would you trust your surgeon if he told you he received his medical degree online? I don't think so. Medical degrees are also professional degrees. You wouldn't trust an engineer to build anything or be competent if he never had any access to the extremely expensive hardware and machinery available in most state/private brick and motor universities with certified engineering programs. Not to mention having face to face access to professors who often times have massive experience in industry and a lot of connections.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I got my MBA from University of Phoenix. They have an online school that offers BA in education. However the cost is not cheap. It is possible to find State colleges with cheaper online courses, and some do not charge out of state (non resident) fees for online classes. It's easy to find education degrees offered online but not engineering.

Check Adams state, Peru state, Troy, Fort Hayes, U of Wyoming, etc. Many web sites and blogs on thus subject. I cannot speak about the quality of education at these online schools so you will have to do your own research. My $0.02 is that you should consider at least attending some classes on campus for the college experience.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 23rd, 2016, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
magnum
Junior Poster

Post by magnum »

I think it's a good thing they're getting more serious about it and making the laws tougher however, my situation requires me to by one of the bad guys at the moment