Philippines, Thailand or Vietnam?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.

Where should I narrow my search?

Philippines
61%
Thailand
17%
Vietnam
No votes
Other (please specify)
22%

Total votes: 18
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Well, I'm starting to reconsider, having read some of Stephen Lynch's books on Thailand, and having reviewed, for example, the women available here:

http://www.thaipersonalconnectionltd.co ... cy/gallery

Lots and lots of divorced women, and women with kids. Once you've eliminated these, plus the dogs, there are only about a handful left.

If you look at A Foreign Affair's offerings for Thailand:

http://www.loveme.com/women/thailand/thailand-women.htm

most of the women are well into middle age.

Compare that to Cebu:

http://www.loveme.com/women/cebu-women/cebu-women.htm

Lots and LOTS of cuties in their twenties.

Plus, I think that Thai women tend to prefer Englishmen and other Europeans over Americans.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/25/world ... ted=1&_r=2

Lots of Farangs have moved to Isaan. When I was visiting during the 1980s: virtually none living in the area. At least I didn't come across any. But, it does look as if her family could easily drain your assets, which is something that I already knew.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

Halwick wrote:
(Note: I didn't say ALL Filipinas are like this, but the trend and numbers runs toward a high percentage, therefore I can say with confidence, MOST.)
WRONG! The numbers point to a very TINY percentage. MOST filipinas will never date or marry a foreigner. MOST filipinas do NOT speak english once you leave the major cities. MOST will marry locals. This hub author and his 20,000 or so visas per year is not even a drop in the bucket compared to millions of available young girls there. MOST foreigners will never see nor hear from these girls because they don't speak english or hang out on chat sites.

When it comes to those that DO hang out on dating and chat sites targeted at Americans, most of what Halwick and that hub article states is very true, maybe even for 80% or more. That is still a tiny figure compared.to what is there for those willing go there, learn the language and get involved in the true local culture.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've met many Issan women now. They're great fun to be with, but they range from bad-terrible as far as it comes to money sense.

I was doing a lot better in China, at least Chinese women have their own money. Only a couple of the Chinese women I dated were really destitute. Here it's more like 50%. Some I chatted to online haven't had enough money to jump on a bus and go to meet me.

But I won't deny that Bangkok is a great city to live in. Accommodation is cheap, the air is clean and there's every kind of food here. Last night at 2 am the sky was wonderfully clear and I saw loads of stars. Not sure I ever saw any in Guangzhou.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

I suppose that it could depend on the sort of women with whom you are associating. The Issan street prostitutes will spend their money as soon as they have any.

Some of the ones who claimed not to have bus money may have been scammers who don't want to meet anyone in person.

I remember Bangkok traffic as being horrible. It can only have become worse in the last 30 years.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I think I still hold the record for slowest taxi journey from airport to downtown - 3hrs.

Then I realised I could have walked the last 2 hour bit of the journey in 20 minutes :)
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Okay. Having read "How to Get the Most Bang for your Buck in Thailand"

Thailand seems the best choice. The author mentions an old-fashioned matchmaker in Isaan, which seems the best route.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Halwick wrote:Mr. Pandabear,

You previously married a Filipina and considering marrying another? You stated that you are "hypothetically financial stable, mid-50s widower, White American fairly comfortable, but not Donald Trump who don't want to share TOO much of wealth shared with the in-laws..."

Well in the Philippines, all Kanos are Donald Trumps and that's what your hypothetical new Filipina and her family will expect of you. I don't know whether in your previous marriage you were expected to "contribute" (read subsidize") to her family regularly , but if I were to do it over again, especially in my 50s, I wouldn't want to have that financial drain. That will hypothetically take a big chunk out of your hypothetical financial assets earmarked for your hypothetical daughter's future college funds, your future medical expenses and retirement. Think about it carefully.

If that hypothetical young hot Filipina claims to be single, better verify it. She may be single in her mind, but may not be legally single. Annulments are very difficult to obtain and many don't bother. By marrying a "single" Filipina who's previous marriage is not properly annulled, you may be charged with committing adultery, which is a major offense and difficult to get out of.

You plan to hypothetically take the Filipina back to the USA (hopefully you don't live in California)? Wouldn't recommend it. She and her family will hypothetically want you to sponsor them and bring them to the USA at your expense. Then they will move into your house and take over.
This post is from a while ago.

But I'd imagine a simple "No, I will not do that." should suffice with these requests.

At some point down the road, after she hypothetically obtains her green card and permanent residence status, she will hypothetically divorce you, get all your assets, and sponsor that hypothetical Pinoy husband whom she never properly annulled and move into your former house.

You may say "not all are like that" or "not my honey ko", but there are too many documented cases that shows otherwise. Check out this website and read the posters' experiences: http://ulyssesulysses.hubpages.com/hub/ ... xperiences
There are also many examples of situations where this did not happen.

Again, this is one of the problems with this site: everything is all or nothing. Every single person of whatever race, gender, ethnicity, etc you are talking about is exactly the same.

I'm starting to think that a lot of guys on this forum have mental disorders.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 13th, 2020, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I've met plenty of bar girls here. The problems are that they tend to be lazy, and they are hopeless with money. Also their phones are full of contact numbers of men. Yikes. Not sure it's good to marry a lady who drinks either.

While some might want to settle down, most already have kids, so they've been there and done that.

Best thing is to just date loads of ladies. Now the marry-able types are very obvious to me.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Ghost wrote:
Maverick wrote:
Halwick wrote:Mr. Pandabear,

You previously married a Filipina and considering marrying another? You stated that you are "hypothetically financial stable, mid-50s widower, White American fairly comfortable, but not Donald Trump who don't want to share TOO much of wealth shared with the in-laws..."

Well in the Philippines, all Kanos are Donald Trumps and that's what your hypothetical new Filipina and her family will expect of you. I don't know whether in your previous marriage you were expected to "contribute" (read subsidize") to her family regularly , but if I were to do it over again, especially in my 50s, I wouldn't want to have that financial drain. That will hypothetically take a big chunk out of your hypothetical financial assets earmarked for your hypothetical daughter's future college funds, your future medical expenses and retirement. Think about it carefully.

If that hypothetical young hot Filipina claims to be single, better verify it. She may be single in her mind, but may not be legally single. Annulments are very difficult to obtain and many don't bother. By marrying a "single" Filipina who's previous marriage is not properly annulled, you may be charged with committing adultery, which is a major offense and difficult to get out of.

You plan to hypothetically take the Filipina back to the USA (hopefully you don't live in California)? Wouldn't recommend it. She and her family will hypothetically want you to sponsor them and bring them to the USA at your expense. Then they will move into your house and take over.
This post is from a while ago.

But I'd imagine a simple "No, I will not do that." should suffice with these requests.

At some point down the road, after she hypothetically obtains her green card and permanent residence status, she will hypothetically divorce you, get all your assets, and sponsor that hypothetical Pinoy husband whom she never properly annulled and move into your former house.

You may say "not all are like that" or "not my honey ko", but there are too many documented cases that shows otherwise. Check out this website and read the posters' experiences: http://ulyssesulysses.hubpages.com/hub/ ... xperiences
There are also many examples of situations where this did not happen.

Again, this is one of the problems with this site: everything is all or nothing. Every single person of whatever race, gender, ethnicity, etc you are talking about is exactly the same.

I'm starting to think that a lot of guys on this forum have mental disorders.
And how many of these cases are from farangs/kanos who married a bar-girl and then brought her back to their western countries? Marrying a hooker in Asia makes about as much sense as...well, marrying a hooker anywhere. How many of these horror stories come from guys who were discerning, who actually stayed in her country, didn't marry a hooker, and learned their wife's language? I'd assume not very many and that the success rate for men who did things the right ways is damn near 100%.
I agree.

I also believe that guys that do proper research, get involved with the locals, and eventually bring girls back to the US have a good shot at a successful marriage too.

Obviously, marrying a bar girl is a bad idea. Marrying a girl from a website that you don't really know and bringing her back is probably a bad idea too.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

Neither?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Here's a direct comparison from Scott Mallon, formerly posting here as AmericanInBangkok,

Come back Scott, we miss you!
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Here's a video response to another of Scott's videos, that I posted on another (Thailand) thread:

"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."