Should a man try to settle down and raise a family?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
celery2010
Freshman Poster

Post by celery2010 »

If you meet the right woman and fall in love, and it is the right time, it can sometimes be stupid not to get married.

Remember that the right woman can completely alter your life. You'll be happier, more confident on a daily basis. Plus if you love her, you'll be in that situation where you can't live without her.

Usually this works out best for couple where both parties are attractive, intelligent and interesting.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Should a man try to settle down and raise a family?

Post by Jester »

Teal Lantern wrote:
Winston wrote:Question: Should a man try to settle down and raise a family, as society and most people say you should?
[...]
What do you all think?
Should a gazelle run slower so the lion doesn't have to work so hard for its dinner?
See if you can find an episode of the original Twilight Zone called To Serve Man. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Should a man try to settle down and raise a family?

Post by Jester »

Cornfed wrote: A wife is a household appliance which if properly wired and maintained can perform a number of useful roles. Also, it turns out that the irritating, idle banter females engage in with each other on a daily basis is a critical component of the social fabric.
Haha - so true. Having a good-hearted, subservient, positive woman really boosts your social life: entertaining at home, invitations to parties, and getting involved in community events.

Even better than having a dog. :wink:
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Winston wrote:Question: Do men regret it if they don't settle down and raise a family? Hollywood portrays men who didn't do this as being filled with regret about it.

For example, in the movie "Star Trek Generations", when Picard meets Kirk in the Nexus, Kirk is living out his fantasy of having stayed on Earth (instead of jetting around in the Enterprise) and raising a family in a house in the forest. Part of Kirk always regretted that he didn't settle down but instead spent his career on a starship.

Is that accurate? Do men who lead lives of adventure eventually regret that they didn't settle down and raise a family? Have any of you met anyone like that?
Yes. I have. I haven't met many men 50+ that never had children and have always been bachelors. The ones that I have met (that aren't complete weirdos) tend to be very interesting guys, but all of them regret, to some degree, never having a family.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Hmmm...I once said to my mother how I didn't want to live a normal 9-5 lifestyle...it was boring and wouldn't allow me to travel and live an adventurous life. She pointed out how my father traveled to Colombia to go dove hunting, Jamaica to fish for Marlin and Sailfish, and the Bahamas to SCUBA dive.

I'm 50 and happy to be married with children. It has not stop me from traveling and in a couple of years my kids will be old enough to help me on my expeditions. Getting married and having kids doesn't have to be a jail sentence. Behind every good man is a good woman and I do believe this. Marriage to the right person can bring lots of happiness, make life easier, and allows you to focus your energies elsewhere. When I was single I was like a dog in heat, always trying to find somewhere to stick it, causing me to become unfocused at times.

Many people feel they have minimal options in how they live their lives. But people have the choice to set up their life to be the life they want. At a young age I knew I hated taking orders and working for others. So I set up several business and worked for myself. I've had my flush times and my down times but like Sinatra sang, "I did it my way."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

anamericaninbangkok wrote: Many people feel they have minimal options in how they live their lives. But people have the choice to set up their life to be the life they want.
Isn't it more the case that some people have a lot of options and others don't, depending on where they come from, who their parents are etc.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

anamericaninbangkok wrote:Hmmm...I once said to my mother how I didn't want to live a normal 9-5 lifestyle...it was boring and wouldn't allow me to travel and live an adventurous life. She pointed out how my father traveled to Colombia to go dove hunting, Jamaica to fish for Marlin and Sailfish, and the Bahamas to SCUBA dive.

I'm 50 and happy to be married with children. It has not stop me from traveling and in a couple of years my kids will be old enough to help me on my expeditions. Getting married and having kids doesn't have to be a jail sentence. Behind every good man is a good woman and I do believe this. Marriage to the right person can bring lots of happiness, make life easier, and allows you to focus your energies elsewhere. When I was single I was like a dog in heat, always trying to find somewhere to stick it, causing me to become unfocused at times.

Many people feel they have minimal options in how they live their lives. But people have the choice to set up their life to be the life they want. At a young age I knew I hated taking orders and working for others. So I set up several business and worked for myself. I've had my flush times and my down times but like Sinatra sang, "I did it my way."

THIS!!!! I plan to start some businesses once this wedding and other things are done within a few years. I truly cannot do this while alone for the reasons you listed. I spend too much time even just thinking about where p***y is located as a single man.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

celery2010 wrote:If you meet the right woman and fall in love, and it is the right time, it can sometimes be stupid not to get married.

Remember that the right woman can completely alter your life. You'll be happier, more confident on a daily basis. Plus if you love her, you'll be in that situation where you can't live without her.

Usually this works out best for couple where both parties are attractive, intelligent and interesting.
This is the usual nonsense of propaganda that every man made miserable, broken, and defeated by marriage believed at a certain point.

In actuality, the opposite is true. If you want to be with a woman of quality, you do it and stay in the UNMARRIED state. That way, the balance of power stays weighed in your favor, and you will not feel trapped by later thinking, "It's just cheaper to keep her."

The men here are too smart to fall for the marriage dupe.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
celery2010 wrote:If you meet the right woman and fall in love, and it is the right time, it can sometimes be stupid not to get married.

This is the usual nonsense of propaganda that every man made miserable, broken, and defeated by marriage believed at a certain point.

In actuality, the opposite is true. If you want to be with a woman of quality, you do it and stay in the UNMARRIED state. That way, the balance of power stays weighed in your favor, and you will not feel trapped by later thinking, "It's just cheaper to keep her."

Not necessarily.

I know plenty of men that are happily married. Some men here are happily married as well.

It really depends on what kind of person you are....and what kind of person you marry.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Maverick wrote:

Not necessarily.

I know plenty of men that are happily married. Some men here are happily married as well.

It really depends on what kind of person you are....and what kind of person you marry.
The vast majority of these men are miserable, but they claim to be happy to save face. You need to ask HONEST married men, and these are rare.

Small subsets of married men are indeed happy, usually newlyweds or those whose wives are not and will soon make the husbands lives hell.

60% of marriages split within the first 5 years, but have to factor in the people who stay married for the kids, for financial reasons, or religious reasons.

The numbers suggest that 90% of all US marriages are failures in that they either end in divorce or stay intact in utter misery.

Case closed.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

ladislav wrote:It's a natural desire, and this is why one starts getting horny and stuff at a certain age, and falls in love. The problem is if it's in the US, the society is not normal, so one's sexual urges won't be channeled into a normal, productive groove. If one is deprived of it long enough, the desire will ferment and then take new shapes. Some sickos will become kidnappers like what they had in Cleveland now. Some will become gays, some will become sex tourists and residents of Bangkok and AC. After that, it's hard to settle down and follow a natural path anymore.

After you hit 46-47, the sexual urge diminishes, but a new urge rises- you want to have kids growing up around you whom you protect, nurture and educate. But you don't have them. This is why you have all these middle aged couples dying to adopt and have a complete home.

Philosophically speaking, none of those things are lasting.
Yup, if they legalized prostitution, that would eliminate the heterosexual sex predator overnight. There would still be homosexual ones, cause they work under a different mechanism.

This just tells me that feminists care more about limiting men's choices than they do about society. I really do believe feminism, communism and the rest are from Satan, and those who espouse and disseminate are enemies of God.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
anamericaninbangkok
Junior Poster

Post by anamericaninbangkok »

Too smart to fall for the marriage dupe?

Complete horse shit. I sowed my oats thousands of times over and waited until I was 36 before getting married. It was one of the best things I've ever done. Getting rid of my wife wouldn't cost me shit financially.

The propaganda is what some on this board spew; all AW are whores, all women are whores, they're fat, won't go after decent men, and every married man is doomed to misery and defeat. The truth is, there are hot American women with decent, average looking men, and many men who are happily married. Some of the men here are smart with women, some are with women in foreign countries because it suits them, and some simply think they're too smart to "fall for marriage."

Marriage is certainly not for everyone. To each is own. But my parents have been married for 51 years. My best friend has been married for 22 years. Several other friends have been married between 15-20 years. Are their marriages perfect? I don't think so. Are they happy, yes. Are my friends lying to me? I don't think so. I've known them a long time and most have told me things far worse than, "My marriage sucks and I don't know what to do."

The problem nowadays is that both men and women think marriage is based on this romantic, perfect love, fairy tale nonsense and they run at the first sign of trouble. Marriage, and any relationship, takes work. I also think many men use their cock to pick a partner instead of their brain and that's their first mistake. I like to think I used both.

Men want attractive women who are decent to them. Don't you think women want the same thing? Nobody withdraws men's right to choose their women. In the end, a man is responsible for his decisions and one of those decisions is who he choose for his partner. If he wants one...

Also, balance of power? Real men don't let go of their power.

The less men think women are the enemy and realize dealing with them in a win-win fashion makes it easier it is to deal with them and to get a long with them. Frankly, when I was single, I learned it's much easier to not take a woman's rejection personally. f**k it, her loss, move on to the next one and don't let it bother you, ever.

Whether or not you like the Seinfeld show, take a look at Jerry's attitude towards women. He would have a hottie lined up, in his bedroom, and something negative would happen spoiling everything. The women storm out, he makes some sarcastic comment, and almost immediately, he's over her. To me, this is the best way to be. The more money you have, the easier it is to get a loan. The less you need women, the more they want you.