Should Winston get US citizenship for his son Angelo?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Should Winston get US citizenship for his son Angelo?

Post by Winston »

Damn its almost time to renew my visa again. Time goes so fast here in angeles city. I didnt even mail in my sons application for US citizenship yet. I was supposed to do it February 23 when i got back from taiwan. Sheesh. I also have changes to my website i have to make for my advertisers that i cant get to. Its f***ing impossible to do any work here or get anything done. Sheesh! Its always so hot and noisy and distracting here. And it makes me always feel tired, slow and sluggish. f**k. The vibe here is very anti-intellectual too. I hate it when im not in control of my days and production. I hate it when work never gets done. I hate it when i procrastinate and am way behind schedule and am too tired to do anything about it. U always worry about food and staying cool from heat here. Everyone wants ur time and money here. The only quiet cool place to work here is clarkton hotel and Natalia hotel lounge with internet cafe. This town totally makes u lose control in terms of productivity or schedules or assignments. I hate that. f**k man. I cant get anything done. Not even stuff from February. Something always blocks and distracts you. Its one of the most unproductive towns in the world. No clean quiet places, only noise and distractions.

Mr S also says he notices that theres like a time warp field here that makes sure you never get anything done. Philippines is not the place to ever lead any kind of productive life. It makes you feel always lazy and tired.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Falcon
Experienced Poster

Post by Falcon »

Then why not move back to Taiwan, the land of productivity and efficiency? :D
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Good news announcement!

Back in Philippines now. We went to the US embassy yesterday for Angelo's US citizenship interview after i filed a consular report of birth abroad and submitted all the necessary documents.

We passed the interview for US citizenship and were approved! My son is now a US citizen and will be getting his US passport in the mail! We are so ecstatic and happy. We been waiting a long time for this. And Angelo has wanted this for years too. A US passport will give him more opportunities for a better life abroad, whether in america or another country.

They didn't ask us to do a DNA test fortunately. I guess they trust our timeline. Or maybe the DNA test we did a few years ago at Easy DNA Philippines, which sent the samples to be tested in the US at an accredited lab, was enough to suffice for them. I'm not sure and didn't want to bring it up since they declared already that the application had been approved. So i didn't want to take the risk of asking about it.

All I had to do was pay some fees. Early on during the interview, when they sent me to pay the fees i knew we had passed the interview and that his citizenship had been approved. :) All that was left were formalities.

The whole interview with two consecutive consular staff was done through a window which seemed a bit awkward, like talking to a bank teller or someone in jail. I thought it'd be done in a private room with like a job interview. Lol

Furthermore they said Angelo could apply for Diannes citizenship too. However Dianne would have to emigrate to the US on an immigrant visa in order to do that, and await her green card and citizenship there, like a normal immigrant would do, which she would consider since she wants to get out of Philippines anyway.

Wish i could treat you all to pizza and champagne today to celebrate! :)))
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw I think i know now why the US embassy staff only talk to you through a glass wall. Because if they allow visitors to enter their offices and rooms, then one day, a terrorist or professional killer or martial artists trained in hand to hand combat, even without weapons, could hijack the embassy and subdue all the staff and hold them hostage.

Whether it be one attacker or a team of them, it could be pulled off in theory if the attackers were very strong and adept in hand to hand combat, using their bare hands and office objects, if they were well trained in unarmed combat. They could hold the embassy hostage and then demand something from the US government. Like a ransom or release of prisoners or withdrawal of US troops somewhere. Etc.

Thats the most logical reason i think for all the security and communication through a glass wall. To prevent stuff like that from happening and eliminate any risk of it. Especially since america has enemies.

I sort of imagined an interview in a room with a table and chairs and coffee and tea and handshakes. Lol. Like you would get in a job interview.

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Congratulations on your sons' citizenship. Guess now he also has an easier chance of being 'happier abroad' if he tires of the Philippines and wants to explore the rest of the world. Maybe he'll be like his father and chase girls in Russia and China one day as well. :lol: How old is Angelo now, anyway? He's pretty close to being a teenager already isn't it? Time really flies. Amazing.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

On the one hand, this is a good thing and your son will be able to study and work in the USA whenever he so chooses.

However, there is a negative side to this too because your son will be liable for filing federal income tax returns, paying income tax over a certain level, and filing annual bank account reports when he accumulates the equivelant of $10,000 in total bank account assets. Those three negatives are causing Americans to increasingly RENOUNCE their US citizenship. Andrew Henderson (Noman Capitalist) and Eduardo Saverin (formerly of Facebook) are two of the most prominent examples.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 12:21 am
Congratulations on your sons' citizenship. Guess now he also has an easier chance of being 'happier abroad' if he tires of the Philippines and wants to explore the rest of the world. Maybe he'll be like his father and chase girls in Russia and China one day as well. :lol: How old is Angelo now, anyway? He's pretty close to being a teenager already isn't it? Time really flies. Amazing.
Thanks. Yes well what you guys gotta remember is that while PH may be HA for some of you, leaving the PH may be HA for many Filipinos. Also the grass is always greener on the other side too, no matter where you are. So many Filipinos will have an inverse view compared to us and see America as their HA destination. You can't blame them, for if you had been born and raised in the PH you may feel the same way.

Yeah it's true. Unless you are from a rich family in the PH, you cannot obtain a decent lifestyle or even a middle class lifestyle, by working alone, since all the jobs pay peanuts. Even a doctor doesn't make much here. The only chance is to work abroad, especially if you are a male. Females can find foreign sugar daddies of course.

Angelo told me he is not interested in girls now. And he thinks he wants to be a doctor. But thankfully he's not gay. lol

He is 11 now. Yeah time flies. Soon he will be able to stay home alone so Dianne and I can travel more. I'm not sure what the legal age that a child can stay home alone is. In the US it might be 12 or 13.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 6:22 am
On the one hand, this is a good thing and your son will be able to study and work in the USA whenever he so chooses.

However, there is a negative side to this too because your son will be liable for filing federal income tax returns, paying income tax over a certain level, and filing annual bank account reports when he accumulates the equivelant of $10,000 in total bank account assets. Those three negatives are causing Americans to increasingly RENOUNCE their US citizenship. Andrew Henderson (Noman Capitalist) and Eduardo Saverin (formerly of Facebook) are two of the most prominent examples.
Well I wouldn't worry about that. That's only an issue for rich people. But if you become rich, then stuff like filing taxes is worth dealing with. Of course the price is worth it. You can even hire an accountant to do your taxes for you. But as far as I know, this is an issue that only affects those with a lot of money and assets. Not those living frugally with a minimalist lifestyle on a small but adequate income. The IRS doesn't go after you unless it thinks you are a target, it only focuses on large fish to fry, not small fish. It doesn't go after hippies and bums and nomads for instance, or those living in spiritual eco-communes. You know what I mean? That's been my experience. The IRS doesn't go after people who would be a waste of time to go after. So such fears are unwarranted. We should only focus on warranted fears such as if you have something important to hide, not if you have nothing to hide.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Do you guys think i should get Angelo Taiwanese citizenship too? Heres what i told Dianne about it. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea? Any pros or cons?

[5/16, 12:53 PM] Winston: Oh i forgot to tell you something. If angelo gets taiwan citizenship, then he can also apply for a ten year visa and ID card to go to mainland China anytime he wants. All he has to do is go to a Taiwan travel agency and pay 30 dollars and next week they will give him a chinese ID card and ten year visa! Like the one i have below. See my china ID card below.

This means angelo can go mainland china any time he wants! Since the economy of China is booming and growing, there will be lots of new job opportunities in china in the future! So is angelo wants he can try to find work in China too! Not just america. And since China is growing fast there will be more opportunity in China for work or business!

And of course he can find Chinese wife there too maybe. Lol

What dianne think? So having a Taiwanese citizenship also allows him to live in China too, without a visa, if he wants! That way if he goes to china he will be closer to his home and can fly back anytime easily!

What dianne think? Oh yeah. Oh wow!

[5/16, 12:53 PM] Winston: Thats my compatriot permit to enter china. It lets me stay as long as i want. Because china considers taiwan to be part of china, it also considers taiwan citizens to also be chinese citizens. Thats why they give this to all taiwan citizens if they want it.

This means if angelo gets taiwan citizenship he will qualify for china citizenship too. Then he can live and work there too! Especially since china is growing and getting richer and richer! Oh yeah. Oh wow.

What dianne think?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, it appears on the Taiwan embassy website in Manila, that to give your child Taiwanese citizenship, you and the mother must be married. See the links and requirements below. How uptight is that? lol. Geez. That wasn't required for US citizenship.

What do you think? Is this an absolute rule or just a guideline? Do you think they would be flexible about it if you submitted the other requirements, including the DNA test I did a few years ago?

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ph_en/post/81.html

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/uschi_en/post/47.html

Oh well I guess the only logical thing to do would be to contact them and ask about it.

https://www.roc-taiwan.org/ph_en/contact_us.html

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 7:22 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 6:22 am

Well I wouldn't worry about that. That's only an issue for rich people. But if you become rich, then stuff like filing taxes is worth dealing with. Of course the price is worth it. You can even hire an accountant to do your taxes for you. But as far as I know, this is an issue that only affects those with a lot of money and assets. Not those living frugally with a minimalist lifestyle on a small but adequate income. The IRS doesn't go after you unless it thinks you are a target, it only focuses on large fish to fry, not small fish. It doesn't go after hippies and bums and nomads for instance, or those living in spiritual eco-communes. You know what I mean? That's been my experience. The IRS doesn't go after people who would be a waste of time to go after. So such fears are unwarranted. We should only focus on warranted fears such as if you have something important to hide, not if you have nothing to hide.
I'm afraid you are grossly misinformed. As someone who actually worked with IRS agents in a multi-agency task force, I can tell you that the common perception that only they go after the "big fish" is a huge myth that just will not die.

IRS agents are evaluated and promoted mostly by how many cases they make, and only occasionally by how much money is recovered. That being the case, it is in their interest to go after the easy fish which is usually the small tax cheats, not the rich ones who have the money and resources to conceal their income in elaborate schemes and labyrinths.

What's worse is that Obama's FATCA law is ensnaring thousands of Americans like Angelo who are have never even lived in the USA. The video explains:

More and more people who are like Angelo will be are being discovered and hounded for back taxes and in some cases, even jailed. These are ordinary people who are not wealthy or rich.

The existence of the FATCA law makes me wonder if I should even extend American citizenship for my future children at all. I am actually leaning against it because the ONLY reason I have not renounced is to preserve my right to maintain federal pension rights. Without that, I would have renounced my US citizenship a long time ago!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

CE,
Why are you such a fearmonger? I watched that video. Sure it may be so. But it only applies to working class citizens. Not to children. Angelo is still a kid in school. The IRS doesn't go after kids, only after people who have worked overseas for a while. As an adult, he can worry about that later. Also, when he grows up maybe the laws will have changed. Who knows.

Besides I've never known a poor American citizen to be hounded by the IRS. Ask any guy here, especially those living with parents, if they get audited or threatened by the IRS. Not unless they have high income and assets and are tax evaders. I never known any low income people to be hounded by the IRS. Have you?

I told Dianne about this long ago. She accepted the risk. But I'm not sure Angelo understands what taxes are. He's not in a position to get it. But I'm sure to most Filipinos, the risk and consequence is worth the benefit of US citizenship.

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Winston wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:06 pm
CE,
Why are you such a fearmonger?
Maybe your question should be why are you so dismissive of things that could cause great inconvenience and expense to your son when he gets older?
Also, what you call "fearmongering" is simply informing people who are not aware of things that can come back and bite them in the rear. Unless you've worked with Title 26 of the United States Code, you would not be in a position to know much about any of this.
Winston wrote: I watched that video. Sure it may be so. But it only applies to working class citizens. Not to children. Angelo is still a kid in school. The IRS doesn't go after kids, only after people who have worked overseas for a while. As an adult, he can worry about that later.
Of course it does not apply to children, but the whole point that you seem to have missed is that these people were once children of parents just like yourself who thought that US citizenship would be a good thing to have. Instead it turned into nightmarish experiences for these people when they grew up.
Winston wrote: Besides I've never known a poor American citizen to be hounded by the IRS. Ask any guy here, especially those living with parents, if they get audited or threatened by the IRS. Not unless they have high income and assets and are tax evaders. I never known any low income people to be hounded by the IRS. Have you?
Than that is part of your problem. Just because you have never heard of something, does not mean it does not exist. You don't know what you don't know.

And yes, I have both worked to locate American tax cheats in the countries where I worked. Most of these Americans were poor, but were charged with tax evasion along with laundry lists of other charges. In fact, I only worked on one case with a wealthy individual.
Winston wrote: I told Dianne about this long ago. She accepted the risk. But I'm not sure Angelo understands what taxes are. He's not in a position to get it. But I'm sure to most Filipinos, the risk and consequence is worth the benefit of US citizenship.
Well, let's hope Angelo grows up to be more mindful of the traps and obligations of US tax law than yourself. Also, if he becomes rich and successful, he could reverse the decision you made for him, but only after paying years of taxes or back taxes that he otherwise would not have to pay.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

@ Winston
Good to read that your son has now US-citizenship too.

If you ask me, compared to a Philippine passport, the US-passport is by far the better choice wherever you go outside of Philippines.

Of course with US-citizenship, later as an adult, you are facing also some nasty obligations and US-citizenship with its not very transparent and complicated regulations is more difficult to handle than Canadian, Australian or any European citizenship.

Internationally seen US-citizenship is not bad for any individual - including for those US-nationals living outside of USA - of course what we all think about US-politics is a different matter.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote:
May 16th, 2019, 9:06 pm
..... I've never known a poor American citizen to be hounded by the IRS. Ask any guy here, especially those living with parents, if they get audited or threatened by the IRS. Not unless they have high income and assets and are tax evaders. I never known any low income people to be hounded by the IRS. Have you?
As far as I know when talking with US citizens in Thailand (retired) and in Japan (technicians, average Japanese income), they are mostly angry about the complicated paperwork and the controlling behavior of their own country against them - it is true, no other country I know is so intrusive and is asking so many details about its citizens living abroad.

However payment of taxes are rarely mentioned by them, for this year 2019 there is an allowance of USD 105.000,- or so for US citizens - this is not so little money.

You have to report all and everything - merely routine paper work - which is however so complicated that you need sometimes professional help to do it correctly and it has to be done on time, but it seems required payment of US-taxes is not such a big issue for US-citizens living outside of the USA.