Help! Looking for reputable resources...

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Mike B
Freshman Poster

Help! Looking for reputable resources...

Post by Mike B »

I’m looking for two or three reputable introduction agencies in Columbia or Costa Rica that I can contact. I’m also hoping to get recommendations for a couple online sites (like Columbian Cupid).

As for me, I’ll save you the long story and give you the short one as it seems to be the same as many others who are looking for the right woman. I’ve been happily single my entire life with intentions to marry in my forties. I’m in my forties. If I find someone here in the U.S. - great! However my focus is to find a Latin girl for reasons mentioned by many others. I’ve been to Costa Rica a few times; the first two trips were for vacation. The last (this past month), I went with my eyes open. I met with an agency (Spanish Eyes) and although I didn’t commit to anything they seemed nice and genuine. After returning from my trip, I decided to do more research. And as most of you already know the amount of information regarding agencies, etc. is overwhelming. Probably the best resource I’ve found is this site.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on these boards and it seems Columbia is first on the list with many - so I find myself leaning in that direction. My ideal situation would be to work with an agency that has a more personal approach. I have my own business so my time is limited and can only spare 4-5 days at a time (maybe every 6-8 weeks) to travel. I may end up going on a tour but that wouldn’t be my first choice. Any suggestions or advice is immensely appreciated as I feel a lil lost.

Thanks!

Mike

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

How good is your Spanish?
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

momopi wrote:How good is your Spanish?
As former resident of Columbia, that is the first question- how good is your Spanish?
If the answer is NONE, then you are setting yourself up for failure.
By the way, I would avoid Costa Rica like the plague. Columbia is a far better place.
You have to spend time. It is not a swoop in swoop out deal, no matter what the agencies
say. Most of them are full of BS anyway. You have to spend some time there. If needed,
why not sign up for a Spanish immersion course? You will meet girls and learn some Spanish.
It can easily involve a "Home stay" experience with a Colombian family.

You have to spend the time. The idea that you can do it all like some kind of bride-snatching
raid and be back in the USA with that perfect match soul mate cutie picked out after investing a couple of
weeks, is pretty much bullshit.

Spend the time. It's a good thing.

Outwest
Mike B
Freshman Poster

Post by Mike B »

sorry for the delayed reply - was away on biz. your advise is very realistic... and, i guess, what I suspected. My Spanish sucks but i feel i pick up on it quickly but then lose it when i have nobody to speak it with. A Spanish immersion course sounds right up my ally but isn't that normally a month? my main problem is that I only have short blocks of time: 4 days or so, every other month.

The consensus DOES seem to be Colombia tho. And as far as agencies go I'm looking into A Foreign Affair and a few others. Also I might give Latin America Cupid and/or Colombian Cupid a try. this is going to take some time, you're right.

Thanks again for the reply,

Mike
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

IS your business a "brick and mortar" setup?Are you planning to move to this latin country forever? Can you take your business with you?
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Mike B
Freshman Poster

brick and mortar

Post by Mike B »

currently my store is brick and mortar (retail) although I plan to do an e-commerce push. Hopefully this will be conducive to freeing me up to travel more and possibly operate from Columbia or wherever. But no, I wouldn't be
able to relocate anytime soon.

Mike
*Thanks for the response.
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Welcome to H.A., Mister Mike B.
On the contrary, please stop spelling Colombia as Columbia. I cannot stand that. LOL

Even any shantytown vecindario in Colombia > Washington, District of Columbia

Real Talk.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Mike B
Freshman Poster

COLOMBIA

Post by Mike B »

I keep doing that! Sorry!!!!! lol that would bug me too-

mike
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Mike B wrote:My Spanish sucks but i feel i pick up on it quickly but then lose it when i have nobody to speak it with. A Spanish immersion course sounds right up my ally but isn't that normally a month? my main problem is that I only have short blocks of time: 4 days or so, every other month.
Oh, for god sakes! Just suck it up and learn Spanish!

Even if you're not a language-learning genius, Spanish is quite manageable because it's one of the easier languages to learn and there are so many words borrowed from English (presentación, etc.). There isn't much to Spanish grammar; you could learn it all in a month or two. That just leaves building your vocabulary. Since Spanish is such a common language, you have no shortage of textbooks and audio courses to choose from. You can download a lot for free.

You can put Spanish audio files on your mp3 player and listen to them anywhere. You can post on Spanish forums and try to talk to people there and ask for help. There are language exchange websites where you teach someone English in exchange for them teaching you Spanish via Skype. Many DVDs in America already have Spanish audio and Spanish subtitles. Most cities in America have Spanish radio stations. Keep a few flash cards in your pocket with Spanish words you are trying to learn. Listen to Spanish songs in your car. There are no shortage of things you can do to squeeze language-learning time into your day if you think about it.

Commit to spending even 20 minutes a day studying or listening to Spanish, and you will improve.

¡Buena suerte, mi amigo!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Jackal no tá equivocado. Mike B, tenga en cuenta el último comentario postado dejado por él. Pienso q Jackal te aconsejó muy bien por eso.

Eso era la primera lección suya. (That was your first lesson [of Spanish]).

A propósito, "aguántalo" means "suck it up" in Spanish.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Jackal wrote:Even if you're not a language-learning genius, Spanish is quite manageable because it's one of the easier languages to learn and there are so many words borrowed from English (presentación, etc.).
Isn't every English word that ends in ation the same in Spanish, just with a different pronunciation?
Tonitrus
Freshman Poster

Post by Tonitrus »

Watch this guy's videos on Spanish (and on Portuguese if you're interested). They cover all of Spanish grammar and pronunciation.

http://www.youtube.com/user/languagenow ... 18OTWXtpqg

Be sure to watch the one titled "Overview of Spanish Verb Tenses"
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

gsjackson wrote:
Jackal wrote:Even if you're not a language-learning genius, Spanish is quite manageable because it's one of the easier languages to learn and there are so many words borrowed from English (presentación, etc.).
Isn't every English word that ends in ation the same in Spanish, just with a different pronunciation?
Instead of it being pronounced "-shun" for "-tion" in English, it would be pronounced as "see-own" for it being spelled as "-cíon". (There's an accent mark on the i-character BTW).

Por ejemplo, "conjugation" => "conjugacíon" (But "con" is pronounced as "cone" like ice cream cone; "ga" as Lady Gaga; the j is pronounced as "h")

Remember: never speak Spanish with an English accent: it's abhorrent sounding. Generally, speak Spanish from the bottom of your throat while formulating the sounds in the forefront of your mouth and you should be alright. For 99 percent of Spanish, it's a syllable-based pronouncing language - almost WYSIHIP (what you see is how it's pronounced).

- E. Irizarry (2009)

- E. Irizarry (2012)

Mike B
Freshman Poster

Post by Mike B »

Jackal, I must say I was put off initially by your post. But after thinking about it - (you're really right). Geez I've done tougher things! And to show interest and give good advise to someone you don't even know... well that's just plain cool. Mucho gracias for giving me so many ideas and thanks to everyone else to.

Mi objecto es aprender espanol.

Miguel B