Hello! Seeking insight from all comers...

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

There are about 480,000 Filipinos here in Southern California. I went to high school in Cerritos area and we had many Filipinos in the neighborhood, along with shops like Goldilocks, Jollibee's, Chow King (now closed), Red Ribbon, etc. There's at least 2 medium sized Philipino supermarkets and 1 large one here, one across the street from Cerritos Mall, one at the corner of South St. and Pioneer Blvd (2 blocks East of Cerritos mall), and Seafood City market at corner of Artesia & Norwalk. Numerous small family run places dot the city. I had my first "Halo Halo" in 1982.

There are many, many small sized Filipino markets & restaurants across LA/OC. I was driving to Din Tai Feng in Arcadia last month and saw a converted gas station (now a Pinoy mart) with the big sign that read "BALUT". You can find longanisa at all Ranch 99 markets here too. We even blog about how to cook them:

http://elmomonster.blogspot.com/2005/07 ... anisa.html

North Cal (Daly city) and Seattle also have many Filipinos. There are also some 500,000 in Canada, of which ~100,000 live in Vancouver area.