Moving Back and Forth and All Around

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
sfchicken
Freshman Poster

Moving Back and Forth and All Around

Post by sfchicken »

Hi All! I am an expat currently living in China. I also lived in Chile for 2 years prior to moving to China. The first time I went abroad was to work on Spanish, do some volunteer work and just gain a new perspective and the experience of immersing yourself in another culture. It truly was a blessing that got me on the path I am currently on. I love my experience so much so that I decided to pursue a master's degree in International Studies/Education and my program took me to China. One thing that fascinated me after returning to the US after living in Chile for 2 years was how difficult the adjustment back to my "home" country was. This fascination led me to studying and comparing the experiences of American and Chinese expats upon returning to their home countries. I am looking for additional American participants and would definitely appreciate hearing about your own experiences returning home. I have an online survey that takes about 20-25 minutes to complete. It is completely anonymous but I would definitely appreciate hearing from you! If you are abroad now, but have come home after having lived abroad in the past, that is fine! Thank you all! I look forward to understanding this transition better. Also, if you have any questions about Chile or China, please feel free to ask! I am heading back to China for round 2 in September =)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/AmericanRepatriation
Brooke Logterman
Travelin Man
Freshman Poster

China

Post by Travelin Man »

What prompted the move from Chile to China? Seems like a drastic culture change. What are the pros and cons of China vs Chile? If you have time can you make a list? I'm sure a lot of people on this forum would appreciate it.
Begin with the end in mind