Critique of the Philippines and Filipino culture

Introduce yourself here and let us know who you are.
Forum rules
Welcome. If you are new here, please read the Forum Rules.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The Chinese in my high school were very mean to me. They called Filipinos "not real Asians", "not pure", and "servants/maids." The Chinese elite really do look down upon Filipinos. I want to restore the respect and integrity to the Filipino people. We are a friendly, adaptable, and brave people.
Well, I don't think Filipinos are Asians to begin with. More like Pacific Islanders, with the same languages/culture as Hawaiians or Maoris. I don't know why they are even listed with Asia- they should be with Oceania. And proudly so.

Now, I understand your feelings about the Chinese, but do keep in mind those were Chinese- Americans.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

philosophical filipino,
Have you noticed that once Filipinos become middle class, they act totally different? Very snobby and impatient and argumentative? Me and my friends noticed this. It's like they become snobs and start arguing about little things without valid reasons or arguments. Then when you destroy them with logic, reasons and facts, they have no come back.

Why are they like that? Do they think they're better than everyone just cause they've attained middle class and live in gated housing communities? They aren't even that smart. They just speak English better than average. That's all. Nothing intellectual about them. They are not philosophical like you at all. So who do they think they are? It's like they have an inferiority complex.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

It's like they have an inferiority complex.
You're right on the money, Winston. Filipinos have a ton of self-hatred. They perceive everything foreign and Western as superior and better. They desperately want to get out of the economic hellhole of the Philippines and obtain a rich lifestyle they see all the time coming from American television. The Filipino is a failed social construct whose primary motive is to go to school, work corporate job, buy useless crap, get into so much CC debt, and then retire/die with all the accumulated junk they never used over the years. Intellectual honesty is not a important virtue to the Filipino. They are obsessed with celebrities and sports stars because they wish to be as rich and famous as they are. Even if they're living like poor vermin barely getting by.

Filipinos are very simple-minded and in terms of education on the international stage, are getting slaughtered by their Korean and Taiwanese counterparts.

My Bulgarian and Romanian friends ask me why Philippines is so f***ed up poor when the people are really cool and super hard working. It doesn't add up.

Even the contradictions baffle Winston Wu, and he knows Kung Fu. Goddamn I'm so poetic.[/quote]
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Have you noticed that once Filipinos become middle class, they act totally different? Very snobby and impatient and argumentative? Me and my friends noticed this. It's like they become snobs and start arguing about little things without valid reasons or arguments. Then when you destroy them with logic, reasons and facts, they have no come back.
Yes, they do have a come back- usually of the argumentum ad hominem type.
Why are they like that?
It is called class system and they are moving up to become members of the bourgeoisie and thus they act like the bourgouis now.

Do they think they're better than everyone just cause they've attained middle class and live in gated housing communities?
Yes
They aren't even that smart. They just speak English better than average. That's all. Nothing intellectual about them. They are not philosophical like you at all. So who do they think they are? It's like they have an inferiority complex.
ibid. Anyway, they may not appear smart to you, but they appear pretty smart to those who had no passed the exams and those who does not have a steady job. And they were not studying to become philosophers, but rather get a BA. BS, RN degrees so that they could join middle class. Think of how arrogant some doctors and lawyers act back home.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

philosophical_filipino wrote:
It's like they have an inferiority complex.
You're right on the money, Winston. Filipinos have a ton of self-hatred. They perceive everything foreign and Western as superior and better. They desperately want to get out of the economic hellhole of the Philippines and obtain a rich lifestyle they see all the time coming from American television. The Filipino is a failed social construct whose primary motive is to go to school, work corporate job, buy useless crap, get into so much CC debt, and then retire/die with all the accumulated junk they never used over the years. Intellectual honesty is not a important virtue to the Filipino. They are obsessed with celebrities and sports stars because they wish to be as rich and famous as they are. Even if they're living like poor vermin barely getting by.

Filipinos are very simple-minded and in terms of education on the international stage, are getting slaughtered by their Korean and Taiwanese counterparts.

My Bulgarian and Romanian friends ask me why Philippines is so f***ed up poor when the people are really cool and super hard working. It doesn't add up.

Even the contradictions baffle Winston Wu, and he knows Kung Fu. Goddamn I'm so poetic.
But I don't get something. If Filipinos idolize Western things, then how come most middle class Filipinos do not like to meet foreigners or socialize with them? Why do they only hang out with other Filipinos in their own little clique?

I agree that even though the slogan "Proud to be Pinoy" is everywhere, most Filipinos just pay lip service to it. It's not something they feel in their hearts.

What happens when you tell your views to your Filipino relatives? What do they say?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
philosophical_filipino
Freshman Poster

Post by philosophical_filipino »

What happens when you tell your views to your Filipino relatives? What do they say?
I don't tell them my real views. Asian society is all about harmony. You, Winston, of all people should know that. My mother has 8 sisters, and 4 brothers and they all live in Chicago. I have a ton of cousins and we roll like Filipino mafia. I love my extended family. It's a nice feeling to belong to something bigger than yourself. The old-school Filipino mentality is to honor your parents/stay loyal to your wife. I can respect these principled concepts since they hold more weight in integrity than most Western values.

Filipinos idolize Western things, while secretly self-loathing each other. It is hard to reconcile the contradictions, thus it leads to lots of self-hatred and confusion. The American-born Filipinos have more affinity to Western lifestyle. The FOBS are the ones who are fiercely proud of the Pinoy mantra, but are willing to abandon the Philippines due to the lack of economic opportunity. They will readily admit that.
"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the
suffering itself because no heart has ever suffered when it goes in
search of its dream." - Paulo Coelho

"Filipinos don't realize that victory is the child of struggle, that
joy blossoms from suffering, and redemption is a product of
sacrifice." - José Rizal
Jorge
Freshman Poster

Post by Jorge »

Winston wrote:philosophical filipino,

Why are they like that? Do they think they're better than everyone just cause they've attained middle class and live in gated housing communities? They aren't even that smart. They just speak English better than average. That's all. Nothing intellectual about them. They are not philosophical like you at all. So who do they think they are? It's like they have an inferiority complex.
i have filipino friends who were raised in america in a middle class family

he is the biggest douche i know. Has 20 pair of nike air jordans, is over-confident and cocky, and has that snobby attitude about him. Sadly, the only humble filipinos i know are the ones who are FOBs(fresh off the boat). they are more respectful.

americanized filipina girls are no different. Approach an americanized filipina girl vs a FOB filipina girl, the fob filipina girl is 15x more humble

it has a lot to do with the environment(growing up in america vs growing up in the philippines).
mlyip77
Freshman Poster

Post by mlyip77 »

Most chinese immigrants arrived in the Philippines with nothing more than a shirt on their backs...as labourers. How did they establish their power and dominance in the past 100 years?

Was a component of their success due to generations of hard work? Or was everything given to them?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check this out. This segment about "infant souls" in the Soul Ages video describes Filipino characteristics to a T doesn't it? Amazing!

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Interesting.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."