Teaching in China without Degree still available.

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
DarthXedonias
Freshman Poster

Teaching in China without Degree still available.

Post by DarthXedonias »

Thought I would mention this for others that might be interested. Even though most teaching jobs in China require a degree to get a employment Z visa, I have noticed that both public and private institutions are turning to getting Business visas for their teachers (which don't require a degree) when they are desperate for English Teachers. Granted, this seems to keep on happening due to the increase demand and many more qualified teachers choosing to skip China in order to go to Korea or Japan. An example of the postings I'm seeing regularly are:

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/china/index.cgi?read=54748

Seen a couple other ones like this. Though this one is a private institution I remember seeing others that were public. Were from mostly cities that don't get many foreigners, so they lack a lot of English teachers. Also seems like China really increased the pay and benefits from the last time I looked up jobs there years ago. Guess they are really trying to attract more native English speakers to take jobs in China. Either way, seems like you could save some decent money. Also, seems like for certain ones only thing you could really do besides getting a degree in order to look very appealing is probably get a TEFL certificate which you can easily get online (Which I'm doing currently). Also, I should mention that if anyone thinks about this they should probably be well prepared or be familiar with the way the Chinese do business from what I've heard. I've heard it isn't uncommon for many teachers in China to quit within the first 2 months of working there. Sometimes this has to do with conflicts with the educational manager. So that should probably be kept in mind. Either way, I think this might good for some people who might want to get there feet wet and then if it doesn't work out at least in China, after one year they could just move on to somewhere else.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Teaching in China without Degree still available.

Post by xiongmao »

Before doing this check that it's legal (it's probably not).

If you're found working on anything other than a work visa then things can be very grim.

Remember the Chinese will always blame foreigners for their problems.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 1st, 2018, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthXedonias
Freshman Poster

Post by DarthXedonias »

Ghost wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 12:48 pm
Lots of people still teach in China without a work (Z) visa. It is illegal, but outside of the tier one cities, you are generally safe because the police and government don't care much. I wouldn't teach illegally in Beijing though.
Thanks for the info. I'm currently still looking at this. My choices right now are to take this option to get out of the states or Teach online and then move to the Philippines. Apparently, they have increased the pay of teaching online to good levels so I think I could make an actual really good income while living in the Philippines. Either way, working on my TEFL certificate now and will hopefully be done with it by the end of the week then I will see what happens.

If I take the China Job though I'm thinking about either: Suzhou, Chongqing, or Dongguan (This one I'm considering because apparently females heavily outnumber males in this town). If either of you guys ( @Ghost @xiongmao ) have any info on these towns or any better suggestions I would very much appreciate it.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

I'm quite near Suzhou. But as I'd wrote earlier I'd be *extremely* careful. Last year my boss wouldn't let me take on a side contract with a school in the middle of nowhere during the vacation.

The trade war is getting ugly and foreigners WILL be blamed when unemployment soars and people start blaming the government.

Also there is hardly any *real* information about Chinese law online.

Maybe try Vietnam or the frontier country Myanmar instead?
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on December 1st, 2018, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarthXedonias
Freshman Poster

Post by DarthXedonias »

Ok, thanks guys for the info. I'm about 70% through my TEFL course now. I will be continuing my education on September 1st then will try to work through my degree as fast as I can. Going to try to get 1 course done every 3-4 days that way I can have it within 2-3 months hopefully. In the mean time I really have 3 options now: Go with the the Online job and move to the Philippines (while completing my degree), move to take a job in China (while completing my degree), or concentrate solely on finishing up my degree then teach English in the country of my choice. I'm thinking if I did the third option I would probably either go do work in Korea, Thailand (for food and women, possibly get a TEFL), or Japan (Though I don't think I would be able to save much).

@xiongmao Would you recommend Thailand at all? If I remember correctly you said you taught there for a bit. Would you recommend the women? My final destination is to do some real estate hotel type business in the Philippines but until I gain the wealth to do that is there any other Asian countries you would recommend as far as the quality of women go?
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

DarthXedonias wrote:
August 20th, 2018, 1:18 am
Would you recommend Thailand at all? If I remember correctly you said you taught there for a bit. Would you recommend the women? My final destination is to do some real estate hotel type business in the Philippines but until I gain the wealth to do that is there any other Asian countries you would recommend as far as the quality of women go?
Thailand has a great quality of life and life isn't taken as seriously as it is in China.

On the downside teaching salaries are much lower. You generally don't get a free apartment either.

The students are more unruly too.

It's not as cheap there as it was either - the Thai baht just keeps getting stronger.
tom
Junior Poster

Post by tom »

10 days into the trade war. Chinese Vice Premier Liu He sat down for dinner with U.S. trade chief Robert Lighthizer on Thursday night, with just seven hours to go before a dramatic spike in U.S. tariffs on Chinese goods was to take effect. An hour and a half later, Liu was gone, and the 10 percent duties on $200 billion of Chinese exports jumped to 25 percent a minute after midnight. China retaliates with $60 billion in tariffs. Liu and Lighthizer are meet again, but where things go from here is anyone’s guess. There’s no reason to think negotiations are dead in the water; neither side wants to bear the costs of a permanent trade war. It’s possible Beijing merely overplayed its hand by, at least according to the U.S., reneging on a slew of commitments it had made earlier and needs a minute to save face before recommitting. But if not, then it suggests Beijing is facing even tougher constraints at home than realized, and a deal is likely elusive. In the meantime, the jump to 25 percent tariffs will damage both economies, even if President Donald Trump never follows through on his repeated threat to slap tariffs on nearly all Chinese exports.

The China homefront. The course of the trade war was always going to be shaped largely by economic conditions in both the U.S. and China – and unexpected shocks to either system could prove pivotal. As we discussed recently, China is grappling with a strain of swine fever that may wipe out a massive chunk of its hog industry. This matters to the trade war because counter-tariffs targeting U.S. farmers have been one of the most potent retaliatory measures in Beijing’s toolbox. And if China needs to import more U.S. pork products, it loses this leverage. Earlier this week, a U.S. Department of Agriculture report claimed that China is also grappling with an infestation of armyworm, a crop-eating pest that affects soybeans – again, a major Chinese import from the U.S., and one Beijing has targeted with counter-duties in the past. This comes as Chinese data released Thursday showed a 2.5 percent annual increase in consumer price inflation in April, with food inflation jumping 6.1 percent, compared to 4.1 percent in March. And a sustained rise in inflation will give the Chinese Central Bank less room to maneuver to contain the fallout of the trade war and China’s myriad other economic woes.
משה בן יצחק