How many here get by through private english lessons?

Discuss working and making a living overseas, starting a business, or studying abroad.
mattyman
Junior Poster

How many here get by through private english lessons?

Post by mattyman »

I'm only asking because I'm really considering donig this myself in the near future. A mate of mine did private lessons in Madrid and Barcelona and got by perfectly well finance wise (he's using it as a way to save-up for to do his masters). The only things I'm a bit worried about would be the organisation parts, advertising, and that more tailoring of materials is needed. I also feel like it would be taking the plunge a bit, but would love to do.

If anyone here can share their experiences and challenges, offer advice, or maybe point me to further resources, that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Online teaching will yield $1200-1400 a month. You can live on that in a cheap country. With private students in a richer country it will take time to build up a clientele- but its mostly a part time thing.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
mguy
Junior Poster

Post by mguy »

If you go to to my blog, I put up an excel file of Philippine ESL schools. You could email bomb these schools for jobs by copy pasting the emails with your resume.

http://3rdworldhero.blogspot.com
"So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it."

Like to read?Third World Hero
Like to see?3WorldHero -- Did he really just do that?