Spareroom.co.uk Scams

Expose or warn others about scams and scammers, or shady business practices. Expose those that have cheated you or ripped you off. Caution: Before naming specific individuals or groups, make sure that they really wronged you and that there was no misunderstanding. Otherwise your post may constitute slander or libel if it contains false information.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Spareroom.co.uk Scams

Post by xiongmao »

Spareroom.co.uk is worth avoiding. I got a new job and tried to find a room for rent through the site. But all I got were shady people using one name, then telling me to phone a different name on a mobile number.

Also I paid quite a bit of money to see their latest ads, but when I tried to use their 100% moneyback guarantee, they refused my refund.

Be VERY careful with property rentals, as it's all too common for somebody to steal your deposit :oops:!

Hopefully I can get Trading Standards to investigate their business practices. The scamming is bad, but not honouring a moneyback guarantee is enough to get them fined.

My advice if you're looking for a cheap place to live: go look round town and find room vacant ads in local stores. That's how I found my new place, and it's fabulous :lol:. And the newsagent didn't charge me £19.99 to look at their ad either.

Got any more info on spareroom? Leave your reports below.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.