Does the media fabricate stories about cults?

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Does the media fabricate stories about cults?

Post by Winston »

Why does the media give every cult a bad rap and report horrible stories of murder associated with them? Does the media fabricate stories about cults? See this documentary about Scientology for example. A woman goes inside a Scientology building with a camera, but you never hear the Scientologists talk, only the broadcaster's summary of what happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD9bCdHq ... re=related

Usually though, when I visit the cult itself, most of what I heard about them doesn't come to pass.

For example, the media says that the Moonies, aka Unification Church, starved people at their retreat camps to inhibit their resistance and use mind control techniques. But when I went to their camp in the SF Bay Area in the late 90's, it was nothing like that. They fed me well with good food and treated me with respect. They did not push or manipulate me, and I was allowed to leave anytime I wanted, though they did teach me some bizarre theological theories without any evidence to back them up. So they are brainwashed in the sense that they believe weird things that have no proof, just because someone tells them it's the "truth". But I was not subject to any pressure or manipulation control techniques, contrary to what the media says.

I think these media stories are made to sell books and stories. Any other experiences with cults?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here's a response to this question I received from the ScientologyMyths website:

"Hi,

sorry for the delayed answer! Why is media reporting badly, biased, outright false about religious minorities (I prefer that term over "cults")? Because most minorities do not have the means and amount of allies needed to fight back. Because a "good story" these days has to have harm and "horror" in it and as the majority of the readers usually does not know the truth they can just claim anything. It is great that you went to find out yourself. Unfortunately this seems to be the only way left to find out something.

- Louanne"
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
BeneGesseritBrother
Freshman Poster

Post by BeneGesseritBrother »

This is one of COUNTLESS instances which show the media as a sanitizing tool of the status quo.

We must never be allowed to have true freedom of thought if the current elites are to remain in control.