King James was not Catholic

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
Neo
Junior Poster

King James was not Catholic

Post by Neo »

King James was not Catholic, neither did he support them.

In a book he wrote to his son instructing him how to act as a king, he wrote clearly: "I am no Papist."
[Basil-14] THE POLITICAL WORKS OF JAMES I

As for salvation, it is by faith, or believing:

"that since we could not be saued by doing, we might at least, bee saued by beleeuing." Translation: that since we could not be saved by doing, we might at least be saved by believing. [Basil-14] THE POLITICAL WORKS OF JAMES I

Source: James I. Basilikon Doron or His Majesties Instrvctions To His Dearest Sonne, Henry the Prince. http://www.stoics.com/basilikon_doron.html
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: King James was not Catholic

Post by Winston »

Well of course. Everyone knows that. He persecuted Catholics and broke his promises to them. That's why they tried to assassinate him in that bomb plot with Guy Fawkes remember? King James saved the day before the gunpower barrels could blow up the Parliament building, and was considered a hero. Some think that might have been a false flag to elevate King James and get rid of the Catholics once and for all.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Winston wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:11 am
Well of course. Everyone knows that. He persecuted Catholics and broke his promises to them.
There are Catholics who believe King James was Catholic.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Neo wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:32 am
Winston wrote:
Well of course. Everyone knows that. He persecuted Catholics and broke his promises to them.
On what basis? What did he ever do to help Catholics? All he did was persecute them and break his promises to them.

Why didn't he just let everyone believe in whatever church they want, like the government in England does today?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Winston wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 10:32 am
Neo wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 9:32 am
Winston wrote:
On what basis? What did he ever do to help Catholics? All he did was persecute them and break his promises to them.

Why didn't he just let everyone believe in whatever church they want, like the government in England does today?
For some reason, Catholicism promotes some very damaging beliefs, such as Peter being the first Pope, the Pope being infallible (even when Paul openly rebuked Peter), that there isn't salvation outside of the Catholic church, that statues are acceptable to God, that praying to anyone other than God is acceptable, that Mary is the mediator between God and men, that sacraments and people's own works get them saved, that pastors are to be unmarried and celibate and called by Father which is a name reserved for God only when it comes to religious faith, and a whole bunch more. Some Catholics also believe that King James was a Catholic.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Isn't he famous for commenting after the gunpowder plot had been exposed that "We dunee need the papists now."? Obviously not a Catholic. Of course some of his descendants were Catholics.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Winston wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 10:32 am
Because such beliefs impinge on government and society. For example, the Pope declared it the religious duty of loyal Catholics to oppose Queen Elizabeth I, which kind of makes those who continued to practise Catholicism in England traitors to the Queen.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Catholic or not, the Christian "god" has become nothing more than this these days.
[youtube][/youtube]
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I have a lot of Christians on my Facebook timeline who are absolutely obessed with the King James version of the Bible being the "One, True, Superior translation" of the Word of the Lord. They endlessly go on and on about it, it's quite tiresome. If it turns out King James was actually Catholic (doubtful AF, but still) it would be very, very entertaining to see the reactions of certain people. Especially Protestants, Evangelicals... a lot of horses in this race.

Me, I couldn't care less if he was Catholic, Protestant, Anglican, a devil worshipper or a Muslim. Just another long dead King whose name somehow got connected to a very influential Bible translation.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 2:38 pm
I have a lot of Christians on my Facebook timeline who are absolutely obessed with the King James version of the Bible being the "One, True, Superior translation" of the Word of the Lord. They endlessly go on and on about it, it's quite tiresome. If it turns out King James was actually Catholic (doubtful AF, but still) it would be very, very entertaining to see the reactions of certain people. Especially Protestants, Evangelicals... a lot of horses in this race.
The King James is the best Bible in English. When reading the other bibles, things just don't always make sense to me. Besides that, this version is poetry, similar to Shakespeare. So the other versions aren't as sweet to the ear. I have zero doubts about it. May take a thesaurus and dictionary for some ancient words though.

Here's a documentary on the differences between Bible versions:

MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Neo wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 3:28 pm
The King James is the best Bible in English. When reading the other bibles, things just don't always make sense to me. Besides that, this version is poetry, similar to Shakespeare. So the other versions aren't as sweet to the ear. I have zero doubts about it. May take a thesaurus and dictionary for some ancient words though.

Here's a documentary on the differences between Bible versions:

I do agree the King James version sounds better 9 out of 10 times, for sure.

But I would find it honestly hilarious if it turned out the good king was actually Catholic. I mean he persecuted them so unlikely, but so many high strung arrogant Protestants and Evangelicals would throw a hissy fit over it, it would be nice to see. :lol:
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 3:35 pm
if it turned out the good king was actually Catholic.
The perplexing thing, is that the KJV opposes Catholicism on many different fronts. Catholicism likes statues and graven images, priests with long robes, forbidding priests to marry, commands to abstain from meat on Fridays, calling priests "Father", etc., but the KJV states it plainly that those things are ungodly. So it can't be Catholic. Catholicism has another Bible which agrees with its practices.
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

Neo wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 3:46 pm
The perplexing thing, is that the KJV opposes Catholicism on many different fronts. Catholicism likes statues and graven images, priests with long robes, forbidding priests to marry, commands to abstain from meat on Fridays, calling priests "Father", etc., but the KJV states it plainly that those things are ungodly. So it can't be Catholic. Catholicism has another Bible which they use which agrees with their practices.
Nah it's all the same Bible. All these arguments among different Christian factions are not very different from fans of a work of fiction like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones arguing over which character is best or most deserving of victory.

And I like the whole 'salvation through works' thing. So many Evangelicals seem to think all you need to do is pray, believe in Christ and pay 10% of your monthly income as 'tithe' to the Church so your pastor can ride a fat car and pay for his mansions and mistresses, meanwhile those are the same people calling out the Vatican for being corrupt. Pot, meet kettle.
Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

MarcosZeitola wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Neo wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 3:46 pm
The perplexing thing, is that the KJV opposes Catholicism on many different fronts. Catholicism likes statues and graven images, priests with long robes, forbidding priests to marry, commands to abstain from meat on Fridays, calling priests "Father", etc., but the KJV states it plainly that those things are ungodly. So it can't be Catholic. Catholicism has another Bible which they use which agrees with their practices.
Nah it's all the same Bible. All these arguments among different Christian factions are not very different from fans of a work of fiction like Harry Potter or Game of Thrones arguing over which character is best or most deserving of victory.

And I like the whole 'salvation through works' thing. So many Evangelicals seem to think all you need to do is pray, believe in Christ and pay 10% of your monthly income as 'tithe' to the Church so your pastor can ride a fat car and pay for his mansions and mistresses, meanwhile those are the same people calling out the Vatican for being corrupt. Pot, meet kettle.
If salvation is through works, then nobody gets to heaven, because only God in the flesh can be saved by works, but I leave that to your faith.