Psalm 94

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Psalm 94

Post by fschmidt »

God of vengeance, Yehovah, God of vengeance, show yourself. Rise up, judge of the earth, repay the proud. How long will the wicked, Yehovah, how long will the wicked rejoice and spout arrogance? All the doers of evil crush your people, Yehovah, and defile your inheritance. Will a destructive government that makes trouble by law be joined to you? They band together against righteous souls and condemn innocent blood. But Yehovah is my stronghold and my god is the rock of my refuge. And he will bring on them their wickedness, and for their evil he will destroy them, Yehovah, our god, will destroy them.
-- Psalm 94:1-5,20-23

Just translated by me while listening to The Doors.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Psalm 94

Post by MrMan »

That is an extremely odd translation of the sacred name. You do know, don't you, that the vowel pointings under the tetragrammaton are for Adonai, which is why they don't fit the normal pattern?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

MrMan wrote:That is an extremely odd translation of the sacred name. You do know, don't you, that the vowel pointings under the tetragrammaton are for Adonai, which is why they don't fit the normal pattern?
The 2 most popular pronounciations are Yahweh and Yehovah. I don't think it matters much which one you choose.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

fschmidt wrote:
MrMan wrote:That is an extremely odd translation of the sacred name. You do know, don't you, that the vowel pointings under the tetragrammaton are for Adonai, which is why they don't fit the normal pattern?
The 2 most popular pronounciations are Yahweh and Yehovah. I don't think it matters much which one you choose.
I hear the American pronunciation. Do Europeans say the latter with a Yodh sound.

The later pronunciation was made up by an Italian monk who probably did not understand how the vowel pointing system worked. You see how it doesn't fit with the vowel pointing, right?
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

Yahweh is a fierce war god that looks after the interests of his tribe. Ask the greeks what it is like to insult Yahweh. Europeans need to reclaim their identity and turn back to Odin. Odinism is now an officially recognized religion in Iceland. Countries ruled by Odin have very low crime rates.

http://bigthink.com/ideafeed/iceland-to ... gods-again

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”