Putting off the Most Important Thing

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Putting off the Most Important Thing

Post by MrMan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
MrMan wrote:Contrarian Expat,

Maybe you should ask yourself why Christians and their message bother you so much. Also, why would you consider that anger-filled diatribe from the guy who hated the street preacher to be worth posting.
This is not a question of Christians bothering me personally. It is a question of the negative role religious faith plays in the world and in suspending peoples' thinking processes. Trying to make this about ME trivializes the issue when it is larger than you can imagine.
I saw a clip of Jewish man, an academic in some field, history I think, commenting on Christianity, including medieval Christianity. He acknowledged that Christianity brought a more peaceful, ordered society. Consider the track record over the past few hundred years or so of what happens when atheists run governments. They slaughter multitudes of innocent people. We see this in the French Revolution, with the Russians and Chinese. We could look at other religions, like how Hindu-dominated India used to kill widows or pressure them to die. The Norse used to sacrifice people, also. Look at the middle east.

Honestly, I'm not very impressed with your thinking process on this issue. You keep posting emotional videos, not well-reasoned ones, like the angry man who hated the street preacher. Who wants to be around someone fuming like that? You seem to be obsessed with emotional reasons rather than logical ones. There are plenty of scientific reasons from the field of physics, for example, to believe in God. Some astrophysicists have resorted to elaborate sci-fi explanations that have no evidence to back them up, like the idea of a comic book multiverse, to explain away the evidence for design in the universe.
Christianity is evil in that is acknowledges that god grants everyone free will, but it strays into the realm of great evil by trying to scare people (not me) into thinking if they dare to exercise their free will away from Christianity, they will burn in tortuous hell among the red demons piercing their flesh with pitchforks. Really? How dare you preach this filth to children and gullible adults?
Warning people of the judgment to come is a good thing to do. You've also got your facts wrong. The idea of red demons with pitch forks is something found in pop culture, not a belief found in the Bible, and I've never heard of a theologian promoting the idea. It's something you saw on a can of ham and you think Christians believe in it. Christians have different ideas about free will, but belief in free will and that those who choose to sin and rebel against God get punished for their sin is neither illogical or anything you should get angry about. Something else about this idea that you might be punished if you do not reconcile with God bothers you, for some reason.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt. They have done abominable works.

It just makes me wonder what is the abominable disgusting filthiness which they prefer to indulge in rather than believe in Christ. These are also the people who believe they are gods (on an unconscious or conscious level, there is no limit to what they'll do to hurt others and they think they are perfect and blameless creatures).
Last edited by Adama on December 31st, 2017, 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

MrMan wrote:
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
MrMan wrote:Contrarian Expat,

Maybe you should ask yourself why Christians and their message bother you so much. Also, why would you consider that anger-filled diatribe from the guy who hated the street preacher to be worth posting.
This is not a question of Christians bothering me personally. It is a question of the negative role religious faith plays in the world and in suspending peoples' thinking processes. Trying to make this about ME trivializes the issue when it is larger than you can imagine.
Honestly, I'm not very impressed with your thinking process on this issue. You keep posting emotional videos, not well-reasoned ones, like the angry man who hated the street preacher. Who wants to be around someone fuming like that? You seem to be obsessed with emotional reasons rather than logical ones.
I hope you don't take this personally, but you simply are not equipped to UNDERSTAND the logic and the reasoning in the videos that brighter people see immediately, so you simply dismiss it like a petulant child who won't accept that Santa Claus is not real. I'm not sure why that is, but it is very apparent with you in particular.

What I do get is it is very difficult for anyone to accept truth when you been programmed all your life to accept falsities. Ego and cognitive dissonance get in the way. That much is clear with your issues in all this.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Contrarian expats,

You've posted a couple of angry videos. They don't rely on logic. The actor interview video was mainly an appeal to emotion.

I'm secure about my intellect. I've got advanced degrees. I've had training in social science research methods as well. This isn't an issue of IQ. You think religious people have been programmed to accept certain things as true. But your ideas aren't nuetral. You think as you do because of a number of outside influences, and philosophies.

From some of your previous posts, I would guess that you've accepted the LGBT philosophy that people fall into 'gay' and 'straight' categories and that it is a part of their identity.

I heard the gospel and believed it. Since, I have seen plenty of evidence for the existence of God. Of course there is creation, but I've seen other things, like extremely specific prayers answered in great detail, witnessing people receiving supernatural knowledge of things and experiencing this myself, witnessing supernatural healing. There is no rational evidence against the existence of God. It is likely that you also have no evidence for whatever opinion you hold about the person of Jesus. You believe what you want to because you want to believe it. Christianity makes you upset. It doesn't fit with how you think the world ought to work. But there is no reason for you to think the world ought to work that way.

If the universe were merely molecules bumping around, there would be no reason to consider anything immoral. What's immoral about molecules bumping around in one sequence (resulting in millions of deaths) versus another sequence? It wouldn't matter. If you considered religion to be a mere superstition, there would be no reason to oppose it, if it served a biological or social function in people's lives. But there is more to it than that. There is right and wrong. There is also a God. And you do not like the idea that you will be held accountable to Him.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Contrarian expats,

You've posted a couple of angry videos. They don't rely on logic. The actor interview video was mainly an appeal to emotion.

I'm secure about my intellect. I've got advanced degrees. I've had training in social science research methods as well. This isn't an issue of IQ. You think religious people have been programmed to accept certain things as true. But your ideas aren't nuetral. You think as you do because of a number of outside influences, and philosophies.

From some of your previous posts, I would guess that you've accepted the LGBT philosophy that people fall into 'gay' and 'straight' categories and that it is a part of their identity.

I heard the gospel and believed it. Since, I have seen plenty of evidence for the existence of God. Of course there is creation, but I've seen other things, like extremely specific prayers answered in great detail, witnessing people receiving supernatural knowledge of things and experiencing this myself, witnessing supernatural healing. There is no rational evidence against the existence of God. It is likely that you also have no evidence for whatever opinion you hold about the person of Jesus. You believe what you want to because you want to believe it. Christianity makes you upset. It doesn't fit with how you think the world ought to work. But there is no reason for you to think the world ought to work that way.

If the universe were merely molecules bumping around, there would be no reason to consider anything immoral. What's immoral about molecules bumping around in one sequence (resulting in millions of deaths) versus another sequence? It wouldn't matter. If you considered religion to be a mere superstition, there would be no reason to oppose it, if it served a biological or social function in people's lives. But there is more to it than that. There is right and wrong. There is also a God. And you do not like the idea that you will be held accountable to Him.