An intelligent Christian

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

An intelligent Christian

Post by fschmidt »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75AhGD3 ... A1CA18558A

In spite of the impression given by Christians on this forum, not all Christians are morons.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Re: An intelligent Christian

Post by Eric »

Ah, the misanthropic Grinch is back ; ).
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iW3xlmdYmo[/youtube]

Here's another one!
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

fschmidt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75AhGD3 ... A1CA18558A

In spite of the impression given by Christians on this forum, not all Christians are morons.
True but religions tend to appeal to people who need religious faith to explain or justify things that they cannot do for themselves.

There is an inverse relationship between religiosity and intelligence and or educational level. As one goes up, the other goes down demographically.

To be a freethinker, one needs to divorce himself of religious dogma.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
fschmidt wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75AhGD3 ... A1CA18558A

True but religions tend to appeal to people who need religious faith to explain or justify things that they cannot do for themselves.

There is an inverse relationship between religiosity and intelligence and or educational level. As one goes up, the other goes down demographically.

To be a freethinker, one needs to divorce himself of religious dogma.
Correlation does not prove causation. Some of the most brilliant thinkers in history were Christians.

From the early days of Christianity, not many noble, and not many wise men after the flesh were called. There were a large number of widows and slaves in the churches. There were fewer Christians among the Jewish elite and among the philosophers who sat around debating about ideas, some of which we would consider quite foolish today.

Being a 'freethinker' doesn't make one more intelligent than anyone else, and it doesn't make one right.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:There is an inverse relationship between religiosity and intelligence and or educational level.
Really, throughout most of history the smartest men have been clerics. These days many "educated" people are brainwashed with the religion of political correctness, which unlike Christianity is provably absurd.
Man With a Plan
Freshman Poster

Post by Man With a Plan »

Religion is a waste of time. There are few that I know about even worth a second glance. Theists don't seem too bright. Religion offers hope, and a means of something to fight for, for the individuals who need their convictions to come ready-made.

If you stand for nothing you'll fall for anything.
BACK IN IT! || Happier Abroad Discord Server now open!

Knowledge Seeker | Sleeping Revolutionary | Lone Wolf
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Man With a Plan wrote:Religion is a waste of time.
Responding to secular people is a waste of time (of which I am here guilty) since they are complete morons.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Man With a Plan wrote:Religion is a waste of time. There are few that I know about even worth a second glance. Theists don't seem too bright. Religion offers hope, and a means of something to fight for, for the individuals who need their convictions to come ready-made.

The trouble is that if you don't have anything outside yourself to unite with others to fight for, you end up being selfish jerks like most people in the West, and so your united and cohesive enemies, such as the Jewish/bankster establishment, can pick you off one by one. Lack of a unifying religion is societal suicide.
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

Cornfed wrote:
Man With a Plan wrote:Religion is a waste of time. There are few that I know about even worth a second glance. Theists don't seem too bright. Religion offers hope, and a means of something to fight for, for the individuals who need their convictions to come ready-made.

The trouble is that if you don't have anything outside yourself to unite with others to fight for, you end up being selfish jerks like most people in the West, and so your united and cohesive enemies, such as the Jewish/bankster establishment, can pick you off one by one. Lack of a unifying religion is societal suicide.

Or you end up insane and with no point of reference. However, this religion fschmidt talks about interests me. I'm interested in the details of any religion that permits lying, cheating and stealing to "the other guy", on that opposite side of the fence. I'm curious about that. What kind of ethics are those?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Eric wrote:Or you end up insane and with no point of reference. However, this religion fschmidt talks about interests me. I'm interested in the details of any religion that permits lying, cheating and stealing to "the other guy", on that opposite side of the fence. I'm curious about that. What kind of ethics are those?
As I understand it, Old Testament religion does not take the position that you can screw over anyone not of your tribe, which is the Talmudic Jewish position.

The position is:
1. Look after members of you group, unless their behavior becomes really egregious, in which case expel them from your group.
2. Don't screw over non-scum people who are not members of your group. Help them or not; whatever it to your advantage.
3. Do whatever you like to scum or members of groups where essentially everyone is scum, including screwing them over where it is in your interests.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

MrMan wrote: Being a 'freethinker' doesn't make one more intelligent than anyone else, and it doesn't make one right.
I would tend to disagree. The very fact that freethinkers rely on rationality and evidence to come to their conclusions render them, per se, smarter than people who do not, ie religious thinkers. Freethinker can, of course, be wrong but there is a self-correcting element to their way of thinking as opposed to religious types.

Religious thinkers need their holy books and clerics to do their thinking for them. That disqualifies them from high intelligence per se.

Are there religious thinkers of high intelligence? Of course, but they tend to be only loosely guided by religious dictates.

I was not criticizing Christianity specifically, but since it was brought up, I have to mention the fact that most Christians still falsely believe in creationism instead of evolution even though the science has long shut the door on creationism. The fact that creationism is the explanation in the bible renders them unable to fathom that it is not true. Bottom line is, if you believe in creationism versus evolution, you are an unmitigated fool (the gavel bangs!)
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Cornfed wrote: Lack of a unifying religion is societal suicide.
Nonsense.... The term unifying religion is an oxymoron. Religions fight among themselves and often split up into violent factions. The Catholic Church split in two during the Great Schism, and the spinoff Orthodox church split into regional fiefdoms.

Then the remaining Roman Catholic Church had the Protestant movement split away into scores of different denominations.

Islam is fighting itself between the Sunnis and the Shias, but there are also Sufis, Wahabbis, and other subgroups in the fray.

Jews split away from Orthodox to become the Conservative faction. Then the Reform faction broke away still. Reconstructionists came about at some point, and them some Jews decided to become Christians, hence the Messianic Jewish movement came into being.

There is nothing unifying about religion if you view it in an historical context. It is one of the most divisive characteristics known to society and man!
Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

You shall not charge interest on loans to your brother, interest on money, interest on food, interest on anything that is lent for interest. You may charge a foreigner interest, but you may not charge your brother interest, that the Lord your God may bless you in all that you undertake in the land that you are entering to take possession of it.

Deuteronomy 23:19 ESV /

It seems there are a dozen other quotes on usury saying do it/ don't do it. So...there is no unifying message on it. The OT is a mish mosh of different texts saying contradictory things on the matter. Leaving it up to you to do what you want of course. But the wily Jew mind will come up with a loophole, trust assuredly.
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Newsflash

Old Testament

Exodus 20:15

"Thou Shall Not Steal"