Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


The Truth Behind Islam

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Misko_Varesanovic
Freshman Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: March 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Misko_Varesanovic » November 5th, 2017, 1:48 am

Adama wrote:
Misko_Varesanovic wrote:
Adama wrote:There are a few things I can name which need to be wiped from the face of the earth immediately:

1. Fractional Reserve Banking.
2. Usury.
3. Zionism.
4. Feminism.
5. Islam.

The world would be an infinitely better place without these five things.
This is absolutely priceless. Number 5 is categorically opposed to 1 and 2, and has serious reservations about 3 and 4.

And yet you claim what is potentially your best ally should be eradicated. No wonder you guys are in trouble.

Well at first glace you might think that because Islam is opposed to feminism that Islam is therefore a friend to mankind. But that conclusion doesn't necessarily follow. Islam is pure bondage at best. There is no sense in destroying feminism to be placed under the yoke of Islam. Christianity is also against those things, but it doesn't put us under grievous bondage, and neither is it a false gospel for a false god.
Actually, whether Islam is against feminism is a bit of a moot point; it's not as black and white as some claim, partly because 'feminism' as a term is generally appallingly badly defined. For example, if you think that Islam is against women having property rights or voting, then I'm afraid that you're going to be sorely disappointed. Remember, plenty of Muslim-majority countries, even in the spiritually-degraded 20th and 21st centuries, have had elected women heads of state, while the US has never had a female president.

However, Islam is an essentialist religion. This means that it does believe that men and women are fundamentally different and have generally different social roles which overlap relatively rarely. It also teaches that men should exude masculinity, and women femininity.

Re: Christianity, I'm going to surprise you here: I would love for you to be right. I would love for it to be the case that a spiritually and socially fertile Christianity could take on society's basic structural injustices and win.

The problem is that Christian structures are in bed with the perpetrators of said injustices. Take the Roman Catholic Church, for instance: this is far and away the largest Christian denomination on Earth, with over 1bn adherents. Well, what do we see? It is up to its neck in child abuse and banking scandals. These scandals run incredibly deep and practically everyone above a certain level is implicated. Meanwhile, its congregation is seriously divided on issues such as same-sex marriage, abortion and divorce. Only a small percentage of Catholics obey their church's teachings on marriage and the sanctity of chastity before marriage. Given all this, does a Christian renaissance seem likely to you?

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Adama » November 5th, 2017, 2:20 am

Once again, Catholicism is not Christianity. Catholicism is about the Catholic church, and the veneration of the Pope, Mary, the saints, statues, and sacraments. All of this is foreign to real Christians.

For example, Catholics pray to Mary or the "saints." Christians pray to God in the name of Christ.
In Catholicism only certain important Catholics get to be saints. In Christianity, every believer is a saint, sanctified by God.
In Catholicism Mary is the intermediator between God and men. In Christianity, Christ is the mediator.
In Catholicism belief + completion of sacraments is needed to gain eternal life (and some say salvation is through the Catholic church and not through Christ). In Christianity, salvation is by faith alone.
Catholicism says priests can't marry. Christianity says the pastor had better be married.
You will not see statues in a real Christian church, because that's idolatry, yet Catholics do it.
You will not see priests wearing long robes in a real Christian church. You will see this in the Catholic.

And the differences between this religion which is posing as Christianity and the real Christianity go on and on and on.

Christians know that homosexuality is wrong without question; that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that abortion is murder, because they believe God's Word, not the pope. Catholicism is a worldly religion that is not faithful to God but to the words of the pope. He is the king of kings instead of Christ and it's his word they obey, not God's.

But if true Christianity were applied, as per the King James Bible, Textus Receptus, then we would not have feminism, usury, homosexuals, or false religions.

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2926
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Yohan » November 5th, 2017, 4:31 am

Misko_Varesanovic wrote: What you are deliberately ignoring is that religious violence is a problem in many contemporary Asian societies. And the fact remains that in much of Asia, being a Muslim or a Christian in a Buddhist-majority country is far worse than being a Buddhist or a Christian in a Muslim-majority country...
This statement is absolutely not true.

You are deliberately mixing up Muslim/Christian vs. Buddhists.

You better single out Islam vs. all other religions. Muslim immigrants are nowhere welcome - because of their aggressive and often illegal behavior in countries which majority is following another religion.

However about Christians I see no problem here in Japan with Christians at all, and same is true in South Korea and in Taiwan. Also Christians do not report any problems in Thailand.

I also never noticed about any problem between Christians and the tiny community of Buddhists/Taoists in Philippines.

Where do you live? I am from Europe but living in Asia since over 40 years, most time in Japan, Philippines and Thailand, but visited other countries in Asia as well of course.

The danger to be attacked because of your religion is solely coming out from Islam and from nowhere else. Of course also for the displeasure of some 'moderate' Muslim countries, for example Malaysia.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/internatio ... 616007.ece
UPDATED: SEPTEMBER 22, 2016 16:08 IST
Malaysian police said Wednesday they had foiled possible attacks on the eve of the country’s Independence Day with the detention of three suspected Islamic State (IS) members.
National police chief Khalid Abu Bakar said the three men had planned to attack entertainment centres in Kuala Lumpur, a Hindu temple in Batu caves that is also a popular tourist destination and police stations with grenades or firearms on Tuesday.
Mr. Khalid said the men had received orders to launch attacks from Muhammad Wanndy Muhammad Jedi, a Malaysian fighting with the IS in Syria.
About Myanmar, I see no reason why this poor Buddhist country should accept illegal Rohingya immigrants in large numbers. These people by religion and ethnicity and language belong clearly to Bangladesh. However Islamic Bangladesh also does not want to receive its Muslim Rohingya brothers and sisters for various but good reason. If a Muslim country does not accept Muslims, why should a Buddhist country accept them? Please explain...

Same with Sri Lanka, this little island is not a Muslim place, what happens there is self defense, similar to Myanmar to survive as a Buddhist country.
Also Thailand is fighting against Muslims, mostly in the South. It became so dangerous there around 2005, that I moved our holiday home near Songkhla for me and my family away to Pattaya, near Bangkok, where we are safe.

Same is with Christians in the Philippines, how can you ignore what happens in the South of this island-nation? Entire cities are destroyed by Muslim insurgents.

I don't know about Buddhists and Christians who join organizations which are planting bombs or kidnapping tourists out of hotels, demanding ransom or beheading them. Only Muslims are doing that.

In general I do not understand why Muslims want to live in Western countries in Europe or in USA among all these pagans and infidels who do not want to live with them next door. Why do they not stay or move on to a Muslim country?

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2926
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Yohan » November 5th, 2017, 4:58 am

Misko_Varesanovic wrote: http://www.newsweek.com/bethlehem-easte ... ans-584908
Bethlehem is Struggling to Protect the Church of the Nativity
'The woman who holds the key didn’t want to talk.
'She goes by A’abla, and she’s a member of a Muslim family entrusted with the key to the church in Bethlehem, the West Bank city where Christians believe Jesus was born.'
I wonder why she does not want to talk....

The link you gave speaks for itself. See one certain picture and read some short text...
Nobody feels safe there....
Look past those pastures, however, and the city is surrounded by Israeli settlements with their white walls and red-tile roofs, their gun turrets and coils of barbed wire.
Extremist views ignore that history, and they ignore the living proof of Palestinian Christians and Muslims who live together in harmony today.
This place, called Bethlehem, is truly a combat zone and Christian activity in such places like Bethlehem and Jerusalem etc. is only possible with the protection of Israeli soldiers and Israeli border police carrying machine guns.

To call this situation 'to live together in harmony' because you show people around you a machine gun is an oxymoron.

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2926
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Yohan » November 5th, 2017, 6:40 am

Adama wrote:Once again, Catholicism is not Christianity. Catholicism is about the Catholic church...
Honestly, Adama, I do not care at all if there are Catholics or Christians or if there are Catholic Christians etc. etc.

However I care a lot in this year of 2017, if I feel safe today in various countries and as you know, I am an immigrant too - however a legal immigrant - coming from Europe and moving to Asia.

I can say, that nowhere in this world I know about any Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Taoist etc. etc. who is threatening anybody with arson, murder and slavery because this other person is a follower of another religion.

Such ideology and extremist views you can nowadays only find in Islam.
Misko_Varesanovic
What some Salafist cleric may or may not say does not change what the Islamic religion itself says.
Of course, I am also aware that not every Muslim man will attack a girl of other religion, rapes her and when she is pregnant and gives birth to a girl, he will marry their daughter later on or sell her to others for marriage as a newborn.

I wonder, nowhere mentioned, what will happen if the newborn is a boy.

The real problem is however that such Muslim clerics have millions of followers who will do what they teach to them.

I do not read any critics from you towards these crazy Muftis or Imams. You do not really disagree with them.
What you write is something like 'be tolerant to them, let them talk, don't care what they teach' - what else can you say as an Islam-apologist. Muslims remain silent and do not insist that these crazy clerics should be dishonorably discharged from their religious universities where they teach about Islam. - So of course they continue to teach such absurd personal opinion again and again, even strengthen their position.

These Muftis and Imams are not ordinary Muslim people, who are often poor and uneducated - they are high educated Islamic clerics in religious universities and speak several languages - they are holding clearly some influence and power position over their followers - and this is what they teach to them and claiming it is the correct interpretation from something out of the Quran.

What can you do about? Nothing I guess. If you talk back to them openly in any Muslim country you might likely face blasphemy charges as an infidel, but if you are a Muslim and dare to say I disagree with that nonsense, bye... the Muslim cleric will report you for insulting the Quran and you will face life-threatening apostasy charges...

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2926
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Yohan » November 5th, 2017, 7:04 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/saudi-arabia ... 10247.html

Saudi Arabia has also recently its internal problems...

I would not be surprised, if I see all these arrested guys as political refugees living among infidels in the future, still the safer place on earth, even for Muslims...

At least they all have money and will not bother Western countries living of benefits....
Riyadh (AFP) - Saudi Arabia arrested 11 princes, including a prominent billionaire, and dozens of current and former ministers, reports said, in a sweeping crackdown as the kingdom's young crown prince consolidates power.

Separately, the head of the Saudi National Guard, once a leading contender to the throne, as well as the navy chief and the economy minister were replaced in a series of high-profile sackings that sent shock waves in the kingdom.

The crackdown was reported immediately after a new anti-corruption commission, headed by powerful Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, was established by royal decree late Saturday.

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television reported that the princes, four current and dozens of former ministers were arrested as the commission launched a probe into old cases such as floods that devastated the Red Sea city of Jeddah in 2009.

State-run Saudi Press Agency said the commission's goal was to "preserve public money, punish corrupt people and those who exploit their positions".

Saudi billionaire Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal was among those arrested, Saudi news websites said though there was no official confirmation. The prince was not reachable for comment.

An aviation source told AFP that security forces had grounded private jets in Jeddah, possibly to prevent any high-profile figures from leaving.

Meanwhile, the kingdom's top council of clerics tweeted that anti-corruption efforts were "as important as the fight against terrorism", essentially giving religious backing to the crackdown.

MrPeabody
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1457
Joined: April 13th, 2008, 7:53 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by MrPeabody » November 5th, 2017, 8:58 am

Yohan wrote:
MrPeabody wrote: No need to separate. Muslims and Hindus love each other.
What nonsense is this? Are you dreaming? Hindu and Muslim are fighting against each other in India all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious ... e_in_India

A report about one of the worst Hindu-Muslim riots in 1989
http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/28/world ... hting.html

Hundreds flee homes in northern India following Hindu-Muslim clashes
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... 52568f0a79
NEW DELHI — Hundreds of villagers fled their homes in the northern Indian state of Uttar Pradesh on Tuesday after three days of bloody sectarian clashes left at least 38 people dead and dozens wounded, including small children.

The fighting between Hindus and Muslims in the area, the worst in years, was sparked by a violent dispute between two families of different faiths last month, authorities said.....
You need to study Indian history more. Ihan Abdul Ghattar Khan was a Muslim leader and friend of Gandhi. He opposed partition. His movement was suppressed by the British. The British always made sure the bad guys win. When you look at the roots, it is politics and usually Western imperial interference, that is the real cause of violence.


"Khān Abdul Ghaffār Khān (6 February 1890 – 20 January 1988) (Pashto: خان عبدالغفار خان‎), nicknamed Bādshāh Khān or Bāchā Khān (Pashto: باچا خان, lit. "king of chiefs"), was a Pashtun independence activist against the rule of the British Raj. He was a political and spiritual leader known for his nonviolent opposition, and a lifelong pacifist and devout Muslim.[1] A close friend of Mohandas Gandhi, Bacha Khan was nicknamed the "Frontier Gandhi" in British India.[2] Bacha Khan founded the Khudai Khidmatgar ("Servants of God") movement in 1929, whose success triggered a harsh crackdown by the British Raj against him and his supporters, and they suffered some of the most severe repression of the Indian independence movement.[3]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_Khan

User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 6207
Joined: August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Adama » November 5th, 2017, 12:30 pm

I know that, Yohan. I am just saying. People are always mentioning the bad things that some Catholic priests do and the fact that Catholicism has sold out to evil, and then attributing that to Christianity.

I am just telling them, although Catholics are often good people, Catholicism itself has very little to do with Christianity. These poor Catholics are deceived because the Catholic church is the one that gained power, but it has nothing to do with Christ or God, and they do not adhere to God's Word. That church is a diversion from the truth, just like Islam, although a much more peaceable false doctrine.

Yohan, Catholicism has sold out to feminism. That's why I remind everyone. Catholicism is NOT Christianity. It is a poor imitation at best. Catholicism is just pomp and pageantry really.

Catholics are easier to get saved than Muslims because they haven't denied the divinity of Christ, which the Muslims do, but it is still a false religion.

xtravel
Freshman Poster
Posts: 93
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by xtravel » November 7th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Adama wrote:There are a few things I can name which need to be wiped from the face of the earth immediately:

1. Fractional Reserve Banking.
2. Usury.
3. Zionism.
4. Feminism.
5. Islam.

The world would be an infinitely better place without these five things.
1 through 4 are the islamic agenda. Congrats on your conversion.

xtravel
Freshman Poster
Posts: 93
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by xtravel » November 7th, 2017, 1:09 pm

delete
Last edited by xtravel on November 7th, 2017, 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtravel
Freshman Poster
Posts: 93
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by xtravel » November 7th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Misko_Varesanovic wrote:
Adama wrote:

Yohan, I would like to add some emphasis to this, if you'll allow me.
Mazen Al-Sersawi cites prominent Muslim scholar Imam Al-Shafi'i as saying because illegitimate daughters are not officially attributed to their fathers they can be married to them.
Two Muslim scholars. And it isn't like they are outliers. The one teaches at at the prestigious Egypt's Al-Azhar University, the other is a prominent Muslim scholar.

And what do they want to give men permission to do?

1. Islam allows men to have sex with their illegitimate daughters and marry them.
2. fathers can marry daughters born in adulterous relationships.
3. Adultery, because that's what he's talking about: getting married to the products of adultery.

I wonder what kind of moral lives these Muslims live out.

I have heard some truly terrible (sickening) things about Arabian Muslims in particular (not Egyptians). But if it is true, none of them should enter into the West.
What some Salafist cleric may or may not say does not change what the Islamic religion itself says. Just because a Buddhist cleric in Myanmar or a Christian Orthodox cleric in Serbia or Greece incites genocide against Muslims does not mean that Buddhism or Christianity permit genocide.

Image

When you drive a Buddhist to be violent, the problem is you, not him.

Misko_Varesanovic
Freshman Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: March 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Misko_Varesanovic » November 7th, 2017, 8:17 pm

Yohan wrote:
Misko_Varesanovic wrote: http://www.newsweek.com/bethlehem-easte ... ans-584908
Bethlehem is Struggling to Protect the Church of the Nativity
'The woman who holds the key didn’t want to talk.
'She goes by A’abla, and she’s a member of a Muslim family entrusted with the key to the church in Bethlehem, the West Bank city where Christians believe Jesus was born.'
I wonder why she does not want to talk....

The link you gave speaks for itself. See one certain picture and read some short text...
Nobody feels safe there....
Look past those pastures, however, and the city is surrounded by Israeli settlements with their white walls and red-tile roofs, their gun turrets and coils of barbed wire.
Extremist views ignore that history, and they ignore the living proof of Palestinian Christians and Muslims who live together in harmony today.
This place, called Bethlehem, is truly a combat zone and Christian activity in such places like Bethlehem and Jerusalem etc. is only possible with the protection of Israeli soldiers and Israeli border police carrying machine guns.

To call this situation 'to live together in harmony' because you show people around you a machine gun is an oxymoron.
Dude, you've just demonstrated that you literally don't have the first clue about what you're talking about. You've got the basic facts about one of the most-publicised global conflicts completely upside down.

Let me break it down for you:

1. The Israeli soldiers in Bethlehem are an occupying force. The lady in the article is scared of them.

2. The Palestinian Territories are often referred to as the Occupied Territories - the clue is in the name - by entities such as the United Nations:

'The term "Palestinian Territory, Occupied" was used by the United Nations (UN) and other international organizations between 1998 to 2013 in order to refer to areas controlled by the Palestinian National Authority. In December 2012, UN Secretariat communications replaced this by the term State of Palestine.[12] The ISO adopted the name change in 2013.[13] But, as of August 2015, the UN Security Council continues to treat Palestine as a non-sovereign entity;[14] this prevents its admission to UN General Assembly membership.[15]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_territories

Misko_Varesanovic
Freshman Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: March 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Misko_Varesanovic » November 7th, 2017, 8:24 pm

Adama wrote:I know that, Yohan. I am just saying. People are always mentioning the bad things that some Catholic priests do and the fact that Catholicism has sold out to evil, and then attributing that to Christianity.

I am just telling them, although Catholics are often good people, Catholicism itself has very little to do with Christianity. These poor Catholics are deceived because the Catholic church is the one that gained power, but it has nothing to do with Christ or God, and they do not adhere to God's Word. That church is a diversion from the truth, just like Islam, although a much more peaceable false doctrine.

Yohan, Catholicism has sold out to feminism. That's why I remind everyone. Catholicism is NOT Christianity. It is a poor imitation at best. Catholicism is just pomp and pageantry really.

Catholics are easier to get saved than Muslims because they haven't denied the divinity of Christ, which the Muslims do, but it is still a false religion.
If Catholicism has sold out to [third-wave] feminism, what about Protestantism?

1. Female priests;

2. Same-sex marriage ceremonies in churches;

3. No position against contraception.

In many countries, the Protestant churches have made their doctrine indistinguishable from the default mainstream secular position of the day. How does this constitute a viable spiritual alternative?

Misko_Varesanovic
Freshman Poster
Posts: 142
Joined: March 13th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Misko_Varesanovic » November 7th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Yohan wrote:
Adama wrote:Once again, Catholicism is not Christianity. Catholicism is about the Catholic church...
Honestly, Adama, I do not care at all if there are Catholics or Christians or if there are Catholic Christians etc. etc.

However I care a lot in this year of 2017, if I feel safe today in various countries and as you know, I am an immigrant too - however a legal immigrant - coming from Europe and moving to Asia.

I can say, that nowhere in this world I know about any Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Taoist etc. etc. who is threatening anybody with arson, murder and slavery because this other person is a follower of another religion.

Such ideology and extremist views you can nowadays only find in Islam.
There is, as you say, a big difference between followers of Islam and other religions: when someone does something heinous in the name of Islam, no matter how spuriously, Muslims - particularly the recognised religious authorities of mainstream Islam - generally do not hesitate to condemn said action. But when a Christian or a Buddhist or a Hindu commits an act of equal or greater evil, their own religious authorities are generally silent or worse. Check out this 2006 gem from the NYT:

'In the past several years, American evangelicals, and I am one of them, have amassed greater political power than at any time in our history. But at what cost to our witness and the integrity of our message?

'Recently, I took a few days to reread the war sermons delivered by influential evangelical ministers during the lead up to the Iraq war. That period, from the fall of 2002 through the spring of 2003, is not one I will remember fondly. Many of the most respected voices in American evangelical circles blessed the president's war plans, even when doing so required them to recast Christian doctrine.'

'Charles Stanley, pastor of the First Baptist Church of Atlanta, whose weekly sermons are seen by millions of television viewers, led the charge with particular fervor. "We should offer to serve the war effort in any way possible," said Mr. Stanley, a former president of the Southern Baptist Convention. "God battles with people who oppose him, who fight against him and his followers." In an article carried by the convention's Baptist Press news service, a missionary wrote that "American foreign policy and military might have opened an opportunity for the Gospel in the land of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob."'

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/20/opini ... diers.html

User avatar
Yohan
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2926
Joined: April 3rd, 2014, 6:05 am
Location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Re: The Truth Behind Islam

Post by Yohan » November 10th, 2017, 3:42 am

https://islamqa.info/en/69811

Interesting to read that Muslims are not allowed to wish any infidel and pagan a 'Happy New Year'.
I understand it about Christmas or Easter, but to wish a person, who is NOT a Muslim, to be happy and healthy this coming year is also against Islamic values?

New Year is NOT a religious festival.

And it is indeed impolite not to respond to somebody who is friendly and is greeting you, solely because of different religion.
Why not respond something like 'Have a nice time, good luck for your future, my friend' or whatever - just be polite and do not give another person the feeling you are arrogant and ignorant? He is greeting you and your religion is teaching you to look away from him and not to answer?

I see often here in Japan foreigners who for sure are not Buddhists/Shintoists, but likely Chinese atheists and Western Christians to visit temples and other historical sightseeing spots. Nobody is forcing you to pray there.

I also have seen many Buddhists, visiting the few historical churches in Japan, regardless if Catholic or Protestants.

Islam is a strange religion, followers might feel like in a prison. A religion not only about aggression, but also about isolation.
Sometimes I feel sad for Muslims, it must be very hard to follow this faith.
69811: Should he respond to non-Muslims when they wish him a Happy New Year?

Is it permissible for me to say to non-Muslims “And the same to you” when they wish me a Happy New Year or say Best Wishes?

Praise be to Allaah.
It is not permissible to greet or congratulate the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas, New Year or any of their other holidays, and it is not permissible to respond to them when they greet us on those occasions, because they are not festivals that are prescribed in our religion, and returning their greeting is an affirmation and approval of them. The Muslim should be proud of his religion and its rulings, and he should be keen to call others and convey to them the religion of Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) was asked about the ruling on greeting the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas and how we should respond when they greet us on this occasion. Is it permissible to go to the parties that they hold on this occasion?

Is a person sinning if he does any of the things mentioned without intending to, and he only does it to be nice, or because of or shyness or embarrassment or other reasons? Is it permissible to imitate them in that?

He replied:

Greeting the kuffaar on the occasion of Christmas or any of their other religious holidays is haraam according to scholarly consensus, as was stated by Ibn al-Qayyim in his book Ahkaam Ahl al-Dhimmah, where he says:

"Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying ‘A happy festival to you’ or ‘May you enjoy your festival,’ and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on. Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of Allaah."

-----

Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not accept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because Allaah does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

"If you disbelieve, then verily, Allaah is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. .
[al-Zumar 39:7]

". . .
This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islaam as your religion . .

[al-Maa’idah 5:3]

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to Allaah. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islaam, with which Allaah sent Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to the whole of mankind. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

"Whoever seeks a religion other than Islaam, it will never be accepted of him, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers."

[Aal ‘Imraan 3:85]

It is haraam for a Muslim to accept invitations on such occasions, because this is worse than congratulating them as it implies taking part in their celebrations.

Similarly, Muslims are forbidden to imitate the kuffaar by having parties on such occasions, or exchanging gifts, or giving out sweets or food, or taking time off work, etc., because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "Whoever imitates a people is one of them." Shaykh al-Islaam Ibn Taymiyah said in his book Iqtidaa’ al-Siraat al-Mustaqeem Mukhaalifat Ashaab al-Jaheem: "Imitating them in some of their festivals implies that one is pleased with their false beliefs and practices, and gives them the hope that they may have the opportunity to humiliate and mislead the weak

End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen, 3/44.

And Allaah knows best.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Religion and Spirituality”