The problem with the typical Christian mindset!

Discuss religion and spirituality topics.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

The problem with the typical Christian mindset!

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Me and my father were having a debate Friday regarding a YouTube personality that I follow. His name is Tommy Sotomayor (on YouTube, he talks about issues in the black community). I posted a lot of his videos on my Facebook, and it got to the point where the stuff he talked about in his videos got so "offensive" to my father that he eventually asked me to either stop posting his videos or unfriend him. I unfriended him because I feel that what Tommy Sotomayor does is right, and I intend to stand on the side of right, even if it means that I stand AGAINST the man I hold most dear to me. He eventually said that since the contents of his videos (what the people in TS' videos were doing) were "evil", Tommy was a "disciple/agent of evil" for "spreading" it, and he even referred to me as a "disciple of evil" because I follow this man. I don't get how that man could be an agent of evil for exposing the BS in the black community. By his logic, it could have been argued that Jesus was himself an agent of evil, because Jesus did plenty of exposing and calling out of the B.S. that the Pharisees and his own people were on. Hell, he even called out his own crew when they messed up. Hell, he went apeshit on a group of money changers in the temple! I'm pretty damned sure that if YouTube existed back in the days of the Roman Empire, Jesus would have been doing videos just like TS. Yet my father failed to see that (and I didn't mention that to him, but I might in the future).

The reason I brought that up is because I tried to mention some positive stuff he is working on/has already done for the black community and he basically said "he didn't care because Tommy wasn't 'saved'" (the reason for this thread). He then proceeded to say that if someone isn't saved, then what old they actually do in the world won't matter in the end (referring to god and the final judgement). I repeatedly asked my father why TS was so evil. He threw out some bible verses and that's where I told him "that's not good enough". He then said that if the bible isn't good enough, then I'm "lost" (seems to be a common put-down amongst Xtians when they don't have a valid argument) and that if I have a problem then I should ask god. I told him that I wasn't asking god, I was asking HIM because HE was the one that made the claim (and not god).

That's one of the problems with most Xtians: if someone isn't saved or doesn't share their religious faith, then any good they are doing/have done/will do is thrown out the window in their eyes. I was thinking about what my father said over the weekend, and literally about an hour before beginning this, I came to the conclusion that Xtians developed that mindset as a defence mechanism to cope with the fact that most "infidels" (nonbelievers; non-Xtians and atheists alike) are doing more to help better the world and the human race than they (Xtians) are. In other words, the infidels are showing Xtians up in their own mission.
The Xtians don't like it one bit, so they cope with it by telling theirselves that "what they are doing wont matter in the end because they're not saved". Also, the hypocrisy of Xtians is staggering, even more so than a "nonbeliever" because it is not expected. For instance, my father talking down on TS for exposing the ills in the black community (yet not saying anything against the people actually doing wrong, using the excuse that "since he's not god, he can't condemn them"--that's not what I meant by "condemn the people who are actually doing wrong!!!!), yet he won't say one word against Jesus, who did his day's equivalent of what TS does, which was calling out the B.S. of his community. Hell, he called out his own people when they rejected his message and messiahship (I forget the location, but part of the verse was "How I wanted to gather you like a mother hen gathers her chicks, but you wouldn't let me!).

What do you think? Even though this is a thread I posted on another forum, this debate actually happened.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

What do I think?

I think you unfriended your father over a religious disagreement which you insist upon putting in his face. And I think you want a pat on the back for that, from faceless internet friends on HA.

I think that you have made a mistake because of your lack of maturity and your misguided priorities in life. I think that you lack wisdom because of your youth, and that you place too much importance on being "right" in a disagreement.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

You're wrong, Devil Dog

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Actually, DD, you're wrong. I unfriended him AT HIS REQUEST because I wasn't going to stop following someone on YouTube because my father was so deeply offended by the content of their videos. He then tried to use religious nonsense to justify him asking me to stop following him. If he didn't like the videos I was posting, he could have ignored them.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Re: The problem with the typical Christian mindset!

Post by Devil Dog »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:...I posted a lot of his videos on my Facebook...
Following allows you to see TS updates.

Posting puts TS in front of your father.

Am I misunderstanding something?