Xiongmao Returns to Bangkok

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Xiongmao Returns to Bangkok

Post by xiongmao »

Just a quick trip report from Bangkok. As some of you know I lived here for half of 2013. I met a few of you who were living here/just passing through. I had some great times here then. So I thought I'd check it out by having an extended layover on the way back to farangland.

First impressions... Nothing has changed. It's just the same same as it was 5 years ago. Maybe that's why so many people love it so much.

Seriously, if I go away for a long weekend in China then come back to my city I see all kinds of changes.

But not much has changed in Bangkok.

I see Sukhumvit has been somewhat cleaned up. The sidewalk clogging market where I nearly got my man bag snatched has almost gone.

Immigration is stricter now. I got a quick look over because I had an Ed visa from years ago, they're definitely not keen on long stayers using semi-legit visas.

A few of the beer bars in Nana Soi 4 are different. But many of my favourite places are still here. And Mos Burger is still in Terminal 21.

Not sure there are many good ladies in this street. When you're used to the stunning white legged Chinese ladies of Zhejiang then Bangkok will be a let down. But the room cleaning girl in my hotel is very cute.

I bought some Western foods I've not seen for months. It's quite cheap here in CNY terms.

I'm sober as I'm out of sync with the window of opportunity for buying beer. Actually I feel fitter than I was 5 years ago. I think living in China is good for losing weight.

Looking forward to chatting to random Brits abroad and moaning about how sh1t our country has become :oops: .
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Xiongmao Returns to Bangkok

Post by Yohan »

Nice to hear you are in Bangkok now. Maybe you should consider to visit also Pattaya nearby. Now is summer off season, not so many people here.
I am now in Pattaya/Jomtien. If you are only into retirement and enjoy to be a tourist, Pattaya is better than Bangkok if you ask me.

Yes, Thai immigration and also Thai consulates overseas are getting more carefully about screening people who prefer to stay long-term.
Not really a problem for me however, as I am holding a 12-month-retirement visa and most of my family members, all Japanese, never stay longer than a few weeks, just 30 day stamp.

In general, Thailand did not change so much... about the same as you said during the last years....
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Xiongmao Returns to Bangkok

Post by xiongmao »

Thanks - yes Rock introduced me to Pattaya before. It was a lot of fun though I've heard it's less fun now.

I see the SkyTrain is being extended - will it eventually go to Pattaya?

On the downside the central core is well over capacity now - typical Thai planning lol.

Ekkamai is the same same as before. A few restaurants have changed. The Gateway Mall is more low key Japanese - maybe to attract more Chinese visitors.

Prices wise Bangkok is pretty similar to East China although the SkyTrain is twice the cost of Chinese metro services.

It's weird being able to Google without having to f^ck around with VPNs.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.