HAers at the Battle of Berkeley

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

HAers at the Battle of Berkeley

Post by Cornfed »

Five members of the forum were meeting up in the Bay Area recently. The topic of the pro-Free Speech, pro-Trump rally at Berkeley came up. I wanted to attend because I have been reading and posting about alt-right related topics on the Internet a lot, and so I figured I should attend something in the flesh while I had the chance. Another member wanted to document the violence that he hoped would happen. The rest thought it would be interesting. So we agreed to go along.

We agreed in advance that we would be non-combatants, but then we didn’t think there would be much combat. We thought it would be mostly hours of boring speeches punctuated with some trouble. Nope.

The rally was to be held in a particular square. We entered through the (I think) South East corner. I saw a phalanx of black-clad masked people marching down the street towards me. There were a mixture of people - masked, unmasked, normal etc. lining the square. As I was standing in the street, it occurred to me that I was in the worst possible position, in that I was standing between the Antifa in the street and the more militant Trumpers in the square. I made a split second decision and jumped the plastic mesh barrier to join the Trumpers, who seemed to accept me. I noticed that two HAers had done the same thing. I beckoned the other two to come over to our side, but for some reason they chose to stay on the sidewalk between the combatants, but they were shielded from the bad guy side by a large van.

The hostilities started somewhat civilly as you would expect. But then there were objects thrown by the Antifa side, including powerful fireworks, which really made my adrenaline pump. Trumpers threw water bottles back and some walked out to jostle or punch Antifa, but other Trumpers yelled, “Don’t throw anything - get back” - presumably because they wanted to maintain their defensive posture.

An Antifa girl got up on something to try to take down an anti-Antifa poster posted on a concrete wall across the street. A masked man standing beside me with a good football arm fired a plastic soda bottle at her, which shattered just inches from her head, causing her to step down. The people around him, including me, gave him a cheer. Then a more serious fight broke out. A bunch of people started fighting. A couple of Trumpers emerged from between vehicles with their faces streaming with blood from busted noses - but we expected that, right? A big guy was dragged back into the square after he had been knocked out.

This resulted in a tense standoff, which was broken by an Antifa guy running into the Trump camp and hitting a Trumper before trying to run away. Unfortunately he was tackled and attacked by many people. The thing that saved him may have been that there were so many people attacking him that they couldn’t get past one another. The cry went out “Spread out -hold the line”. They were worried that Antifa were going to outflank us where I was, so men peeled off attacking the infiltrator to participate in the the melee to stand each side of me…
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: HAers at the Battle of Berkeley

Post by Cornfed »

continued...

The tougher Antifa guys marshalled to support their comrade and the brawl migrated into the street, which the Trumpers seemed to be getting the better of. In the only instance where I saw them actually doing anything, a block of riot police that had been station in the square moved trough the Trumpers, who parted, into the Antifa mob in the street. I imagine their motive was to rescue the Antifa infiltrator, who could be presumed to be in pretty bad shape at this point, along with other Atifas. As they were doing this, Antifa dickheads threw numerous fireworks into their midst. This prompted the police to club the Antifa scum around them, causing them to fall back, allowing the police to migrate back into the square, dragging the people they had rescued or arrested or whatever with them. The Trumpers chanted “Blue lives matter”. Ironic on many levels. An Antifa guy jumped up on the hood of an SUV to film us. Trumpers shouted at him to get off the car. He said “It isn’t your car…” and a Trumper ran forward and pushed him off.

After that, Antifa marched around the corner, and we were on a high. The HAer filming this slapped me on the back while laughing. A woman asked “What did your friend make you do?.” I said “No, nothing.” Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. There was some further scuffling around the corner, but nothing seemed to come of it. We followed the Antifa round. Standing in the corner with no-one else around I was rather alarmed to see two young masked Antifa guys enter the square and wondered whether I would have to defend myself, but they just stomped down a section of the plastic mesh fence before wandering off to join their comrades. When the Antifa crowd rounded the next corner they were pushed back down the street away from the square.

The lull in the action allowed us to look around. I was surprised to note the Trumpers were ethnically diverse and eclectic. There were Oathkeepers, Jefferson independence people, alt-righters, European nationalists etc. Basically anyone not down with the New World Order. The Antifa crowd were also ethnically diverse, but otherwise an amorphous blob, like something out of a zombie horror film as one HAer put it. While looking around I noticed a few Trumpers, including a black kid, coming to the center of the square to be treaded for having been pepper sprayed.

At some point Antifa managed to push their way back towards the square. I’m not sure how it happened. The Trumpers came running back down the street shouting “No retreat” while retreating. They fell back to the edge of the square allowing Antifa to occupy the opposite side of the street and a punch-up ensued. At this point I noticed a couple of lefties debating politics with Trumpers who were surprisingly well tolerated. I’d like to see them go out and debate their fellow progressives.

The Antifa on the opposite sidewalk started throwing stuff over the heads of the combatants into the square. First plastic water bottles and then, for some reason bagels. I heard something land at my feet and looked down expecting to see a bagel, but instead it was a firework. I just had time to yell a warning and cover my ears before it exploded. Then several fireworks landed all around. With no point in running I covered my face and ears and waited for them to explode. After they did, an HAer standing a few yards away came and said to me “Oh look, I’ve picked up a souvenir” and indeed he was bleeding from a small wound to his left arm.

Three of us went with him to the space where the Oathkeepers were dispensing first aid to have his wound treated. The guy being treaded in front of him looked to have a fairly nasty injury to the back of his head. Other people were being treaded for pepper spray. I went off to find the remaining HAer and we had a group discussion where we decided to leave. I was glad to go. It had been great fun, but we were tempting fate and as a non-combatant, there is a limit to how much you want to stand around and have dirtbags throw fireworks at you. As we were leaving, "Stickman" Chapman was calling out "All you warriors get over here" in preparation for another fight. We walked out the way we came it. There were small groups of lefties wandering around and I was worried about being attacked. “Stay together guys, lets get out of the danger zone” I said. However, no-one else was worried and we walked away without incident. All in all, an interesting experience.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

This video captures the original scene described. The poster seen on the wall is the one the girl was trying to take down. I appear at around 3:50. Jeeze, I didn’t realize I was that bald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcTgJrxzkoE
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yes, interesting for sure. Any other attendees want to weigh in? I'm curious about who made their way to the Bay Area, as I don't think we have any currently participating members living there.

Did you inquire of the motley antagonists about how much Soros was paying them to show up and raise hell?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

gsjackson wrote:Yes, interesting for sure. Any other attendees want to weigh in? I'm curious about who made their way to the Bay Area, as I don't think we have any currently participating members living there.

Did you inquire of the motley antagonists about how much Soros was paying them to show up and raise hell?
We have at least one member living there, and it is a good central place to meet up for our group that meets up for a different reason than being HAers. I decided not to name any people in this report in case they didn’t want to be associated with me, but if they want to chime in and identify themselves then fine. We agreed that we could use our usernames, so if we put ourselves in a situation with each other, then fine. As to interviewing people, I didn’t do that. A couple of members did. Perhaps they could report on that if they so choose. I just didn’t think it was the time or the place.
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

I'm a former Trumper who has been incredibly disappointed in Trump. Having said that, ANTIFA's are violent idiots who are small minded and anti-free speech. I'm suprised the Trumpers got their butts kicked by a bunch of hippes, leftists and other scum.

California is a loony asylum. Why would any normal person live in that place?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

zboy1 wrote:I'm suprised the Trumpers got their butts kicked by a bunch of hippes, leftists and other scum.
Eh, everyone agrees that the Trumpers won this one, despite the scum having police protection.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

I was there and since I dislike both sides, I think I am an impartial observer. I must say that Antifa was significantly worse. Both sides basically came to fight, which they did. There was no real conversation happening there. Antifa was all mindless zombies and anyone who didn't fit their mold had to be in the Trump area.

The one group that really impressed me was the Oath Keepers. They were the most civilized people and I was actually able to talk to one of them. I did try to talk to a few other people, but they couldn't deal with me/criticism.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

fschmidt wrote:I was there and since I dislike both sides, I think I am an impartial observer. I must say that Antifa was significantly worse. Both sides basically came to fight, which they did. There was no real conversation happening there. Antifa was all mindless zombies and anyone who didn't fit their mold had to be in the Trump area.
Yeah, fschmidt was the one who got his arm injured in the fireworks barrage described.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

I was also there.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

gsjackson wrote:Yes, interesting for sure. Any other attendees want to weigh in? I'm curious about who made their way to the Bay Area, as I don't think we have any currently participating members living there.

Many people on this forum live in the Bay Area. At least I know of two. I am one person who lives there.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

Here is an interview with Nathan Domigo, they guy who punched over that Antifa bitch. Seems like an awesome guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79iRxux0Msg
Last edited by Cornfed on May 2nd, 2017, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

fschmidt wrote: The one group that really impressed me was the Oath Keepers. They were the most civilized people and I was actually able to talk to one of them. I did try to talk to a few other people, but they couldn't deal with me/criticism.
They may be the most civilised but are certainly the stupidest. They are trying to disassociate themselves from white nationalism, as if hordes of third world primitives flooding America are going to give a shit about their constitution. America without Americans. Libertardian beliefs like theirs are a self-extinguishing death cult, really just a different take on cultural Marxism.
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Bike lock attacker arrested: http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/05/26/ ... ly-weapon/

Cheers

Eric
Experienced Poster

Post by Eric »

fschmidt wrote:I was there and since I dislike both sides, I think I am an impartial observer. I must say that Antifa was significantly worse. Both sides basically came to fight, which they did. There was no real conversation happening there. Antifa was all mindless zombies and anyone who didn't fit their mold had to be in the Trump area.

The one group that really impressed me was the Oath Keepers. They were the most civilized people and I was actually able to talk to one of them. I did try to talk to a few other people, but they couldn't deal with me/criticism.

Lol. It would've been fun to beat someone's ass in.
Misery and happiness are only states of mind.