My pictures from Asia & S. Pacific from 1980s

Post your trip reports, travel experiences, and updates abroad. Or your expat story if you already live overseas. Note: To post photos and images, insert the image URL between the tags Image after uploading them to a third party site.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Re: My pictures from Asia & S. Pacific from 1980s

Post by pandabear »

WorldTraveler wrote:I could only see your King of Tonga videos. I'd love to see the others. What were you doing to visit so many countries and islands back in the 1980s. I'm trying to scan my old travel pictures too. It's a laborious task.
That's my only travel video so far. I liked the tune, and thought that I could make music video for it with my photos.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

My website is back up, and I've added some more countries:

http://losinger.altervista.org/photos.html

Altervista gives a maximum traffic limit of 15 gb per month for cheapskates like me who don't want to pay anything, and, November just started in Europe. So, it starts again.

I've also added a section of digital pictures (animals, flowers, fruits--not really relevant to Happier Abroad), and there I am experimenting with using IMGUR to host the photos. From IMGUR's FAQs, I have to contrive to view each picture at least once every 6 months, or it may be deleted.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

pandabear wrote:My website is back up, and I've added some more countries:

Altervista gives a maximum traffic limit of 15 gb per month for cheapskates like me who don't want to pay anything, and, November just started in Europe. So, it starts again.

I've also added a section of digital pictures (animals, flowers, fruits--not really relevant to Happier Abroad), and there I am experimenting with using IMGUR to host the photos. From IMGUR's FAQs, I have to contrive to view each picture at least once every 6 months, or it may be deleted.
I enjoyed you pictures of Asia and the Pacific in the 1980s. Congratulations on getting them all scanned. I've been scanning all my old photos and it is quite a job. I notice there were no tourist in you Thai pictures. Was it the day of the week or did Thailand just not get tourist back then. I was in Bangkik in 1990 and in 2012 too. Wat Arun is very dirty now from all the pollution. The Grand Palace and all the temples are all packed with tourists now.

Where is you wife from? Did you meet overseas? Do you travel over to Asia regularly? Any plans to live in Asia again?
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Maybe there were fewer tourists back then. The wife is from the Philippines. We met there. I don't do a lot of travelling any more. For one thing, I'm older and have some health issues.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

pandabear wrote:Maybe there were fewer tourists back then. The wife is from the Philippines. We met there. I don't do a lot of travelling any more. For one thing, I'm older and have some health issues.
I love the Philippines and lived in Philippines for 2 years in Samar. I noticed in your pictures, Manila didn't look crowded like it is today. Manila is so polluted today. What town or island is your wife from? Did you used to go back to the Philippines regularly? Do your children like the Philippines?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Fascinating time capsules! The temples and historic sites of course look the same as today for the most part. But the street scenes, market scenes, and photo of people tell a very different story. Back then, I don't think many westerners ventured into China too. I bet you often got treated like a circus attraction or alien from outer space lol. I've got a slow Internet connection at this moment so I couldn't even manage to see all your China photos and other parts of your blogs/vids. But I'm gonna spend time with it soon when I have fast Internet again. Very fascinating and really appreciate you sharing all this.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

Rock wrote:Fascinating time capsules! The temples and historic sites of course look the same as today for the most part. But the street scenes, market scenes, and photo of people tell a very different story. Back then, I don't think many westerners ventured into China too. I bet you often got treated like a circus attraction or alien from outer space lol. I've got a slow Internet connection at this moment so I couldn't even manage to see all your China photos and other parts of your blogs/vids. But I'm gonna spend time with it soon when I have fast Internet again. Very fascinating and really appreciate you sharing all this.
That one picture of me doing the bunny ears to the Chinese soldiers--the soldiers saw me, and wanted to take turns getting their picture taken standing next to me. I became a tourist attraction.

In one of the rural areas, a group of kids acted like I was a ghost.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

WorldTraveler wrote:
pandabear wrote:Maybe there were fewer tourists back then. The wife is from the Philippines. We met there. I don't do a lot of travelling any more. For one thing, I'm older and have some health issues.
I love the Philippines and lived in Philippines for 2 years in Samar. I noticed in your pictures, Manila didn't look crowded like it is today. Manila is so polluted today. What town or island is your wife from? Did you used to go back to the Philippines regularly? Do your children like the Philippines?
She is originally from Southern Leyte, and we met in Cebu. I have some more recent Philippines digital pictures coming up--I'm still working on that page. I couldn't find a lot of my older non-digital pictures of the Philippines, though--I think they are around the house, somewhere.

Every time the wife goes there, she goes into home-renovation mode (her favorite channel, after TFC, is HGTV). Her mother's house is now the most beautiful in the barrio. At least the construction labor is cheap over there.
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

pandabear wrote:
WorldTraveler wrote:
She is originally from Southern Leyte, and we met in Cebu. I have some more recent Philippines digital pictures coming up--I'm still working on that page. I couldn't find a lot of my older non-digital pictures of the Philippines, though--I think they are around the house, somewhere.

Every time the wife goes there, she goes into home-renovation mode (her favorite channel, after TFC, is HGTV). Her mother's house is now the most beautiful in the barrio. At least the construction labor is cheap over there.
It's amazing what $100 or 5000 PHP will buy. I bought my girlfriend's parents house a new native ceiling in all the rooms. It looked fabulous. Her cousin did it. For about the same price they put in the cracked tiles for the whole floor and counter tops in the kitchen dining area. A little bit of money can go very far in the provinces.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

I got my digital photos of the Philippines up:

http://losinger.altervista.org/philippinesdigital.html
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Great stuff, peaceful looking places and people
Stole quite a few as usual

but PS my personal faves are always the pigs
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

I've added a few more travel photos

Mainly to Korea and Burma, but also some other sections here and there.

For the photos that I just added, I used higher file size, which is using up my allotted space. Early on, I was using smaller file sizes, thinking that a browser might not be able to handle a photo that was more than 12-or-so inches in length or width. But, I've learned that, as long as you aren't using Internet Explorer, then there isn't a problem.

I might eventually put some of the photos to Imgur, like I did for the digital photos section. But, I'll take a break--I don't need to jump into it just yet.

I was thinking of using the pictures to make some slide shows next. Maybe set to music of the 1980s for the country that I'm working on. If I can think of it or find some. I used to have some cassette tapes, but I think that I got rid of them a long time ago.

I was using Walgreens to scan my old 35 mm slides into jpg files--but, in January, they are going to get a new photo-printing system which won't all them to do that any more. So, I have until January to do any additional slides that I want, unless I want to buy my own scanner that does slides.

This seems like a good idea of something to do with your old pictures--rather than just leaving them in an album on a shelf or in a drawer. I'm not famous enough to display my photos in a gallery or museum. And, anyone in the whole world who is interested can look at them.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

I got a Japan slide show up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4dqckuF8LU

All that I did in Japan was visit the Naritasan Temple between flights, so I didn't have too much to work with here.
Last edited by pandabear on February 1st, 2015, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
pandabear
Veteran Poster

Post by pandabear »

I did one with my animal pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xiUJJ5mxjM

I think that it came out pretty well, and my music selection set the mood.

Some of the pictures are international (especially the piggies, buffaloes, and some of the monkeys). I brought the rest of my slides to Walgreens for processing. I'll work on more comprehensive country-by-country slide shows after I get them back.
Last edited by pandabear on February 1st, 2015, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

pandabear wrote:My website is back up, and I've added some more countries:

Try Picasaweb. If you sign up a Google + account, you get unlimited photo (2048x2048) and video (15 min or less per clip) storage:
https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/6558?rd=1